H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-15-2006, 06:01 AM
Elcova Rookie

TEhler is on a distinguished road
Default Folding mirrors

Took the H2 in to get stuff fixed before it goes out of warranty one of the things was one mirror not folding in for the 3rd time. When I picked it up it had 2 new 06 mirrors when I asked WTF! they said that they have had so many problems with them that they are just putting the redesigned 06 mirrors

Tim
Old 12-15-2006, 06:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

H Duece is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Folding mirrors

And I thought I was the only one with this problem. Figured it was due to all the mud I've gone through. Maybe I'll look into getting them changed out. Though, I no longer have a warranty...so I'd have to pay for it.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Elcova Newbie

Swede Lobster H2 is off the scale

I have an -03 H2. The left mirror was replaced under warranty two years ago by the previous owner. Some time ago I read a thread here about that it is no good to fold the mirrors manually as it quickly wears out the mechanics.
Then I tried to fold with the electronics and the right mirror didn't move.
Back to this forum and did a search and found an excellent description with pictures from someone that had repaired his mirror.
I experienced exactly the same things as he wrote about. The folding motor and electronics were rusted. On mine the gear mechanism was also very hard to rotate, but I got it back in shape by spraying it with Teflon spray and finally adding some Lithium grease. For the electronics I cleaned off the rust and put electric contact spray on the connector surfaces. Then covering it with vaseline (isolates from water) and drilled drain holes in the bottom. If there had been drain holes from the beginning this problem never would have happened.
I also found out that it actually is possible to accidentally reassemble the small motor in a 90 degree angle. I did this mistake and couldn't assemble the gearbox to the mirror. It took a while to figure out what had happened.. thought I had a brain reset. The other thing maybe worth knowing is that the electronics on top of the motor is an overload circuit that shuts off the current when it is too high for more than about a second.
The folding function can be tested with 12V connected to the yellow and blue wire (next to a white wire) in the blue connector. When the mirror reaches a mechanical endstop the overload circuit shuts off the power. Then the polarity can be reversed and the mirror will run in the other direction until it reaches the endstop.
While having it apart I looked at the mechanics that makes it possible to fold it manually and can say that I now understand why manual folding should be avoided.

Nils
Old 12-22-2006, 07:09 PM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Do the motors work? Sometimes you have to tell the mirrors to fold in three or four times for the mirrors to realign. It'll work after that. We've had to do that to a few of them. My silverado is the same way. If that doesn't work....then....good luck.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Dragon do we want to change the old mirrors to the new style mirror on our Show Queen?

I would like some suggestion from forum as well. If You search under TAZ or Dragon in pic section you should find several pics of the custom work of Dragon/MSA. It may give You something to look at and compare to see if new style mirror would look better on the paint scheme Dragon did etc.
Thanks all just would like ideas You have. Our dealer will most likely just let us have them and bring the old style back after change. The only thing I hesitate for is I bought a set of new mirrors with the led turn arrow in them and do not know if they would work in new style mirror. All suggestions would be very much welcomed.

TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon
Do the motors work? Sometimes you have to tell the mirrors to fold in three or four times for the mirrors to realign. It'll work after that. We've had to do that to a few of them. My silverado is the same way. If that doesn't work....then....good luck.
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 12-24-2006, 03:42 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My mirrors went bad a bunch of times. Finally the Dealer replaced them (under warranty) with the new style. They are built better and much tougher. It took a little while but now I actually like the look better than the old style.