H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 03-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Hummer Professional

johndjmix1 is off the scale

If you do keep the spare tire on the outside and still need to tow it looks like you usually need to drop the hitch way down and run an extension bar with 2 locking pins...etc.

But I hate using extensions....I have found a drawbar that should clear the tire, its going to be VERY close though. I measured 15" from reciever pin hole to end of tire.....this one is 16".

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PR...233&Category_Code=BM

Im going to try it, ill let you guys know if it clears. It will proboly work in the drop way, but the rise way it might just touch the tire....We will see. If it dont work my tire is going to go inside.

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Magnusun Radix Supercharger!!!
Switch to allow full Nav Controls while moving
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 03-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Hummer Professional

If you do keep the spare tire on the outside and still need to tow it looks like you usually need to drop the hitch way down and run an extension bar with 2 locking pins...etc.

But I hate using extensions....I have found a drawbar that should clear the tire, its going to be VERY close though. I measured 15" from reciever pin hole to end of tire.....this one is 16".

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PR...233&Category_Code=BM

Im going to try it, ill let you guys know if it clears. It will proboly work in the drop way, but the rise way it might just touch the tire....We will see. If it dont work my tire is going to go inside.

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 03-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You need a larger drop than 4" though. I bought an Alumistinger. It's IIRC 14" long 1400lbs tongue weight 14Klbs trailer weight and 6" or 8" in drop, which is about what you need.

I also have a 37" spare on the back. I run a bunch of different trailers and this hitch works with all of them. On a 2 of them I have to slightly jack-knife so that the tire carrier will clear the trailer jack.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Hummer Professional

Actually my snowmobile trailer is VERY high up (the highest hitch height of any trailer I have seen)....even with a straight bar out of my F350 it still needs to be higher!

Here is a picture: http://www.marissa.org/miscpics/2005.../dscf0620.html

But I do like the alumistinger....that 14" measurement you gave....is that pin hole to ball hole on center? Where does the ball wind up?....is it past the spare or under it?

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 03-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Banned

It was the length measure that was given by someone else who corrected me when I said I thought it was a 12" shank.

I have a 37"x12.5 MT/R on the back and the back of the ball ends up about even with the edge of the tread. The back of the ball being the fartherest from the truck. In other words all of the ball is under the tire but just barely.

Is your tongue welded to the frame of the trailer. Another good solution is to get a bulldog type hitch. It's good for another 3 or 4 inches.

I'll measure the pull bar later and let you know exactly what it is.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Banned

Also, I need to make sure to get a bar rated enough. From time to time I'll put 8K to 10K lbs behind the H2.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Banned

tractors
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Banned

I cut into the dash to mount the brake controller
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

more tractors
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn. I think I once towed a little old military trailer that wasn't really big enough for the couch that was on it. I couldn't even see it in my mirrors it was so small.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:51 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

HOLY HACK JOB PARAGON

Nice spot for the brake controller. Are you left handed??
Old 03-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Paragon, others who have towed,
I have only towed my small bass boat (16ft) behind the h2 and I'm planning on towing a 75 K5 blazer on an 18ft (dual 6000lb axles) trailer. I estimate the truck to weigh around 5200Lbs and have no idea what the trailer weighs. I have the air suspension and plan to have a trailer brake controller installed. I will be going from Atlanta to Tellico. I have towed vehicles before with smaller rigs but never with breaks, and just want to get other opinions.

How do trailer breaks work (no break lines??)?

Will I be ok with this set-up?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Hummer Professional

Nice Paragon. Reminds me of the way I mount stuff =). I always like to cut stuff into the dash, makes it look nice and clean. You tow things as big as me -). Cool.

Ever go down to Daytona for bike week? See a 45' Prevost (Bus Motorhome) towing a 30' double height stacker trailer. Now thats wild. Unfortunatly the prevost will set you back about a million and a half. =(

I have a 35' motorhome and usually tow a 24' enclosed behind that....but still you know, you can never fit enough stuff =). A stacker trailer is next on my list.

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 03-02-2006, 01:43 AM

Kevin B is off the scale

Alan, I have towed a compact tractor with mine also a couple of cars. My trailer has 2 #3500 axles. The most weight I have towed with the H2 is around 4K and to be honst, I think it's under powered.

As for the brakes, I use the next controller down from Paragons, his looks to be the Tekonsha (sp) Prodigy. My trailer only has brakes on one of the axles and it does fine. They use an inertia sensing device. Installation is simple, it's a DYI thing.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johndjmix1:
Ever go down to Daytona for bike week? See a 45' Prevost (Bus Motorhome) towing a 30' double height stacker trailer. Now thats wild. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Goals, gotta have goals and that's one of mine. We never did bike week, it was always starting the boat season (here) and then you had Basketball.

Prevost with the H2 behind it is the next goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johndjmix1:
I have a 35' motorhome and usually tow a 24' enclosed behind that....but still you know, you can never fit enough stuff =). A stacker trailer is next on my list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, I can see wanting a full Featherlite setup. Coach with matching trailer, of course all of my stuff stays white and black.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan06SUT:
Hey Paragon, others who have towed,
I have only towed my small bass boat (16ft) behind the h2 and I'm planning on towing a 75 K5 blazer on an 18ft (dual 6000lb axles) trailer. I estimate the truck to weigh around 5200Lbs and have no idea what the trailer weighs. I have the air suspension and plan to have a trailer brake controller installed. I will be going from Atlanta to Tellico. I have towed vehicles before with smaller rigs but never with breaks, and just want to get other opinions.

How do trailer breaks work (no break lines??)?

Will I be ok with this set-up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's going to be a hog going up through the mountains. Use the tow/haul button, but before you leave and after you get your brake controller hooked up, load up the trailer and run around and test the brakes. You'll have an adjustment on the controller that controls how much voltage is applied which correspondingly applies braking to the trailer. Too much and the trailer will slide the tires, too little and you are defeating the purpose of having the controller.

On the controllers like Kevin and I have, you basically can't tell the trailer brakes are working like you can with other more simple designed controllers. It uses a combination of inertia sensing along with your voltage setting to apply the brakes in proportion to the braking the tow vehicle is doing.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:06 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin B:
HOLY HACK JOB PARAGON

Nice spot for the brake controller. Are you left handed?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope, Only place left in my truck to put it. I can't deal with it at the bottom of the dash.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:26 AM

Kevin B is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Nope, Only place left in my truck to put it. I can't deal with it at the bottom of the dash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just have bigger nads than me to mount that in the dash. As I recall, that controller is pretty deep.

The reason I asked about you being left handed is that would be a good placement for a lefty .
Old 03-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Nope, Only place left in my truck to put it. I can't deal with it at the bottom of the dash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just have bigger nads than me to mount that in the dash. As I recall, that controller is pretty deep.

The reason I asked about you being left handed is that would be a good placement for a lefty . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nah, I just have a good dremel with a long battery life