H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

Every H3 I've seen on the road and at the dealer has some kind of accessory step, so I'm wondering if I'd be wasting my time posting my chrome steps on eBay when I upgrade to sliders and removable steps. (BTW, the dealer wouldn't give any credit on them.)
Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Every H3 I've seen on the road and at the dealer has some kind of accessory step, so I'm wondering if I'd be wasting my time posting my chrome steps on eBay when I upgrade to sliders and removable steps. (BTW, the dealer wouldn't give any credit on them.)
Old 11-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there would be a market for them. Depending on price I would consider buying them off of ebay rather than through the dealer.

Does anyone know how hard the rocker protection is to take off? I want to have it but don't like the removable steps. If it wasn't that hard I would just remove the step and put on the rocker protection whenever going out wheeling. I have also considered going with the Manik protection and steps since you don't have to remove the rocker protection to use the steps. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 11-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

The Manik ones look like junk compared to the OEM rocker protection. You can either pay the money now for better rails, or pay later for body work when the cheapies fail.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Hummer Guru

I thought they looked pretty cheap as well but wanted to see if anyone had experience with them. I will most likely go with the OEM rocker protection if they are not to hard to swap out.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
Just a question, why even get steps on an H3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can hop in and out of mine without any problem. But when you factor in a short wife and a kid, you end up with removable steps.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
Just a question, why even get steps on an H3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Missed your question before but I would have to say the same reason as Karl. I most likely won't even use them getting in and out, at least I never have used them before. I just know the short GF will bitch about it but hell, it's my truck so she will just have to keep quiet about it I guess Actually, I had asked before about if those that have them find they get their pant legs dirty. I think I will find that my leg will always be hitting it and it will probably start bothering me.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

[/quote]I think I will find that my leg will always be hitting it and it will probably start bothering me.[/quote]

That's my #1 complaint. When I jump out of the rig and don't use the step, I seem to nail my pant leg with muck (especially on a snowy day like today). On the plus side, it does make it easier to get access to the roof. And of course having a step or two appeases the wife, which has a value in-and-of-itself.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

I can hop in and out no problem....but it just is not ladylike to hike up into a truck.....especially if I am wearing a skirt!

I'll keep my steps and put on the rock rails when I need them.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:10 AM

tmiller is off the scale

I just took off my chrome tube steps to put on OEM rocker guards. My wife had a fit , she can hardly get in with out the steps( shes small)Im making up some brackets to reinstall the tubes just under the rock gaurds.I will make it so I only have to take out 4 bolts before going off road.I also just intstalled the OEM underbody protection, seems ok. Yes the factory rock guards are heavy duty,I wouldnt go with anything less.(aftermarket)
Old 11-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DarthKarl:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think I will find that my leg will always be hitting it and it will probably start bothering me.[/quote]

That's my #1 complaint. When I jump out of the rig and don't use the step, I seem to nail my pant leg with muck (especially on a snowy day like today). On the plus side, it does make it easier to get access to the roof. And of course having a step or two appeases the wife, which has a value in-and-of-itself.[/quote]

I figured this would be a problem. At 6'2" I don't think I will be using the step myself and think it would get annoying. The GF is under 5' so I know she will b!tch about it.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmiller:
I just took off my chrome tube steps to put on OEM rocker guards. My wife had a fit , she can hardly get in with out the steps( shes small)Im making up some brackets to reinstall the tubes just under the rock gaurds.I will make it so I only have to take out 4 bolts before going off road.I also just intstalled the OEM underbody protection, seems ok. Yes the factory rock guards are heavy duty,I wouldnt go with anything less.(aftermarket) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know how the brackets you make work out. I would definitely be interested in something like that.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

Just a question, why even get steps on an H3.
S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I said, it came with the chrome steps, as did every other H3 on the lot. I do use it though, and it makes entry a bit more graceful. I step up with my left foot and land squarely in the middle of seat instead of kind of sliding in over the seat's edge. I also think the step will save the seat over time. After 50K miles of sliding across that edge, both the cloth cover and foam beneath will probably break down a lot more quickly. I still wish GM would have spent the extra 76.00458 cents or whatever for a driver's grab handle too. How can they do so well on the platfrom design and engineering but be so bloody cheap with details that cost almost nothing per unit and yield big customer satisfaction?