H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 02-23-2006, 07:43 PM

GetzH3 is off the scale

Once i put my new wheels on my H3.. This light keeps coming on the dash..It says service TPM....
I went to the dealer to have it shut off..But they said my truck did not have the sensors for the tires on it...If it didn't have the sensors, why is the F'in light coming on?

Help me make sence of this!!!
Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 07:43 PM

GetzH3 is off the scale

Once i put my new wheels on my H3.. This light keeps coming on the dash..It says service TPM....
I went to the dealer to have it shut off..But they said my truck did not have the sensors for the tires on it...If it didn't have the sensors, why is the F'in light coming on?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure fstop will, or is right now, answering this for sure. I would guess the problem is that the system is looking for the sensors but your tire shop did not put them on the new wheels. Or at least did not do it correctly.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 02-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">why is the F'in light coming on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, maybe because the system isn't working properly.

You need to transfer the sensors to the new wheels and reset/reprogram the system.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GetzH3:

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe HummerNewbie hit it on the head.

All H3s come from the factory with tire pressure sensors in all five tires. But, I have to ask, did the person who installed your new rims, remove the sensors from the factory wheels and install on the new wheels?
Possibly, this is what the dealer means when he said the truck did not have sensors. The factory sensors are part of the valve stem and the stem is metal (stem is actually the antenna), if your new wheels have rubber stems, you don't have sensors.
The TPM message will go on for a malfunctioning sensor, or system, as well as low tire pressure(s). If there are no sensors, the system has to assume, all four are bad, or require reprogramming. Without sensors, your TPM message will always go off, and there is nothing you can do about it. (Please don't blame GM for this, call your local congressman, it is a Federal Law.)
If the tires do have the sensors, possibly the problem is the installer of your new wheels, didn't put the sensors back in their original location in respect to the corners of the vehicle. The system has to learn which sensor is at which corner of the vehicle (program). If this is so, there is a reprogram procedure in the owner's manual, or the dealer can use a special tool that saves some time, but will cost you. However, I believe from your explanation the tech checked the tires, saw there were no sensors, and that is what the tech told you.

So, we are back to HummerNewbie, and his statement.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:40 AM

GetzH3 is off the scale

No my wheels came mounted and balanced to my house from a dealer online...

So the sensors are inside the tires..So tires need to be taken off the rims to get the sensor's...

I think the dealer should have known that! instead of charging me $90 bucks to look for the sensor's..

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Hummer Guru

Have to disagree with you there. Dealers are in business to make money, and normally, for any non-warranty work, they charge one-hour. Dealers also are not responsible for aftermarket add on items, including wheels and tires.
If your tires came with rubber stems, it would be easy to figure out the problem right away, but they do offer metal stems, and at that point, they would have to determine if these were the sensors or just metal stems.

I guess the dealer might have asked, if you had installed the sensors before giving the job to someone to diagnose, but then they stand the chance of insulting the customer's intelligence.

Why not blame the supplier of the wheels? They should have warned you that there were sensors required or the system would display a warning message.

Yes, to stop the warnings, you have to install the sensors from the original tires.

If you went to a Doctor, and his/her diagnosis was you are healthy and can't find anything wrong, the Doctor charges you for the office visit.
If you call in a TV repairman (are there TV repairman anymore?), and he finds the TV unplugged, he would charge you, same if you took it to the shop. So, why should a dealer do some diagnosis for free?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
If you call in a TV repairman (are there TV repairman anymore?),... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes there are, had one out this week

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 02-24-2006, 01:35 PM

DDiablo1 is off the scale

I have the same problem, "Trick Trucks" put in my new wheels and I told them to put new sensors I actually went to GM to buy a new sets of sensors. When I pick it up they told me they did programed the sensors, but I think it did not take cause the message Service TPM start showing 2 days later, I took it back and they reset them back but next morning the message was back again so I will just take it streigh to the Dealer.
Wish me luck..
Old 02-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DDiablo1:
I have the same problem, "Trick Trucks" put in my new wheels and I told them to put new sensors I actually went to GM to buy a new sets of sensors. When I pick it up they told me they did programed the sensors, but I think it did not take cause the message Service TPM start showing 2 days later, I took it back and they reset them back but next morning the message was back again so I will just take it streigh to the Dealer.
Wish me luck.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Usually, if the sensors don't program correctly, you will have the TPM message immediately, not two-days later or the next morning.
What air pressure are you running in your tires?
Have to remember, if your new tires and wheels recommend 30 psi, and the temp drops twenty degrees at night, they will lose 2 psi and probably set off the warning. The sensors are calibrated for 35 psi to be in the tires.
That may not be the problem, but if it is, it will save you a trip to the dealer, since they cannot change the calibration of the system or the sensors.