H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i live in washington

we had some freak snowstorm hit us and it completely paralyzed the state, mostly because we dont know how to drive in snow, but let me just tell you how AWESOME the H3 is in the snow!

I had to go to the airport to drop off some family from thanksgiving, and the snow hadnt hit the airport yet, but we left and went to mcdonalds to grab some grubzilla, and the snow started. so for 25 minutes while we sat inside eating our bigmacs, the snow fell so fast and it covered the roads and turned them into ice... it was about 20 degrees needless to say at 6pm we hit the freeway and made it home (30 miles away) in 3 and a half hours. people were sliding everywhere, couldnt stop, couldnt go....

but the H3 had ZERO problems, i could stop, go, do donuts, everyone was jealous! i think the bigger contact patch and weight helped it get around. anyways im sad cuz the snow is melting and who knows when the next time we will see that will be. next time ill take pictures
Old 11-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i live in washington

You think there's Hummer hate then........

Now they really hate you when you drive by and they're stuck.

I've been doing my Good Samaritian routine all week by pushing, pulling and strapping as many as possible in my hood. Getting an unusual amount of waves and thumbs up here from the locals. Best kind of exposure when you're helping out during traffic. They see that not all of us are a-holes.

My Video Collectionez

Old 11-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Hummer Authority

dang that what i should have been doing instead of 4 wheel burnouts next to the people that are stuck! hahahahahaaha! suckers!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Roktoy is off the scale

I live in washington too, and it was a fun few days. Took it up to the hills and it did great plowing through the snow. Was testing the stabilatrack feature, it actually works. With it on, it stayed straight. But it was much more fun with it off, powering up hills sideways, and doing donuts.
Coming up the hill where i live, there were dozens of cars parked on the side of the hill, the hummer just went past all of them. Of course i drove my wifes lexus rx330 around too, and it did great on the snow too. But i wouldnt take that thing 4wheeling.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

ictH3 is on a distinguished road

I live in Kansas and yesterday we had an ice store and the 1 and only thing I don't like about my H3 is that it doesn't have heated mirrors... there was at least 1/4 inch of ice on the mirrors and I could not get it off.

But today we had 4-6 inches of snow and you all are right! The H3 is GREAT in the snow! Of course I had to find the biggest drifts to drive through too!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

I am in WA also, the H3 did great in the snow just like stated - however... The next morning it was again nasty and I drove about 20 feet and made my first turn (to fast). Holy crap, I wasn't ready for that recovery the H3 had to do. The H3 is great in the snow but tires that are 15-20 degrees need to be warmned up first.
Of course this applies to all vehicles the point is just don't get over confident.

On a seperate issue but winter related - the fog light bulb busted. Considering it was about 15 where I live I guess it was the cold.

????
Old 12-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here. Lots of ice and snow the past couple of days and the H3 took it all in stride. I put it in 4hi-lock for some of it, but probably didn't need to.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisAJC
You think there's Hummer hate then........

Now they really hate you when you drive by and they're stuck.

I've been doing my Good Samaritian routine all week by pushing, pulling and strapping as many as possible in my hood. Getting an unusual amount of waves and thumbs up here from the locals. Best kind of exposure when you're helping out during traffic. They see that not all of us are a-holes.

I know someone who used to do that in Truckee, CA with his H-1, he eventually got cornered by a couple of tow truck drivers at a restraunt in town.

They asked him "nicely" to stop being a "nice" guy....it was taking away their income.....
Old 12-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

aetherH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeH3
i think the bigger contact patch and weight helped it get around.

Actually its quite the opposite... for winter driving, narrower tires are the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictH3
I live in Kansas and yesterday we had an ice store and the 1 and only thing I don't like about my H3 is that it doesn't have heated mirrors...

Old 12-01-2006, 04:58 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all of us in washington had fun in the snow.... We got about 1 inch, then it melted the next day.....

As far as skinny tires on a vehicle for ice/snow....what about those rigs in iceland with the huge wide tires?!?!?

'03 H2
Old 12-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Roktoy is off the scale

skinny tires are better in compact snow and ice, while wide tires are better for deep snow. When i go wheeling in deep snow, i let out the tires to about 6psi, so there is a wide footprint so the car can float on the snow instead of sink.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roktoy
skinny tires are better in compact snow and ice, while wide tires are better for deep snow. When i go wheeling in deep snow, i let out the tires to about 6psi, so there is a wide footprint so the car can float on the snow instead of sink.

I thought the opposite was true. Seems like wide tires would be better on compact snow and ice to spread out your driving and turning force over a larger contact patch ... and skinny tires would be better in powder and slush to cut through to the road surface below.

Of course once the snow approaches axle height, I agree you need wide tires and low pressure for flotation.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roktoy

You only use 6psi in the tire
Seems way to low to drive any distance ,you might blow the bead around a turn
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3 Hummer
I am in WA also, the H3 did great in the snow just like stated - however... The next morning it was again nasty and I drove about 20 feet and made my first turn (to fast). Holy crap, I wasn't ready for that recovery the H3 had to do. The H3 is great in the snow but tires that are 15-20 degrees need to be warmned up first.
Of course this applies to all vehicles the point is just don't get over confident.

you have to remember you arent a good driver jk!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

Zoomie is on a distinguished road

Been working, so I haven't had time to hang out here. I live in Washington, too. The morning it snowed, two of my co-workers took off before I left work. I had to pick them both up because they couldn't get up the hill outside work. One of them was driving a Mustang Mach 1 in that mess! This is my second winter with it, and I am amazed how good it is in snow!
GONE:
2001 Vette convert Black on Black on BlackWHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?
2002 Trailblazer (Wife's)
Old 12-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Hummer Guru

frenzy1 is on a distinguished road

That's great man ! I haven't had the chance of testin' my hummer in snow !! We almost never get snow in Belgium, Europe

frenzy

MY TRUCK : NO !
MY DOG : MAYBE
MY WIFE : YES