H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Kerr is off the scale

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let your brains wonder for a little while.

Im currently looking at a 98 H-1, It does have its battle scars and custom tree pinstriping but what hummer doesent..

However a friend of the familys has a new H-2.

So the question is how do you decide..

I love the look of the H-1, love the sounds of the diesel, love everything about it except the price of a old car make them out of reach for many of us, and there is no warranty.

However After seening XXXX's H-2 on here with all the chrome blacked out and the 4" lift with black wheels, that totaly changes the "uppie", "Socker Mom" Look of the h-2, which around here is all that drive them.. ( i know my city sucks)

Just wondering what your thought are on a used H-1 vs A H-2. I mean they are about the same off road, To the point if your H-2 will not go and a H-1 will you probably dont need to be in there... the H-2 will win hands down on the road, then the cost of payments, Insurance, etc etc...

Its hard to decide.

I know someone besided me has run across this problem. So lets see some ideas and sugestions.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Kerr is off the scale

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let your brains wonder for a little while.

Im currently looking at a 98 H-1, It does have its battle scars and custom tree pinstriping but what hummer doesent..

However a friend of the familys has a new H-2.

So the question is how do you decide..

I love the look of the H-1, love the sounds of the diesel, love everything about it except the price of a old car make them out of reach for many of us, and there is no warranty.

However After seening XXXX's H-2 on here with all the chrome blacked out and the 4" lift with black wheels, that totaly changes the "uppie", "Socker Mom" Look of the h-2, which around here is all that drive them.. ( i know my city sucks)

Just wondering what your thought are on a used H-1 vs A H-2. I mean they are about the same off road, To the point if your H-2 will not go and a H-1 will you probably dont need to be in there... the H-2 will win hands down on the road, then the cost of payments, Insurance, etc etc...

Its hard to decide.

I know someone besided me has run across this problem. So lets see some ideas and sugestions.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:03 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Gosh, it's hard to say. Ok, how about the H3. If you add an H1 to the H2 that's what you get right?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:12 PM
H2 Club DFW Chapter Founder

HummerTeam is off the scale

I drive both, and am finding myself grabbing the keys to the H2 more and more...

It is very capable offroad, and offers much more comfort when city/highway driving. I have taken the H2 almost everywhere the H1 will go.

If you have other vehicles, and the H1 would be for your playtime, I would go that route. H1's are just badass.

If your H2 would be a daily driver, as well as your play vehicle, I would lean towards the H2 for the perfect mix in a vehicle.

The 98 is out of warranty, and is bound to have some issues, so keep the cost of ongoing maintenance in mind.

Either way, you are making a great decision. That is the good news!

Travis

HummerTeam.com
Old 08-15-2003, 06:38 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HummerTeam:
The 98 is out of warranty, and is bound to have some issues, so keep the cost of ongoing maintenance in mind.HummerTeam.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WRONG!!!! It has been well established and completely documented that the H1 is flawless and has absolutely NO MECHANIC ISSUES to speak of. Reliability is 100% and they are bullet-proof perfect!!!!

All mechanical incidents & issues are entirely the result of driver error!!!

My only meaningful input is this: if you plan to offroad it....NEVER own these vehicles outside a warranty, especially a particular one that is VERY prone to driver error!
Old 08-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Easy fix - buy the H2 and move from Bristol, VA up to Bristol, CT. You'll have the only one in town, except for when mine shows up.

I would think about your day-to-day life and choose which one will be most practical & feasable for you. The lure of the H1 is great, but if you do a lot of driving, etc the H2 would be better.

- Dan

-------------------------------------------
SUT on order since 12/02 - 10 months to go!
-------------------------------------------
Old 08-15-2003, 12:47 PM
H2 Club DFW Chapter Founder

HummerTeam is off the scale

Steve,

Sorry, my mistake...! However, no one on this forum makes any driver errors, or didn't you get the memo?

Travis

HummerTeam.com
Old 08-15-2003, 05:55 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

When I sold my Land Rover it was right before the H2 came out. I wanted a Hummer for 10 years. I test drove the H2 just to say that I drove one. I likes it but it wasn't as comforatable as my Convertible. I am tall and slide right into my seat. The H2 on the other hand is higher and required me to step up. If I had to drive my Hummer everyday I would in a heart beat. No problems except for my trip back from the Windrock event but that was due to all of the mud on the cooling stack which could happen to either vehicle. If I could afford both an H2 and an H1 together I would consider doing it, but I would probably lean toward getting another H1. 1 for street and one to beat.

Test drive both and see for yourself. Afterall you are the deciding factor. Comfort is different for everyone.

Chris
Old 08-15-2003, 06:53 PM

DiscoDancingRover is off the scale

What kind of Land Rover did you own?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
Old 08-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Hummer Expert

D-90. I owned 2 at different time though.

BTW don't let any Land Rover owner tell you guys that your trucks are not good of road. A stock H2 can go places a Stock D-90 would not. I have witnessed it first hand.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:16 PM

DiscoDancingRover is off the scale

I am a land rover owner. Anyway the H2 and D90 are not in any way comparable.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
Old 08-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Lord have Mercy....CKHagman on the H2 Elcova forum...now I've seen it all!!!!!

(I'm gonna tell Bob on you!)

As you can see...we already have a Chris who has no H2...so that job has been taken, but you're welcome to stay...we can use the laughs!

Welcome!
Old 08-16-2003, 12:13 AM

H2Norcal is off the scale

Kerr, I am not sure what what spawned your post or visit but I must say I am a little suspicious of your writing (wonder,doesent,seening,totaly,Socker Mom,besided,sugestions).

How old are you and what is your really purpose for this thread?
Old 08-16-2003, 01:06 AM

ticket2ride is off the scale

I've had an H2 since September 02. I wanted a Hummer forever. I expected to hate the H2, but when I drove it I was amazed, and ordered one.

Now, I see /lots/ of H2s on the road. Today I was on the highway and two others were driving right next to me, both of theirs were brand new -- temporary plates. I really wish I had the only H2 around. I want to be a special, unique snowflake.. Just kidding!

But... I've joined both the HML and H2ML and you should see all the problems with the H1! It's a miracle our military is successful with those things. Half shafts, transfer cases, 8th cylinders, leaks, cracks, you name the part it's got problems. But then, the military has unlimited parts and indentured mechanics...

H1 pros: /exclusivity/, even more insane off-road ability, it's BAD ASS
H1 cons: piss-poor reliability, huge expense for every little problem, noise, slow, no air bags, welcom to 1980s tech, did i mention really bad reliability?

H2 pros: fit/finish, insane off-road ability, very good on road ability, luxury, excellent reliability
H2 cons: everyone's got one including lots of soccer moms, won't look as good all scratched up as the H1, tie rods seem to be the only weak part -- and that's ok cause it probably just saves more expensive parts from breaking.

I wish there were a Hummer that is both exclusive and reliable. Until then, I've got the better option for me -- the H2.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:40 AM
Hummer Expert

Go ahead Steve R. I am just trying to figure out how an H2 exclusive forum works is all. I like to see how other H2 owners (besides you Ric, etc.) feel about H1 owners.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:45 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Chris...

I can answer your question: How H2 owners feel about H1 owners:

They think they are people who own H1's. Some can be snobby elitist jerks, many/most are really cool and friendly. Like anything else, they are individuals who must be judged on an individual basis.....that's what we think of 'em.

As for the H1 itself...we think it's the pinnacle of offroad prestige and capability, but at the sacrifice of expense, reliability and comfort.

You know...the usual.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:40 PM

ticket2ride is off the scale

Chris...

One assumption we can safelt make about H1 owners is that they're either loaded, or dedicated, or both.

On this board, most of the H2 owners seem quite personable.

However, I must say, on the road, most H2 drivers I've seen are total jackasses. I usually see them speeding, hanging in the fast lane, not using signals, and cutting people off. This is the ultimate in stupidity in a vehicle this bad at turning & stopping.

On the contrary, most H1 owners I've seen on the road were at least good, safe drivers.

I would guess that I would dislike most H2 drivers and like most H1 drivers. But it's important to judge each individual on his/her own merits. I would venture to say I'm an atypical H2 owner in many respects.