H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Has anyone done a dual-battery setup yet. If so, where did you locate the new battery.

I've got several things backed up that I have been needing to do and have parts everywhere. I plan on adding the Pioneer adapter setup for adding my MP3 player and XM satellite, I have a 1200 watt inverter I am adding, I have a hands free kit for my Motorola phone, I have a portable DVD/VHS setup that I want to make easier to plug up, I am setting up so my notebook will read from the Garmin GPS, installing Cibie Tangos in the DRL location, etc.

I have already run the battery down as the cigarette lighter plugs are always hot and are not protected against the battery run down feature like the lights are. So, I think I am going to add another solenoid that's switched like the winch setup that will power on/off all of the lighter plugs (except for maybe 1 or 2), other hardwired electronics and the power inverter.

I think more available amps would be logical with the addition of the new electronics, especially since some of the stuff is left on after the ignition is off.

Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Banned

Has anyone done a dual-battery setup yet. If so, where did you locate the new battery.

I've got several things backed up that I have been needing to do and have parts everywhere. I plan on adding the Pioneer adapter setup for adding my MP3 player and XM satellite, I have a 1200 watt inverter I am adding, I have a hands free kit for my Motorola phone, I have a portable DVD/VHS setup that I want to make easier to plug up, I am setting up so my notebook will read from the Garmin GPS, installing Cibie Tangos in the DRL location, etc.

I have already run the battery down as the cigarette lighter plugs are always hot and are not protected against the battery run down feature like the lights are. So, I think I am going to add another solenoid that's switched like the winch setup that will power on/off all of the lighter plugs (except for maybe 1 or 2), other hardwired electronics and the power inverter.

I think more available amps would be logical with the addition of the new electronics, especially since some of the stuff is left on after the ignition is off.

Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:40 PM

unaslob is off the scale

i have often thought of adding a second battery when I mount lights on the sides of my rack. when you take a good look, it is hard to find a good place to put one in the front. I was actually considering switching to one of those 'gel' batteries.. amperes higher. could solve your prob...

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 12-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Banned

I even thought of maybe having a protected mount made to install one somewhere under the rear near the stock compressor. It's about the only place I could think of that has room and I thought about using one of those gel racing batteries.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 PM

unaslob is off the scale

paragon, I had thought about that as well, but I think it would be a big pain in the ass mounting it in the rear... plus I would be fearful of wacking it on something. I am probably going with the gel... but they can be pricy..

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 12-10-2003, 11:48 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Costco sells Optima red top batteries for about $100.

I plan to buy one soon for the H2. Delco batteries have a bad habit of leaking acid. IIRC, someone on this forum had that problem.

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."
Old 12-10-2003, 11:54 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

I have the optima yellow in my Sub.. Have left lights front lights on along with the red and blues for along time at Crime/accident scenes.. Left interior light on for 2 days and never killed the battery.... I buy the biggest damn battery that will fit .. Attached is pix with lights.

Consider the OPtima before yo go the dual battery option.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2003, 02:07 AM

Rogue H2 is off the scale

I have installed two of the optima red tops from costco, I used the Painless Wiring solenoid to manage charging/isolation. I had to remove the factory tray and fab a new one. In addition the batteries had to be mounted on their sides.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:11 AM

unaslob is off the scale

rogueH2 have any pics???

unaslob

Old 12-13-2003, 02:21 AM

It's dark now but I will take some and post in the morning.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:33 AM

technrd is off the scale

To the left of the compressor, there is plenty of room for an additional battery. It will tuck nicely behind the bumper and leave you with about 4-5 inches between....Currently building a weatherproof steel box to hold a pair of westco 6 volts. These 2 batteries combined are about the size of an Optima, maybe a little larger..*note* Always be cautious about using an Optima as your main.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:46 PM

Pics
Attached Images