H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 PM

RedGTS is off the scale

I'd heard the talk, and even seen a few pics, but I had personally never seen a fairly significant front/rear collision where one of the vehicles was caved in and the other one wasn't even scratched. Until this afternoon, anyway. My 16 year old son driving our H2 rear-ended a girl at a redlight, seriously caving in the entire rear of her VW Passat. Fortunately she wasn't injured (nor was he), but her car is going to need basically everything from the rear glass back. The officer who wrote up the report finished up with her car, walked over and looked at the front of the Hummer for 30 seconds or so, and then turned to me and said (with the look and sound of someone who had seen a UFO and just couldn't believe it), "I can't find any damage." It has a chrome brushguard, bumper, and tow hooks, and as best I can tell it doesn't have a mark on it. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 PM

RedGTS is off the scale

I'd heard the talk, and even seen a few pics, but I had personally never seen a fairly significant front/rear collision where one of the vehicles was caved in and the other one wasn't even scratched. Until this afternoon, anyway. My 16 year old son driving our H2 rear-ended a girl at a redlight, seriously caving in the entire rear of her VW Passat. Fortunately she wasn't injured (nor was he), but her car is going to need basically everything from the rear glass back. The officer who wrote up the report finished up with her car, walked over and looked at the front of the Hummer for 30 seconds or so, and then turned to me and said (with the look and sound of someone who had seen a UFO and just couldn't believe it), "I can't find any damage." It has a chrome brushguard, bumper, and tow hooks, and as best I can tell it doesn't have a mark on it. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

PICTURES!!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry about the accident. hope everyone is ok.
I'm surprised HD hasn't posted in this thread yet.

tick tock tick tock tick tock....

'03 H2
Old 08-16-2005, 11:14 PM

RedGTS is off the scale

Yeah, I know, pics would convey what I said much better than words, but I didn't have a camera at the scene (and while I could take pics of the Hummer now that isn't going to show any damage).
Old 08-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

damn! Good for us, bad for them!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:18 AM

RedGTS is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Humm This:
No damage done to the skid plate or lower bumper? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. The big shiny chrome towhooks are quite a bit larger than the stock ones, but I would have thought the chrome on everything would have been all scratched up at a minimum. The only thing I can figure is maybe since most everything on the back of her car that took the impact was rubber, plastic, or much thinner metal (bumper, tail lights, rear deck lid, etc.), there wasn't that much metal on metal contact. Plus that chrome stuff must be pretty heavy duty.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice...be ready to seek help from an attorney. There's a possibility that someone will get into that girl's head about filing a lawsuit. I've seen it happen on several occasions.

-Pete
Old 08-17-2005, 01:24 AM

RedGTS is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXSUT:
My advice...be ready to seek help from an attorney. There's a possibility that someone will get into that girl's head about filing a lawsuit. I've seen it happen on several occasions.

-Pete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not bad advice, but I am an attorney.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedGTS:

Not bad advice, but I am an attorney. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then I suggest you sue her for "pain and suffering" that you had to endore by watching her Passat fall apart like a Mrs. Fields crumbcake!

Old 08-17-2005, 03:43 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedGTS:
I'd heard the talk, and even seen a few pics, but I had personally never seen a fairly significant front/rear collision where one of the vehicles was caved in and the other one wasn't even scratched. Until this afternoon, anyway. My 16 year old son driving our H2 rear-ended a girl at a redlight, seriously caving in the entire rear of her VW Passat. Fortunately she wasn't injured (nor was he), but her car is going to need basically everything from the rear glass back. The officer who wrote up the report finished up with her car, walked over and looked at the front of the Hummer for 30 seconds or so, and then turned to me and said (with the look and sound of someone who had seen a UFO and just couldn't believe it), "I can't find any damage." It has a chrome brushguard, bumper, and tow hooks, and as best I can tell it doesn't have a mark on it. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glad everyone is ok. What caused the accident?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

Redgts- I'm surprised that it trashed the back of the jetta and the H2 airbags didnt go off??
Old 08-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Glad everyone is ok. I have seen a bunch of VW's in accidents and those cars sure can hold up.

I heard about an accident where a woman hit the back of an h1 at 45mph while the h1 was stopped at a red light. He had a bicycle on the back and his infant son in the back seat. The kid was asleep and never woke up. The cop was looking for the rider of the bike.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:50 AM

RedGTS is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glad everyone is ok. What caused the accident?[/quote]

It had been raining hard, but had pretty much stopped, so he had his wipers on intermittent. As he was coming up on an intersection he ran through a puddle that was a lot deeper than he thought and it threw up a lot of water on his windshield. He got on the brakes and reached for the wipers, but apparently about that time she stopped (she was moving when the water came up), and he just didn't get stopped in time.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:52 AM

RedGTS is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dug3x3:
Redgts- I'm surprised that it trashed the back of the jetta and the H2 airbags didnt go off?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I wondered about that too. I don't know what speed or collision force it takes to trigger one though. Plus even though the damage looked significant to the rear of her car, the impact speed may not have been very high at all when you have one car that didn't give at all and the other one did all of the crumpling.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it about 13mph? I've also heard 22mpg... I guess it depends on the manufacturer..

'03 H2
Old 08-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife had a similar accident in our Suburban with a brushguard on the front. Both were stopped at a stop sign turning right, the lady goes and then abruptly stops and my wife is looking to the left for on-coming traffic and steps on it. She hit the back to the Bonneville and caused over $5k in damages!! All from a standing start. It was the same, damaged to the rear window and all it did on ours was bend the license plate!
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXSUT:

-Pete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not bad advice, but I am an attorney. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!