H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

KorkedBatz is off the scale

I seem to have a rattle near the back seat on the passenger side. I thought it might be under the seat, but I find the damn thing. Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

I seem to have a rattle near the back seat on the passenger side. I thought it might be under the seat, but I find the damn thing. Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

what in the heck is a nattle?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

a damn type-o...sorry...rattle. Was in a hurry posting...
Old 08-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
what in the heck is a nattle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>A nagging rattle?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KorkedBatz:
I seem to have a rattle near the back seat on the passenger side. I thought it might be under the seat, but I find the damn thing. Any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Need more info. What kind or sound. Is it a metal sound or plastic sound. Does it sound like a rattle against something solid or something tinny and loose. Are you sure it's high or low (meaning under the seat or somewhere in the headliner) or is it high or low (meaning is it a low frequency rattle or a high frequency rattle)
Old 08-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

It sounds like plastic against metal. I am pretty sure that it is coming from the seat area...either in the seat or under. It seems to start rattling when to are going 30+ mph and is pretty consistant. Does that help at all...
Old 08-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

I would crawl under the mid of the truck and check to see if the heat shield is vibrating against something.

Since it's consistant and speed related, a good bet would be that it is wind or RPM related. If is RPM related it's doubtful the vibration would make it's way to the seating area in the back without you being able to feel it up front also. But if it is RPM related it could be something under the truck resonating.

Maybe crawl under and (make sure the truck is cold) and lightly bang on the exhaust and see if you hear the rattle. Take your finger and "flick" the edge of the heat shield above the muffler and see if it rattles. Check your trim on the outside on the PS of the truck to make sure wind is not the culprit.

Somebody else might have some other thoughts.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Hummer Guru

I agree with Paragon. It is probably a heat shield. I remember this happend to me one time in my BMW, and some how a damn rock got on top of the shield and made a buzz at like 3400 RPM...I found it after about a week.

Also on a Jetta (at about 200 Miles on the car) I had a rock or something get into the vent on the front disc brake...so at slow speeds it sounded like a small bell sound...I took the rotor off and could not get it out for the life of me. So I bought a new disc.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Korked, as someone who went through a very painstaking approach to finding a rattle "near my rear seat," including three trips to the dealer to no avail, I have a suggestion. Where the rear door panel mates with the metal door frame at the rear edge of that door, place a temporary cushion (such as a small towel) in between those two parts and go for a ride. I FINALLY found that rattle, and fixed it by gluing in a small, thin strip of rubber.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

And on that note, I'll take this opportunity to say that I am sick and tired of all the rattles in my truck. Headliner, door handles, door panels...you name it. I'm having to play the music so loud to drown out the rattles that I'm going deaf! I find it immensely embarrassing when I give a ride to someone who is all geeked up about riding in a Hummer and the damn thing rattles like a POS Yugo.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Hummer Guru

TXSUT:

I remember you saying you had a rattle back in the day...

I have not had any inner cab noise...well I had one - but it was the seat belt hitting the C pillar in the back with the seats folded down! Other than that - nothing!
Old 08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the tips... Another addition to the rattle, when I take people with me and they ride in the back on that side....no rattle. Whats up with that?? I really haven't had any other problems with rattles. The only other thing that bugs me is the door panel creak sometimes when you legs leans against them. That sucks...but plastic is plastic...so what do you do.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Hummer Guru

It must be something in the seat area then...have you checked all the pivot and rest points?
Old 08-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
It must be something in the seat area then...have you checked all the pivot and rest points? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>x 2

Much of the plastic on plastic joints have some type of tape placed to reduce the rubbing noise. I don't like noises so I search them out and fix them. Much of the plastic stuff can be fixed by wedging a little piece of foam or something in between the plastic where you hear it rattle.

I have a whole bunch of cheap huggies from a promo event for one of my businesses and just go get one and tear it into little pieces and use that to "wedge" in strategic places.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My front passenger seat belt hits the pillar when the buckle is lifted to high. That drove me nuts for a while until I figured it out. When people were in the car no rattle because they had the seatbelt on!