H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-03-2003, 06:10 PM

plesset is off the scale

I bought the SMA chrome shifter and for the life of me I cannot get it to work. The piece slides on ok but when you put it into park the key does not come out of the ignition. I need to unscrew it a little and slide it up to override the key lock. Not matter which position the shifter is in I have the same problem. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 06-03-2003, 06:10 PM

plesset is off the scale

I bought the SMA chrome shifter and for the life of me I cannot get it to work. The piece slides on ok but when you put it into park the key does not come out of the ignition. I need to unscrew it a little and slide it up to override the key lock. Not matter which position the shifter is in I have the same problem. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 06-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I have one and you have to play with it a little to get it to work(trial and error). If you edge it up gradually then tighten the set screw you will hit the spot that it will work in. Once I found the correct spot I put it in the Park position and marked it with an fine tip indelible marker. I then used loctite so the set screw wouldn't loosen and cranked it down tightly. There were no instructions at all with the shifter. It is a really fine quality though.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Circuitguy

I had the same problem too. I also let the dealer play with it for a while. It shure did piss off the service tech. H2 Bill has the only answer I know of. I would hope SMA will fix the problem with new runs of this product. Just keep trying it should work. C

First American Properties Inc. 916-858-2383
White 03-H2-LUX
Old 06-03-2003, 10:34 PM

plesset is off the scale

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually found a solution though. I took the shifter apart and used the dremel to shave of about 3cm from the small lever inside the shifter that depresses the shifting stem. I then took the spring out and set it so the spring lines up with the inside knob outside of the holes it sits in. This creates more tension like the original shifter. I can now set the shifter as far as it will sit on the stem and I am able to put it into Park and release the iginition cutoff. I think the problem lies in the size of the lever. Hopefully SMA will fix this.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:19 AM

Ugh.

I have to say, SMA makes total $#!7.

I have their locking gas cap. The finish has totally corroded, and the lock mechanism barely moves, despite the fact that I put a bit of WD-40 in it when I first got it.

I will replace it with something from fueldoors.com If they ever answer their email, that is.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:41 AM

plesset is off the scale

Ya i am really suprised back the lack of quality with SMA parts. I also have the fuel door and have the same problem with the lock. Whats up with those guys? You would have thought that someone checks these pieces before they go out the door.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Circuitguy

SMA's in bed with GM. It's all about the money! Sell Sell Sell !!! C

First American Properties Inc. 916-858-2383
White 03-H2-LUX