H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 AM
Elcova Rookie

Cuddles is off the scale
Default snow / ice tires

any recommendations out there - seems to be lots of advice on mud and rock tires but nothing for the white stuff
Old 12-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: snow / ice tires

The stock BFG's are a great snow/ice tire..... probably one of the best choices out there.

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 12-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVR 155
The stock BFG's are a great snow/ice tire..... probably one of the best choices out there.
x2!

If you go with a Mud tire, get it siped.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:28 AM
Hummer Expert

Yetti is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to have the wife pull me out on an icy hard packed road. she just pulled easy and tried not to spin a tire. she used lo loc and dif loc and was able to pull my 3/4 ton dodge out that went over the bank of my neighbors driveway up to the mirror in snow. it was hung up so I left it running in park and she didn't even wait for me to get in and put it in reverse. BFG s work well on ice.
www.wegotmud.com
www.glfwda.org
Old 12-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree...the stock bfg's work well in the snow/ice.

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Hummer Professional

H2bill is on a distinguished road

Are they actually rated for mud and snow? Up here in these parts (Oregon) the state police look for a "snow flake" on the side wall molded in the tire that indicates it is a rated mud and snow tire. If you don't have the snow flake, you have to use traction control devices when required.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2bill
Are they actually rated for mud and snow? Up here in these parts (Oregon) the state police look for a "snow flake" on the side wall molded in the tire that indicates it is a rated mud and snow tire. If you don't have the snow flake, you have to use traction control devices when required.

Hmmm...you know I've never paid that much attention to the tire...I'll have to look today for you.

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 12-17-2007, 02:59 AM
Elcova Rookie

Cuddles is off the scale
Unhappy Re: snow / ice tires

Wow, I couldn't disagree more about the stock BFs having good traction in snow and ice; I'm on a fair number of mountain roads to ski hills, maybe its just the nature of a heavy truck? My last vehicle - a rear wheel drive sedan - had far far far superior traction on snow and ice once snow tires were on it compared to the hummer with the stock tires !??
Old 12-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Hummer Expert

Yetti is an unknown quantity at this point

well while plowing yesterday I stuck my dodge twice. was doing the neighbors driveway and the blade skipped up and I high centered the truck. walked back to the house and got the H2 and gave it a pull and then let my 14 year old son drive it home. about the time he got out of sight the Dodge dropped off the egde of the driveway and the ice that was under the snow won't give up enough to get traction with the Cooper Discoveries...they suck in snow! Had to call the wife to come back in the H2 to get me...again. when I buy new tires for the H2 I am putting the take offs on the dodge.
www.wegotmud.com
www.glfwda.org
Old 12-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

I am pretty Sure that the Stock BFG's are Approved for Snow and Ice conditions with the stamp on the side. My 37' BFG KM's suck for snow compaired to stock BFG TO's
Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddles
Wow, I couldn't disagree more about the stock BFs having good traction in snow and ice; I'm on a fair number of mountain roads to ski hills, maybe its just the nature of a heavy truck? My last vehicle - a rear wheel drive sedan - had far far far superior traction on snow and ice once snow tires were on it compared to the hummer with the stock tires !??

Well a true dedicated snow/ice tire will deliver far better ice traction than the BFG's would, the soft compound keeps the rubber from getting hard in the cold conditions therefore delivering far superior traction on ice. You also have to consider the fact that your in a 6400 lb. truck. We got about 5" here in the Chicagoland area and the H2 handled it like it was dry pavement and thats with the stock BFG's in place. I have a very good all season tire on my TL (Continental conti extreme contacts) and the car is very good in the snow but it doesnt hold a candle to the H2 in the snow.

I have a friend who owns a snow removal company, he equips all of his trucks with the BFG's

2013 Audi S4

2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Only 5"? We got hit with 10.4" in the South Loop. Anything past 6" any wheeled travel sux. IMHO
Old 12-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2bill
Yes, if you look at the sidewall of the BFG T/AKO you will see that M+S is embossed on the side. This means that the tire is mud sand snow rated. You may not like their performance, but for any given vehicle, compared to almost any other tire, they outperform on ice and most tires in snow. This is borne out by most peoples opinion and almost any literature you can find on the topic. A mud tire may outperform the stockers on deep soft snow, but it will definitely need to be siped for ice. As a ski patrolman in Southern California, I have had countless opportunities to use these tires on ice including verglas (black ice). Short of studding your tires, you will be hard pressed to find a better performer.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower
Yes, if you look at the sidewall of the BFG T/AKO you will see that M+S is embossed on the side. This means that the tire is mud sand snow rated. You may not like their performance, but for any given vehicle, compared to almost any other tire, they outperform on ice and most tires in snow. This is borne out by most peoples opinion and almost any literature you can find on the topic. A mud tire may outperform the stockers on deep soft snow, but it will definitely need to be siped for ice. As a ski patrolman in Southern California, I have had countless opportunities to use these tires on ice including verglas (black ice). Short of studding your tires, you will be hard pressed to find a better performer.

Exactly why I have chosen the Dick Cepeks Mud & Snow tires, wider, deeper lugs with tier pattern and factory siped for icey conditions. Check out my post here: Dick Cepeks

Cheers!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

Looks good! What kind of mileage (tread life) can you expect from those? With the Haminator and Moto Hot-Squirt you are set for winter!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point

Mileage was quoted at being around 50,000 and as for Whaminator and Hotwash system, they can be used year round to keep your windshield clear of debris such as bugs, tree sap, dirt and mud. I'll let you in on a secret, did you know that when you fill (from near empty) your windshield wiper fluid you should add about 1/3 of a bottle of isopropal alcohol (rubbing alcohol - super cheap, about $1.50/bottle or less) to the resevoir, it helps when you have frost on the windshield and your in a hurry to go, it also gets rid of the bugs in the summer and helps remove dirt and sap. I've been using it in all of my cars for years and have had zero problems.

Cheers!

Last edited by MDimitri : 12-18-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Elcova Rookie

Cuddles is off the scale
Exclamation Re: snow / ice tires

I think I'll try out the cepeks - thanks for the feedback - Its embarrasing to be one of the few that doesn't make it into work the couple of times it snows on my street during the winter, people roll their eyes or laugh at how useless this thing is in the snow - and I wish I was exagerating, but I make that call pretty quickly now since I came very close to sliding it into someones living room a couple of years ago.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I - Man
Only 5"? We got hit with 10.4" in the South Loop. Anything past 6" any wheeled travel sux. IMHO

Lake effect is a B!TCH my friend.... We got 5" of fresh snow on Saturday and a few flurries a day or two before that accumulated to maybe an inch. I was working in Berwyn/Cicero yesterday and it seemed like the further east I got the more snow I noticed piled up.

2013 Audi S4

2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Elcova Rookie

Cuddles is off the scale

our problem here on the west coast isn't so much deep snow - its snotty slush and / or very wet snow when the temp is from 0 (Celcius) to -8. I used to be from Manitoba where the snow was far deeper and dryer and now I understand the problem differently - believe me, its not just that the people on the coast aren't use to driving in the snow - it is different. (that said I don't miss the deep stuff - except when I'm buying a lift ticket!)

Anyhow - safe travel to everyone out there on the slick stuff and thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVR 155
Lake effect is a B!TCH my friend.... We got 5" of fresh snow on Saturday and a few flurries a day or two before that accumulated to maybe an inch. I was working in Berwyn/Cicero yesterday and it seemed like the further east I got the more snow I noticed piled up.

I was out in Naperville Saturday night on the way home 55 totally sucked after the Harlem exit. IDOT must have had the night off. Finally had to put it in 4-hi TCS2 by the time I reached Damen snow must have been at 4 or 5" on the pavement.

My office is on 47th and Pulaski not too far from Berwyn/Cicero.