H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gobi Stealth roof rack

I need somewhere to put big stuff in the SUT. With the tonneau cover, It makes the bed/midgate almost useless. I've only used it once to fit a filing cabinet inside the truck. I've hauled all kinds of stuff, but most ends up getting strapped to the gobi rack on my tonneau cover or stuffed into the rear seats. I recently bought a 50" plasma and couldnt get it insdie the truck. It got strapped to the gobi at a 45 angle, ignoring the box which said it must remain upright. I sometimes get pissed that I have such a big truck, and can never get anything in it!!!!

I have some questions for those w/ roof racks:

1. do you actually put stuff up there? Maybe some examples of when you used it??
2. Does it make any wind noise?
3. Does the sunroof get blocked any?
4. What makes it better than just strapping stuff to the factory bars??
5. Are the PIAA square lights worth it? I have 4 PIAA 580's on the grill two spots, two driving. Will these add to it or be over powered by the 580's??
6. What about the gobi tool boxes? can I fit a 3" strap, extra tie rods, tools, shackles, etc. in one or would I need two?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gobi Stealth roof rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan06SUT
I need somewhere to put big stuff in the SUT. With the tonneau cover, It makes the bed/midgate almost useless. I've only used it once to fit a filing cabinet inside the truck. I've hauled all kinds of stuff, but most ends up getting strapped to the gobi rack on my tonneau cover or stuffed into the rear seats. I recently bought a 50" plasma and couldnt get it insdie the truck. It got strapped to the gobi at a 45 angle, ignoring the box which said it must remain upright. I sometimes get pissed that I have such a big truck, and can never get anything in it!!!!

1. do you actually put stuff up there? Maybe some examples of when you used it?? YES! bikes/ skis/ water cans/ tool box/ cooler/ matress one time/ 2X4's/ plywood
2. Does it make any wind noise? SOME! depends what you have up there.
3. Does the sunroof get blocked any? you see the lightbar (front of rack) through the sunroof but does not block any. I can get some pics for ya if you want.
4. What makes it better than just strapping stuff to the factory bars?? MUCH SAFER! You have the wire mesh to rest on and tie down to. the rails on the side will keep things from sliding off. YOu can stand up there too if needed.
5. Are the PIAA square lights worth it? THEY ARE VERY BRIGHT. I have 4 PIAA 580's on the grill two spots, two driving. Will these add to it or be over powered by the 580's?? THESE WILL ADD TO YOUR LIGHTING! NO THEY WON'T OVER POWER THE OTHERS. You aim the lights into different spots to flood or drive the lights out front.
6. What about the gobi tool boxes? can I fit a 3" strap, extra tie rods, tools, shackles, etc. in one or would I need two? The boxes are nice. I would put them on your bed rack though or you will not get in the garage. You won't want to take them on and off all the time.

Thanks.

Let me know if you have more Q's.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

1. do you actually put stuff up there? Maybe some examples of when you used it?? Yes
2. Does it make any wind noise? Not that I've Noticed.
3. Does the sunroof get blocked any? Don't Have One.
4. What makes it better than just strapping stuff to the factory bars?? EveryThing!
5. Are the PIAA square lights worth it? I have 4 PIAA 580's on the grill two spots, two driving. Will these add to it or be over powered by the 580's??
6. What about the gobi tool boxes? can I fit a 3" strap, extra tie rods, tools, shackles, etc. in one or would I need two? You NEED 2!

Thanks.

I have the 580's also...Getting two more sets And the warn light bar soon....Anyway, The Drivers, Spots, and xt60's are on the Rack, And the Fog & Drivers will be on the light bar.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:16 AM
Hummer Authority

Thanks for the replies. Tim does the wind noise occur when the rack is unlaoded?
Old 08-28-2006, 03:37 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Tim does the wind noise occur when the rack is unlaoded?

The best comparison I can think of is to slide your factory crossbar over your sunroof, slide your sunroof back and go for a ride with your windows up and roof open. That's what it will sound close to with your roof open. Now close the roof and that's what it will sound like with the rack also.

There's not much difference at all with all windows/ roof closed.

now this is for the stealth only with the PIAA 1500XT's. If you go with 5 series piaa's and/or the fullsize rack, it's much louder.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:51 AM
Hummer Authority

I would get the stealth and use the square lights as recommended. Thanks for the help.