H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dewi2005 is off the scale

Ok... I got tired of the power cord for my radar detector hanging across my dash so that it could get power from one of my 12 vdc power ports. So, I installed a Cigarette lighter port in my overhead console so the power for the radar detector could come from near the detector instead of all the way down by the center console. I also installed a small switch so the power to the power port could be turned on and off.

Steps needed to complete this.[list]
<LI>Remove overhead console and let it lay on the dash.
<LI>Locate +12vdc (I used the sunroof switch +12vdc so it would turn on/off with the key.
<LI>Tap into the +12vdc and ground
<LI>Run in and out of new switch, install switch in console
<LI>Drill hole large enough to fit the Power port assembly.
<LI>Install power port into the overhead console. Solder positive wire to center stud of power port, and solder negative (ground) wire to the outside of the power port.
<LI>Test proper connection with a volt meter to ensure correct install.
<LI>Re-install overhead console - Your done.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ok... I got tired of the power cord for my radar detector hanging across my dash so that it could get power from one of my 12 vdc power ports. So, I installed a Cigarette lighter port in my overhead console so the power for the radar detector could come from near the detector instead of all the way down by the center console. I also installed a small switch so the power to the power port could be turned on and off.

Steps needed to complete this.[list]
<LI>Remove overhead console and let it lay on the dash.
<LI>Locate +12vdc (I used the sunroof switch +12vdc so it would turn on/off with the key.
<LI>Tap into the +12vdc and ground
<LI>Run in and out of new switch, install switch in console
<LI>Drill hole large enough to fit the Power port assembly.
<LI>Install power port into the overhead console. Solder positive wire to center stud of power port, and solder negative (ground) wire to the outside of the power port.
<LI>Test proper connection with a volt meter to ensure correct install.
<LI>Re-install overhead console - Your done.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks nice and clean Dewi...Now get to the XM

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 01-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

BTW.. Yes, I did wash off the dirt before the pictures... those are rock chips in the windshield .... It is a Colorado vehicle!!
Old 01-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DDWH:
Looks nice and clean Dewi...Now get to the XM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should get to that XM thing this week... gotta turn that heater on in my garage.. only got up to about 15F here today.. Not that cold in the garage, but still a bit cold.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:45 AM

rodster is off the scale

Nice work. Good clean install.

You do something special to make the suction cups stay on?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:49 AM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dewi2005:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DDWH:
Looks nice and clean Dewi...Now get to the XM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should get to that XM thing this week... gotta turn that heater on in my garage.. only got up to about 15F here today.. Not that cold in the garage, but still a bit cold. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats cold, was 40 here today and It was pretty cold working in the garage...so I can imagine what your dealing with.

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 01-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:

You do something special to make the suction cups stay on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the compliment

Nothing special with the suction cups.. The detector is a Valentine One. but it does not sit completely level and there is no way to make it lay down more due to the steep windshield angle.. Any Ideas on making it lay level?? I have other detectors that you can bend the bracket with the suction cups, but this one is fixed.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:17 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dewi2005:

Any Ideas on making it lay level?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like you said, the steep angle is hard to work with. I had one of the bendable brackets but the near 90 degree angle made the detector a bouncing lever. The thing would pop off on the first bump. That's why I asked about yours -- thought maybe you glued it to the windshield.

I ended up ordering a visor clip, which works pretty well for the wireless Passport Solo 2 Santa brought.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

I have had this one and two other brands mounted to the windshield. They all seemed to stay stuck on pretty good, but would drop off if I hit a huge bump, but sat fairly stable under normal conditions. The use of larger suction cups seem to help on my other detectors, but this one seems to stay put with the small ones.

Cordless detector would be nice, would not have to mess with the cord..
Old 01-23-2006, 08:02 PM

Mumbo is off the scale

I have this one.
http://www.k40.com/othe_unde_main.html
Old 01-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mumbo:
I have this one.
http://www.k40.com/othe_unde_main.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow.. now that is really a clean radar install
Old 01-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Nice, I've been meaning to do this mod. Not for radar detector but my GPS which I plan to mount just in front of the sunroof.

If I was going to run a radar detetor I would have mounted it INSIDE the overhead console with a precisely cut hole for the front of detector to stick out. Two times I have been pulled over by being paced with no radar and both times the detector got me a ticket.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

DeBest is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:

You do something special to make the suction cups stay on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the compliment

Nothing special with the suction cups.. The detector is a Valentine One. but it does not sit completely level and there is no way to make it lay down more due to the steep windshield angle.. Any Ideas on making it lay level?? I have other detectors that you can bend the bracket with the suction cups, but this one is fixed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you like the Valentine Detector? I have been considering one for awhile........
00 Harley Fatboy
65 Harley Panhead
Old 01-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeBest:

How do you like the Valentine Detector? I have been considering one for awhile........ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am VERY impressed with the Valentine.. You pay a little more than the other similar ones, but with Valentine you can have yours upgraded if a new feature comes out. I have paid almost as much for others that I did for the Valentine and the Valentine is so much more accurate and informative.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice job, Dewi. I'd have to drape that cord over the rearview mirror, though, as it hanging there in the line of sight would bug me as much as it did you when it was on the dash.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Hummer Professional

DH22G is an unknown quantity at this point

you should have used your V1 wire harness it comes with...
you could have tapped into the fuse box and ran that one phone cord up the pilar like i did.. very simple.
03 H2 White... too much to list
2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX -READY FOR THE SUN
Old 01-29-2006, 02:40 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DH22G:
you should have used your V1 wire harness it comes with...
you could have tapped into the fuse box and ran that one phone cord up the pilar like i did.. very simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah the V1 Harness is nice, except I did not want to use the hard wire harness from Valentine as I wanted it to be a universal port that any radar could plug into. I dont mind the cord in view, I just did not want it hanging across my dash and taking up a power port on the center stack.