H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Hummer Professional

Captain of the Titanic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K&N, Headers, Dual Exhaust

I have not yet put on my K&N cold air system. I can't decide if I should. I read all the stuff about it doing nothing, etc. But I hear positive things as well.

I had a 99 tahoe before the Hummer(s) and ran headers/dual cats/dual exhaust as well as the K&N Setup. It gave me more power but also gave me a 4 MPG increase. I understand that headers on my Hummer are a "nothing" mod as well. I was VERY happy with the mods.

I look at the stock exhaust, and it doesn't look tuned to me, so why wouldn't the Headers help? I plan on doing a true dual exhaust, will it help?

I know the Hummer is detuned from the Escalade as well.

I also hear that if we do up the HP, things will break...

I am currently running a Jet stage one preprocessor with excellent results (better throttle response and 1/2 MPG better for 3000 miles, so far)

Sigh.. I am so confused.... I've got the headers (Hedman) and K&N in the garage... Should I put them on???

Please give me your opinion both ways. I have to make the decision one all this soon.

Thanks guys (and gals) for the assistance
2006 Twilight Maroon H2, Procomp 6001 rims, 35" X 12.5 X 17 Xterrain tires, Ram over-the-hood brush guard, Jet Stage I, Warn 9.5 winch and winch bumper, Hedman Headers, K&N Air charger, Lightforce driving lights, a little CHROME for good measure

2006 Victory Red H3 (The Titanic), R.I.P. - It didn't float

1968 Mustang GT convertible

2005 Harley Davidson Hertitage Softail, Stage I, Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs - Sold

2004 Jaguar S-Type (the wifemobile)
Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Hummer Professional

audiofetish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: K&N, Headers, Dual Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMOYELLO
...PS:OPINIONS R LIKE ASS HOLES AND THERE ARE ALOT ON THIS FORUM....

If I were you I would wait to put the headers on until you put on the exhaust. It defeats the purpose of headers to keep a stock exhaust. You will have better flow but the exhaust will bottleneck at the stock muffler.
95 Heep Wrangler
90 5.Slow
99 HMC4 Sold
01 HMCO Sold
04 H2 Adv Sold
03 H2 Lux Totaled
HOPE Volunteer
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

look at your tac when you drive and you will see that you semdom rev past 4500 rpm,so you should make sure your mods will not decrese low end torque. if these upgrades boost torque between 1000 and 3000 rpm great if not than you ain't helping yourself .all these claims of more power are just that if they can't be proven on a dyno . so dyno it B4 and after the mods and you will know for sure. what you want to do is boost preformance in the rpm range you opperate your vehicle with out takeing away anything from the low end preformance and driveability. if you think it will improve it great ,but figure the cost of it first you may find a very small increse in preformance in respect to the cost . if you want to get serious you could start out with a rebuild with a Lunati forged stroker crank (413 cid I think) some forged pistons,the appopiate roller cam,some porting and polishing to the heads ,balanceing and so on .now those headers will realy shine . there is no end to it ,and the only thing that realy makes power is large continuious infusions or cash . you want to have fun it will cost ,the more fun the more money .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditch the friggin K&N P.O.S!!! I did the upgrade to the K&N and I am totally pissed off with the product...Here is what I have done, I added the Dynomax UltrFlo welded muffler and exhaust system to the truck and then added the Hedman headers, this was a good decision. I have had zero problems with the install and the truck sounds awsome, on these two upgrades you will not be dissappointed. Prior to adding the K&N filter and tube assembly I had my rig go in for a top to bottom check and fluid replacement. I syn'd (Synthetic) all my fluids with the best stuff I could get, I flushed my engine, brake lines, transfer case, rear end and transmission. All in all I spent around $1,200.00 on this maintenance run.

Now for the K&N intake, I too thought that this mod would help in the overall performance of the truck, but when I looked at it closer I noticed that you gain the most HP at around 4000+ RPM's...when the F***K do you drive the rig that hard to rev it at 4000+ rpms. in order to notice a 12hp gain??? Okay, enough said about that...now for the important stuff, I did install the filter on my rig, at first I thought neat, you can really hear the airflow through this thing! But after about a week I was driving home and heard a very loud rapping sound from the engine compartment, I pulled over to find that the plastic friggen tube had come loose and banged against the fan blades, the fan blades took a 1"X2" chunk out of the corner of the tube. The draw back was, where the F***K did this chunk go to?? I had no other choice but to quickly tuck tape the corner and afix the tube back on the intake, (Another reason why you should carry some tools in your rig at all times). When i got home I called K&N and told them that i would need to replace the tube and if they could send me a replacement, (Don't misunderstand me here, I realized I may have not tightened the screws enough on the "O"ring and it was probably my fault the thing came off, I was not blaming them fo this, all I wanted to do was buy a replacement) they said that the tube is not sold as a seperate item! HUH!? WHAT?! I thought she (Sherry) was confused so I explained once again what I needed, again she replied that they come as a set....HS!!! I don't need the entire item all I want is the tube...sorry she said and that there was really nothing she could do.

I then called TRUE FLOW and they have a filter #10220 which will fit in my original air box (thank christ I kept this) and needeless to say I ordered it right away. When I finally got my TRUE FLOW filter I pulled off the K&N and was amazed to find alot of fine particulate dust on the inside of the plastic K&N tube and intake manifold, it took me almost an hour to fully clean out my intake all the while making sure that nothing gets scratched or damaged. I also found fine peices of plastic around the head of the intake, needless to say this was from the fan blades when they chunked out the intake tube. I had to spray a cleaner directly into the intake in order for it to flush out all the crap and fine dust that was in there. Granted the plastic breaking was a huge piss off, but after I saw how poorly this filter actually worked I was dead set to warn others about it's claims before they suffered a serious engine problem. To top it all off I went back to my mechanic and had them drain the Synthetic oil out of the rig,(remember, I just had this replaced a few weeks ago) replace the filter and let me know what it looked like. My mechanic phoned me back a short while later and asked if I had gone through somewhere extremely dusty? I said no, and he replied that my oil looked like it had alot of crap in it and was wondering if it had anything to do with the K&N filter letting too much particulate through, if so, he recommended I change back to the original filter from GM ASAP! or get the TRUE FLOW system right away. So Beware, the friggin thing does not work as well as they claim it does! This is based on my own personal experience with the K&N Filter, judge for yourself, but beware.

Last edited by MDimitri : 05-22-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

nmu98 is on a distinguished road

The man who said make sure your mods increase torque between 1000 and 3000 rpm's knows his sheet! No matter what they say about him...
Old 05-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
SOUNDS 2 ME LIKE U INSTALLED YOUR K&N SYSTEM WRONG..(USER ERROR)..U PROBABLY PICKED UP ALL THE DIRT WHEN YOUR SHOTTY INSTALL FAILED..(USER ERROR)U PROBABLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT U R DOING SINCE U WERE DRIVING YOUR VEHICLE AFTER YOUR SYSTEM FELL OFF...(USER ERROR)...

Thanks for pointing out what I already stated ya retard!!
I stated something that directly occurred to me, what others decide is their business.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
So I pointed out that U don't know your azz from a hole in the ground......Then U THANK ME? AND I'M THE RETARD ?

Dude, you've posted 144 brain dead one liners in this forum group, shown zero knowledge about anything other than how big your mouth is, hence the word retard suits you. If you've got nothing to say, then say nothing at all at least this way you'd have kept your secret to yourself now we all know it. Ya should have stayed in your closet little boy!

Last edited by MDimitri : 05-23-2007 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
I'm not the one who can't install a simple intake system...???And when it breaks because of my lack of skill with basic hand tools.....Cries like a baby and says the product is no good....U my man R A HEAD OF KNUCKLE>>>>>..NOW MOVE ALONG.....

I think I know who's opinion I am interested in NOMOYELLO....

Sorry, but it isn't your's.

You would be well served by listening to MDimitri.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not make him a retard.

I asked for opinions, not arguements and putdowns. They serve no purpose in helping me or other members of this forum.

I still appreciate your original response, however.
2006 Twilight Maroon H2, Procomp 6001 rims, 35" X 12.5 X 17 Xterrain tires, Ram over-the-hood brush guard, Jet Stage I, Warn 9.5 winch and winch bumper, Hedman Headers, K&N Air charger, Lightforce driving lights, a little CHROME for good measure

2005 Harley Davidson Hertitage Softail, Stage I, Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs - Sold

Old 05-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
I'M GLAD U VALUE THE OPINION OF A PERSON WHO NEEDS HELP 2 TURN ON A LIGHTSWITCH......MAYBE U SHOULD HAVE HIM HELP U PUT ON YOUR HEADERS......

Thats 151 now....tard!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
ALL U HAVE 2 DO IS READ YOUR POSTS ON THIS THREAD 2 SEE YOUR LACK OF BRAIN POWER...

Now you befit the meaning of the word: PERPENCOCULATED...ya window licker!

Last edited by MDimitri : 05-24-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Hummer Professional

NOMOYELLO:

You know, if you could actually use the english language, we might think of you as more than a 12 year old pud pounder. I think I know what you use your stick for. Your windex to clean your monitor must be outrageous.

If U Typ Lik Dis, U will nt B respected.

Go back to beating off to photoshopped nude pictures of Paris Hilton...

Old 05-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

nmu98 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You did not know they were photoshoped?