H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Hummer Expert

Badace is on a distinguished road
Default Does cold air ind help any

It's air filter time. Was looking for air induction products. Finding out by looking at gas mileage results not increasing. How bout added performance? Yes or not worth it. Also, does the brand matter? Lessor known brands are 100+ and k&n and others are 300+. Should I add a tornado or throttle body part for better air flow also? If I can keep or even slightly increase gas mileage and give the thing more life, I'd be happy. Even if no gas mileage increase but better performance that'd be great too. The thing has pep but no power. Climbing hills, pulling trailers,... Ilene thing seriously is embarrassing how weak it is. My wifes escalade out pulls the h2 by far. 9000lbs my butt crack.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does cold air ind help any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badace
...The thing has pep but no power. Climbing hills, pulling trailers,... Ilene thing seriously is embarrassing how weak it is. My wifes escalade out pulls the h2 by far. 9000lbs my butt crack.
...but they sure do look BADA55!

I put a K&N and a Tornado in mine...it's been so long ago that I totally forgot about the Tornado until you mentioned it. I did them at the same time...little more pep (could just be perceived)...little better sound...and would prolly give me another .3-.5 on MPG if I'd stay out of the pedal. Same goes for my Flowmaster exhaust. I'd prolly have a whole +1 increase on MPG considering them both, but the better sound keeps me on the pedal.

I'm convinced that on the seven day God didn't rest...he spent all day in his garage perfecting that American V8 sound.

Last edited by guruerror : 03-11-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

I have 3 different ones I've tried, never got around to selling the other 2. The one thats in there now is just the last one I tried. Actually have a blower which would eliminate all that **** anyway, but thats still sitting in my garage.

Bottom line on everyone was, even w/ the hypertek programmer I absolutly hate how the engine runs untill its up to operating tempature. For the first 2-5 minutes depending on outside temp, all torque and responsiveness is lost. I've learnt to deal w/ it, throttling a second or two sooner than you normally would. They all definately made the motor louder. At operating tempature, I wouldn't say there's a noticable gain. Our gas mileage is so low anyway, your not going to really see much of an effeciency gain.

From the looks stand point...poping the hood and having a nice carbon fiber intake or one of the other polished brands looks a hell of alot better than the big seagull thats mounted to our throttle body.

I'd say its 80% appearance mod / 20% functionality. If your going through alot of deep water, that factory box is designed to keep water out alot better than these cold air intakes do.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

I am totally with MUD on this one. Your money could be better spent somewhere else. You will get a better sound/show out of the intake but thats really about it.

In all honesty the factory filter in the H2 flows VERY well and has a VERY long life. And if you into offroad then I dont know a better unit out there than the factor box. IMO if I had to get rid of the factory intake I would look to the Volant or AirDoc Intake.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Hummer Expert

I was told by the muffler guy how impressed he was with the air intake. Straight and not restrictive. He suggested exhaust and a larger throttle body.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
...but they sure do look BADA55!

No doubt. I like the way a 4 door jeep looks lifted but my h2 whipes it's butt with 4 door jeeps.