H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

hummer74 is on a distinguished road
Smile couple tire questions

i know i know, another tire question......i would search but there is soooo much that pops up when u put "tire" in the search engine.

1. is or has anyone run 37x13.5x17 tires on their stock rims without a lift?

2. lots of rubbage?

3. is $256 a tire a good price for that size tire in toyo mt?

4. will that tire fit my stock rear tire carrier?

5. anyone ever buy from www.tiredeals4less.com?

im having a hard time deciding on tires for my stock rims. it's between the cooper stt in 37x12.5, bf goodrich mt 37x12.5 and the toyo mt 37x13.5.....which one would you guys go with? im leaning towards the toyos because they are wider, im just not sure if the 13.5's will work. any pics or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: couple tire questions

oh and heres the best prices ive found for each.

toyos 256 per tire not mounted or balanced plus shipping.
coopers 300 tire mounted, balanced, out the door
bf goodrich 315 a tire mounted, balanced, out the door.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=hummer74]oh and heres the best prices ive found for each.

coopers 300 tire mounted, balanced, out the door

37x12.5x17 $275.00 ea. OTD including rotation.

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 01-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

If you plan to off road, have air susp., go with a 12.50. I put 13.50's on my non air susp.and had stuffing and rubbing in teh front pretty bad, whereas the 12.50's just get buy with much less rubbing. The 12.50's will look great! IF you are in a state where you get snow, you may want to look into a siped tire as well. MT's on snow/ Ice on the road are just damn freaky. Also, you may want to consider replacing the factory stabilzer with an upgrade (RAncho or FAbtech). It makes a difference once ou go to the larger tire also.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

JDLarue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgco
If you plan to off road, have air susp., go with a 12.50. I put 13.50's on my non air susp.and had stuffing and rubbing in teh front pretty bad, whereas the 12.50's just get buy with much less rubbing. The 12.50's will look great! IF you are in a state where you get snow, you may want to look into a siped tire as well. MT's on snow/ Ice on the road are just damn freaky. Also, you may want to consider replacing the factory stabilzer with an upgrade (RAncho or FAbtech). It makes a difference once ou go to the larger tire also.

Timgco,
When you say the MT's are freaky in the snow are u referring to the Toyo MT's (which are heavily siped) or the Goodyear MTR's???

JDLarue
2003 H2 Lux series, Pewter (I know...non-color) Airaid intake system, Granitelli MAF, Hypertech III programmer, sun roof, brush guard, a little billet bling, air suspension, 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's on stock chrome rims, 06 mirrors, like to get a 6" Fabtech lift but couldn't get it in the garage, other than that...pretty much stock.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLarue
Timgco,
When you say the MT's are freaky in the snow are u referring to the Toyo MT's (which are heavily siped) or the Goodyear MTR's???

JDLarue

I talked with a couple of people about the Toyo's in snow. They weren't that great from what I heard. I personally have not run them in snow/ice, so this is second hand.

I have ran the BFG MT's in the snow, 35's and 37's. THey are the worst tire for those conditions.

I am currently running the ProComp Extreme AT 37 13.50 17, and they are great in the snow conditions. I also had the chance last Summer to run them in loose river rock, sand, slick rock (Moab), and some nasty mud. They did great for me. I have them on our H2 and H3 now.

FWIW- I almost went with the Toyo's. My concern was snow driving. After two reviews from members on this forum, I decided to stay with an agressive AT tire instead. The Toyo's are great tires on everything else from what I have heard though.

When you say the Toyos are siped, take a look at a true AT tire and comopare them, there are many more sipes in each tread block in a true AT tire. I'm not sure the one sipe per tread block is enough for great handling on the snow.
http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...egory=off-road

http://www.procomptires.com/xtremeallterrain.html

If you plan to keep the stock AT's for winter and want MT's for SUmmer, I think that would be the way to go. ...just my 2 cents.

Maybe other that are driving thier Toyos through snow and icy conditions can chime in here.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you plan to keep the stock AT's for winter and want MT's for SUmmer, I think that would be the way to go. ...just my 2 cents.

I tried this approach and it only lasted about 3 weeks. I picked up a set of stock rims and mounted the stock tires thinking I would run those all winter. After having 37's it looked way too whimpy with the stock BFG AT 35s, so I switched back.

FWIW I have the GY MTRs and love them in the snow. We had 30 inches here at the house during the big storm and they were unstoppable. I have found them very stable and predictable on the packed snow with no noticable difference compared to the stock tires. I have not had them on the ice much to comment on that and I did pick up some tire chains in case I need to travel on ice.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CslRkH2
I tried this approach and it only lasted about 3 weeks. I picked up a set of stock rims and mounted the stock tires thinking I would run those all winter. After having 37's it looked way too whimpy with the stock BFG AT 35s, so I switched back.

FWIW I have the GY MTRs and love them in the snow. We had 30 inches here at the house during the big storm and they were unstoppable. I have found them very stable and predictable on the packed snow with no noticable difference compared to the stock tires. I have not had them on the ice much to comment on that and I did pick up some tire chains in case I need to travel on ice.

Hey! WHere did you find tire chains. On another note, do they fit with 37's ans not smack your fenders?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hey! WHere did you find tire chains. On another note, do they fit with 37's ans not smack your fenders?

I bought them at tirechains.com. I bought 4 but they look too beefy to run on the rear due to the air suspension leveling arms. Got the hd twisted link flavor. Have to actually put then on to see for sure. They do have tightening cams all around and I purchased the hd tensioners too but we'll see. My neighbor runs them just on the front with his pickup and it seems to work damn well.

I may have two extra if they don't clear enough in the rear, I'll let you know. When it gets above 30 I'm going to test them out.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

MattRoberts123 is on a distinguished road

I have Kumho MTs 37x14x24.... Stock suspension... These tires are amazing on the road and highway... also have had 2 large snow/ice storms here lately... and I am unstoppable... I would highly recommend these tires to anyone wanting to run a MT! My friend has the Nitto Terra Grapplers, and couldn't even get out of their driveway... meantime, I am out playing around everywhere in town just trying to see if I can even get the tires to spin or get stuck!

Carless... riding the bus... Trying to decide on which 08 H2 to get
Old 01-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

Well, living in the San Francisco bay area I don't have to worry about snow.
:-) Of course if I want to drive up to Tahoe...then I guess I'll find out about the Toyo's.

Thanks for the input

JD
2003 H2 Lux series, Pewter (I know...non-color) Airaid intake system, Granitelli MAF, Hypertech III programmer, sun roof, brush guard, a little billet bling, air suspension, 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's on stock chrome rims, 06 mirrors, like to get a 6" Fabtech lift but couldn't get it in the garage, other than that...pretty much stock.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer74
i know i know, another tire question......i would search but there is soooo much that pops up when u put "tire" in the search engine.
the 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's will fit with no lift and stock rims. I'm running them on my 03 H2. They do rub a little on the sway bars and the frame in the front, but only when you crank the wheel all the way to the lock. $256 is a good price. And they WILL NOT fit on the rear tire carrier. I haven't solved that problem yet so still using the original BFG A/T. And they're very quiet compared to the BFG muds. They're just as quiet as the BFG A/T's. Hope this helps. I just went thru the same thing trying to research and find out the best tire and would it fit, etc. I almost got the Goodyear mtr's except I couldn't get them cause of the strike at Goodyear. Glad I went with the Toyo's cause that extra inch of width looks awsome.
1. is or has anyone run 37x13.5x17 tires on their stock rims without a lift?

2. lots of rubbage?

3. is $256 a tire a good price for that size tire in toyo mt?

4. will that tire fit my stock rear tire carrier?

5. anyone ever buy from www.tiredeals4less.com?

im having a hard time deciding on tires for my stock rims. it's between the cooper stt in 37x12.5, bf goodrich mt 37x12.5 and the toyo mt 37x13.5.....which one would you guys go with? im leaning towards the toyos because they are wider, im just not sure if the 13.5's will work. any pics or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks everyone.
mmm

Old 01-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
mmm
wow thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

any answers to questions 3, 4 and 5? i have air suspension too.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 BULLY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, living in the San Francisco bay area I don't have to worry about snow.
:-) Of course if I want to drive up to Tahoe...then I guess I'll find out about the Toyo's.

Thanks for the input

JD

You need to come wheeling with us. We are up in Sacto.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

Hum 74, check #12 above. I answered all those questions for you.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 BULLY
You need to come wheeling with us. We are up in Sacto.

H2, where do u go wheeling in Sacto?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

jdlarue, sorry i didnt see the whole post...oops. also, i sent you a pm.....you got any pics of your tires installed?? could u post em up? i really want to see them. also, do you have the air suspension? thanks.