H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

I know I mentioned this awhile ago, sorry for taking my sweet old time getting some pics online. So we recently went on a road trip w/ my new '05 ( over 3k miles ) for the holidays to visit various family and do some vacationing. I got the SMA Tire carrier to get the spare out of the truck and when I bought the rig I got the hard pod for the roof, now the final step was clearing out the trunk area for our dogs...I didn't want to half fast it so I did the research and measurements to get it all right the first time.

First Step: Dog Barrier
I looked at all the dog barriers online and whatever I could find in stores, turns out people in NJ LOVE the Tubular dog barriers and I have no idea why, the last thing I want to see out of my rear view is a bunch of damn tubes, and especially since the tire on the back kills some of your rearview vision, I really wanted the crate like dog barriers...and I wanted the kennel-air...took a long ass time to find one ( waited till the last minute couldn't order online during the holidays )...finally picked up this one: Kennel-Aire Vehicle Dog Barrier

Second Step: Dog Bed/Pretection
This was actually an afterthought, but a good one....and we stumbled on this mat which happened to be EXACTLY the right size...Flexi-Mat SUV Pad

Here is the first pic ( you can also see our dogs cage folded up and bungeed against the back seat on the vehicle barrier ( added protection to the bottom of the rear of the seat )
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

I know I mentioned this awhile ago, sorry for taking my sweet old time getting some pics online. So we recently went on a road trip w/ my new '05 ( over 3k miles ) for the holidays to visit various family and do some vacationing. I got the SMA Tire carrier to get the spare out of the truck and when I bought the rig I got the hard pod for the roof, now the final step was clearing out the trunk area for our dogs...I didn't want to half fast it so I did the research and measurements to get it all right the first time.

I looked at all the dog barriers online and whatever I could find in stores, turns out people in NJ LOVE the Tubular dog barriers and I have no idea why, the last thing I want to see out of my rear view is a bunch of damn tubes, and especially since the tire on the back kills some of your rearview vision, I really wanted the crate like dog barriers...and I wanted the kennel-air...took a long ass time to find one ( waited till the last minute couldn't order online during the holidays )...finally picked up this one: Kennel-Aire Vehicle Dog Barrier

This was actually an afterthought, but a good one....and we stumbled on this mat which happened to be EXACTLY the right size...Flexi-Mat SUV Pad

Here is the first pic ( you can also see our dogs cage folded up and bungeed against the back seat on the vehicle barrier ( added protection to the bottom of the rear of the seat )
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

Old 01-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

pic1
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

pic2
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

VERY nice. I have the tubular setup, and my Dal has already figured out if he wedges his head between the bar sets, he can get them to shift. How stable is the barrier when it's up? If my dogs hit the bottom braces on the tubular setup, they can shift it and knock it over, which has been a problem. I definitely need something different from my current setup, this looks like it may work.

Thanks again for posting those pics, I know a lot of folks here have pups.

Stacy
Old 01-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

I have a Dal too, kept him snug in the back and the barrier didn't move, we drove from Jersey to FL and back.

Last time I attempted the drive with my last car, a Lincoln LS, my Dal DROVE ME ABSOLUTELY INSANE the entire ride...whinning, standing up, dancing around the back seat, wet nose in my ear...etc....for a short trip, its a treat...for a long trip I wanted to make him into puppy jerky...this trip, I didn't even know he existed in the back and he had plenty of room to circle around, stare/bark at cars & people, sleep and knaw on bones. I think he loved it as much as I did ( oh and last trip I ended up stopping about twice as much to let him out because of the non-stop crap in the back seat...this trip, only when the beast needed gas )

There are legs on the bottom of this one too that could be 'bumped' to shift the top I guess, but as you can see the cage protected it....you can tighten the height of the setup too to prevent shift ( I didnt make it too tight because it starts to push into the cushion in the roof, but thought about maybe protecting the roof w/ some wood/foam )

regardless the entire setup cost me $150 bucks, and was pricesless in terms of peace of mind for me and the pup.

let me know if you'd like any other details/pics, I still haven't taken down the barrier.

-Tully
Old 06-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale
Default Re: H2 SUV Rear Truck Dog Setup

Anyone do anything like this recently? The metal barrier has become a PITA so I was thinking about getting the Pet Net Mesh Barrier and wondered if anyone else has gone this route and what the quality was like...?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Just toss the dog on the seat.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Hummer Authority

Not a dog.

Stacy
Old 06-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Hummer Expert

OldHiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, just like children, I want them secured in case of a panic stop or worse. Since my dog Thor weighs in at about 110, I don't want him flying towards me.

I have a slightly used barrier in my basement. He bumped up against it and it fell down. Absolutely not safe in my opinion.

I recently lost my second, Zeus, another 110+ lb Rottweiller. I had them both in separate crates. Of course, I did not try any long trips with them. When my wife and I traveled, they had fun at camp. (We never told them it was a kennel. That would upset them.)
Old 06-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

Yeah, I've had my Dalmatian in the front seat w/ a doggie seat-belt thingy and he was great...the harness is a pain though and his damn white fur all over my black interior/leather was just not fun to clean up....he likes it much more jumping around in the trunk...

I've had the experience w/ the barrier falling only once and I blame myself for not securing it enough....still its a pain to get in and out....so I was thinking Mesh would be a good option for keeping his wet snout/paws off of the other seats.

I've seen mesh in a few other vehicles, but it looked sooooo nice I figured it was a customized thing from the Volvo/Mercedes etc dealers that i've seen fit into those rides...

I might just have to bite the bullet and pickup one to see for myself if no-one else has gone this route.

-Tully
Old 06-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point

Custom K-9 cages......When cost is not an object.

http://www.k9-specialties.com/K9cages.html
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

rifle is off the scale

Have you guys/gals considered a training/shock collar for the dogs? The kind used for training bird dogs. They don't hurt the dogs, have an adjustable shock level and will solve the problem of messing with a barrier.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Hummer Professional

Motohead is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
Just toss the dog on the seat.

nice rat.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle
Have you guys/gals considered a training/shock collar for the dogs? The kind used for training bird dogs. They don't hurt the dogs, have an adjustable shock level and will solve the problem of messing with a barrier.

Depends on the dog. We have the buried-wire containment system at our house, which has a shock collar. The freakin' Dalmatian will slink up to the wire to the point where he starts getting shocked, just stand there with his neck twitching until he drains the battery in his collar, then goes past the wire. The only effective device for keeping that dog off the truck barrier is a baseball bat.

Anyone want a free Dal?

Stacy
Old 06-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead
nice rat.
HEY!!!