H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-04-2005, 12:29 AM

Spenser is off the scale

I apologize for asking questions that have been asked, and answered, in previous posted topics but I'm moving toward the Supercharger for my 2005 SUV. The dealer states that regardless of who I have do the install, I would be foolish not to have the tranny "upgraded" or beefed up to support the additional power. I have followed the advice of the wise, and experienced, H2 experts here on the forum and stood my ground on all my other upgrades that I over paid for through the dealer and actually had money refunded, (thanks for the advice) Now I mention the prices quoted for supercharger install from reputable shops and when the dealer brings up the warranty issue, I tell them that a warranty can be purchased from magna 3/36 and the whole tone changed. Now the dealer prices the supercharger to me at a more competative price, (from $11,000 down to $7,100.00) but states that I will really need to do the tranny upgrade. I haven't read much on that procedure here, but thought I'd ask just the same. I don't want to spend the money if I don't need to, and it would appear that the gear issue wasn't a good idea so the supercharger would give me what I'm looking for in town, or on the highway. The tranny thing is an altogether different issue, so here I am. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin (casey2)
2005 Stealth Gray H2 SUV
2006 Ford Expedition Limited
Old 07-04-2005, 12:29 AM

Spenser is off the scale

I apologize for asking questions that have been asked, and answered, in previous posted topics but I'm moving toward the Supercharger for my 2005 SUV. The dealer states that regardless of who I have do the install, I would be foolish not to have the tranny "upgraded" or beefed up to support the additional power. I have followed the advice of the wise, and experienced, H2 experts here on the forum and stood my ground on all my other upgrades that I over paid for through the dealer and actually had money refunded, (thanks for the advice) Now I mention the prices quoted for supercharger install from reputable shops and when the dealer brings up the warranty issue, I tell them that a warranty can be purchased from magna 3/36 and the whole tone changed. Now the dealer prices the supercharger to me at a more competative price, (from $11,000 down to $7,100.00) but states that I will really need to do the tranny upgrade. I haven't read much on that procedure here, but thought I'd ask just the same. I don't want to spend the money if I don't need to, and it would appear that the gear issue wasn't a good idea so the supercharger would give me what I'm looking for in town, or on the highway. The tranny thing is an altogether different issue, so here I am. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin (casey2)
2005 Stealth Gray H2 SUV
2006 Ford Expedition Limited
Old 07-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Just My thought. I would not spend the money on tranny upgrade right now. Take all the torque management out of it so it does not slip much when shifting, which will make it last longer. Now someday You will just as I will need a new tranny. You can get a bullet proof, if there is such a thing, tranny for $2800 to $3300 depending on where You get it. As long as Your case is not damaged they will work with You. Right now they get an almost new tranny from You and You get a nice upgrade. Run it, when problems begin call LPE or go to flp2win.com and get the upgraded tranny. It does come with many improvements including a hardened sun cage with 5 gear planetary unless 2005 which You already have 5 gear I think. Chromed input shafts, etc.
It will cost so just firm Your shift on the tranny and go to synthetic tranny fluid I like Royal Purple. Run it till You need another. If You could talk Your dealer or take it to someone else as I'm going to do and put a Vette servo in it that would be a big help and make it last longer. Klaus has had His tranny and supercharger for years and it is still running as far as i know. Set on Your money and then get a quality upgrade from one of the 2 mentioned and I'm sure there are others. They are the only 2 right now I would call. Again all is required is a rebuildable core to exchange.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 07-04-2005, 01:16 AM

Spenser is off the scale

Thanks TAZ, I'll store the post until needed, (of course) and I'll keep watch here on the forum for later developments from other members. I appreciate the response.

Kevin (casey2)
2005 Stealth Grey H2 SUV
Old 07-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Hummer Authority

Your Welcome Casey
I just figure do not spend unless You need to. Tranny may last as long as You have Your rig.
I'm putting My money back because I figure I'm going to need it and I will be prepared to spend it.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 07-04-2005, 01:37 AM

Spenser is off the scale

Thanks TAZ, I'll put the money aside as well, problem is, there's always something else to spend it on. The longer the wish list, the shorter the cash supply.

Kevin (casey2)
2005 Stealth Grey H2 SUV
Old 07-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

Here is my thoughts on it. You can either just leave the factory tranny, which will last a while depending on how you drive, and have it rebuilt tough when it goes out. If money is no object, go ahead and do it now.
Here is a 3rd opinion. You can go to the dealer and tell them the year of your vehicle, and tell them to give you a Corvette 2-4 servo for that year. This can be easily changed with the trans in the car. Just either make sure you know what you're doing or take it somewhere, it's easy to put part of the servo in backwards, and that will wear trans out.
With the Corvette Servo, you will get a very nice firm 2nd gear shift, and that's when you'll be on the throttle a lot. Most of the time, you'll probably have backed out of the throttle by the time you hit 3rd.
Good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

So, if you have a new rig with 6000 miles on it and put in your Radix/ Magna charger, why do you have to put in a new or beefed up trans? Has everyone else that's SC'd their rigs done this? My dealer told me 7K, same Warranty (3yr, 36,000)and included a Volant kit, Radix intercooled SC, new program, and Electric fans. They didn't say anything about a Trans upgrade or one even being needed.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Hummer Authority

Tim I really do not understand why they did not at least bring it to Your attention as something to watch for. The tranny has a history of 2-4 problems anyway that if I remember is tied into reverse. Someone may remember better on the reverse.

My dealer is getting Me the 2-4 servo and putting it in. I'm just waiting on the call to come in and let them istall it. Hummertech is right I would not want to do it but, would not be afraid of My guys doing it. The dealer said if I let them do some things they will look after warranties. Plus they are doing things free to be a sponsor on My rig. I took their name off and told them what all the other sponsors are doing and I did not pay the big bucks to advertise for You. So if You want recognition do something to get on the sponsor board. They did not blink and jumped right in and started doing things at different times.

Hummertech is correct in His advice. I'm doing the very thing He suggested. The tranny can last a long time if tuned just like You tune the engine for it to handle what Your doing. The trick is to stop as much slipping as possible so bands are not burning up. That is what happens when You increase power and the tranny is not designed for it. You may never have a problem. But I'm doing the servo and using the tuning software from a sponsor to go in and remove as much slipping as i can.

Tim I'm not upgrading tranny till needed just tuning it so it will last a long time and who knows may never have problems
TAZ
Old 07-05-2005, 10:21 PM

Spenser is off the scale

Thanks, I appreciate it. Is there any truth to the fact that the dealer says that I will need to remove the headers if I go with the supercharger? Doesn't make sense to me. I also inquired as to adding a set of electric fans and the response was that they would be extremely loud and annoying and that I would have little to no benefit from them, however, I see where several of the members here have them, any comments? I have seen where a few are using GM fans from the F-250 line and with the added metal edging, they are suppose to run quieter. Just curious, Thanks, as always...

Spenser
2005 Stealth Grey H2 SUV
Old 07-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Hummer Authority

Spenser You dealer really worries Me. yes You want headers. More air in means You have to have a way to get more air out. I have a true dual header catback system not y pipe or x pipe what ever You wan to call it. I have electric fans and never hear them unless i have hood open or just turned key off and they run a little to cool down. The fan you are seeing is on EADSperformance.com if i remember corect. It is for a 2005 GM 2500 truck. it does not fit just to bolt up but it fits very nicely with some alteration of tranny lines. MY Hummer dealer installed mine in the what are You going to do to be a sponsor deal. The GM fan I got fits nuggly to radiator nor side shields. It fits in size perfectly it just will not have mounting holes that line up with H2. Drill new ones in top of shroud and use factory bolts with rubber washer beween shroud and frame and bolt head and shroud. do not over tighten.
Go to Nelsonperformance.com and he already has a wiring harness with relays and instructions as to how to hook harness up.
My AC has never worked as good before the fans. I would say the amount of air the fans move has maybe doubled and My ac will freze You out now. I hade been thinking about a rear ac system but, not anymore.
TAZ