H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

RMST is off the scale

Thinking hard about the H3. Have a client who owns a car dealership and he can get one but he keeps bad mouthing it. He wants me to stay in my 6 cylinder VW Toureg or upgrade to an 8. He thinks that I'll hate the H3 because it's underpowered with the I5. I told him that I wasn't buying it to drag race it. Has anyone honestly been bothered by a lack of on road power?

Also, are there any rumors of an engine upgrade in future models of the H3?

Thanks for the feedback. This is a great site.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

RMST is off the scale

Thinking hard about the H3. Have a client who owns a car dealership and he can get one but he keeps bad mouthing it. He wants me to stay in my 6 cylinder VW Toureg or upgrade to an 8. He thinks that I'll hate the H3 because it's underpowered with the I5. I told him that I wasn't buying it to drag race it. Has anyone honestly been bothered by a lack of on road power?

Also, are there any rumors of an engine upgrade in future models of the H3?

Thanks for the feedback. This is a great site.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:04 PM

afretiree is off the scale

We just got our H3 yesterday and it seems ok so far. More power than the Disco 2 we had before but less torque. Might be a problem pulling a trailer over mountains but not for everyday use.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

I feel my H3 has very good acceleration power.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.4L PSD, XLT, 4x4, LB.
2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2003 Land Rover Discovery S.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
2007 Harley Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:38 PM

richk is off the scale

I am just passing 1500 miles and the H3 just seems to be getting faster. I'm sure some of it has to do with getting used to the acceleration.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:46 PM

H3OH is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone honestly been bothered by a lack of on road power? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Not one bit. In fact, I feel that I keep up just fine with the crowds at the line (usually out front of them) and on the road and I don't have to gun it to feel that way, and I don't even creep over the 3000 RPM mark doing it! Sure, it's not a speed demon, but for every day use and off-roading it's just fine. Easy on the tank too!

Ditch the Toureg and go for the H3. Your client is probably just jealous that he can't have an H3! When you get it, park under the Arch and get a sweet shot of it!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Hummer Professional

aggiehummer...er is off the scale

You get used to the acceleration really quickly. I drive one everyday (and test drive them as well), and my experiences have been that if you floor it from a standstill, you're going to make a lot of noise and not go anywhere. If you give it solid foot and listen to the engine, you'll learn really quickly when it's about to shift and whatnot.

I haven't had a problem getting up to (and above) highway speed, or passing anyone either. The best way is to drive one yourself (Avis rents them) for awhile to see if you get used to it.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

I was worried about the power too, coming from a V8, but until you drive one yourself there is no way to tell if it will work for you. As H3OH and aggie said, after a while you get used to how the H3 drives and it doesn't seem "underpowered" at all. I regularly drive 75-80 on the freeway and have plenty of passing power.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Black_H3 is off the scale

BLAH!!!

Was coming back from Busch Gardens on Monday, a black H2 and myself flew 90 mph+ all the way home. All the stopping and accelerating "Little Brother" kept up

Like ricjk said, you just need to get used to the gas pedal and how it accelerates.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

Sharkster is off the scale

The H3 is DEFINITELY NOT underpowered. It lives up to the H2 performance figures... and who complains about an H2 being "underpowered"
Old 08-16-2005, 09:10 PM

H3OH is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and who complains about an H2 being "underpowered" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More like being "underfed" with gasoline!