H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 07-12-2006, 05:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

ASTAR is on a distinguished road
Default Got a situation...help? (long)

Ok so I bought my Hummer at Putnam Hummer in Burlingame and so far so good. I had to take it in today (6 days old) for the loud wind noise coming in at the windshield, one key remote didn't work, the driver side mirror shook a little, and there is a slight vibration that comes on from 75mph to 80mph. The windnoise was horrible, hard to even talk on my cell phone while crusing down the freeway! The key remote, slight irritation (read no biggie). The mirror, also slight irritation but the concern of it getting worse is what prompted action. The vibration... this is my other big concern. It is a slight vibration but I can feel it. The worry that I have is that it goes into the shop Thursday for a lift kit (6" Fabtech) and I know that if the driveline is bad, they'll blame the lift and I'm on my own. I need to establish a solid baseline before modifying. The service advisor said that the tech believes its the tires being out of balance slightly. I don't agree. No I am not an ASE certified mechanic but I have built a lot of 4x4 trucks and such as I used to own a 4WD shop and know what a driveline vibration feels like.
They are going to rebalance the tires for me in the morning and I am to pick it up. I am in a bit of a pinch though because my H2 needs to be about 150 miles away from the dealership tomorrow because my dad bought my stock tires from me for his lifted (getting done tomorrow) Chevy that he just bought. He needs the tires tomorrow, I have an appt to have mine lifted the next day and I am worried that it will still have the vibration. Then when i bring it back, it'll have the lift and again, I'm on my own. I would just put off doing the lift but then I screw my dad. Hopefully they will tell me that the tires didn't solve the problem and they have to order a driveline. I can take my H2 and get the lift done and bring it back next week for the driveline install. I don't see it working out that way just because my luck isn't that good. Anyone got any ideas or had the vibration before as well?

As far as the other things, they are replacing the mirror, doing the windshield fix, and a new key remote so all is well there.

They gave me a new Buick for a loaner (from Enterprise) so it sucks driving that when I was just getting used to the Hummer. No Nav, XM, steering wheel controls, coolness
Can't wait to get my new baby back and hopefully by Saturday it'll be better than ever!
I am also installing a Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back system, Hypertech Programmer, and an Airaid intake filter kit, HID light ballasts, and some billet stuff on Saturday.
WHEEEEE!!!!!
Black/Ebony, Lux, Air, DVD, Nav, 6" Fabtech Lift, 4.88 gears, 20x12 Weld Cheyenne 8's, 38x15.50 Toyo M/T's, Flowmaster cat-back, Hypertech Programmer, Airaid intake, Sirius tuner, IPOD adapter, Silverstars, Bike carriers, some Billet stuff.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got a situation...help? (long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTAR
Ok so I bought my Hummer at Putnam Hummer in Burlingame and so far so good. I had to take it in today (6 days old) for the loud wind noise coming in at the windshield, one key remote didn't work, the driver side mirror shook a little, and there is a slight vibration that comes on from 75mph to 80mph. The windnoise was horrible, hard to even talk on my cell phone while crusing down the freeway! The key remote, slight irritation (read no biggie). The mirror, also slight irritation but the concern of it getting worse is what prompted action. The vibration... this is my other big concern. It is a slight vibration but I can feel it. The worry that I have is that it goes into the shop Thursday for a lift kit (6" Fabtech) and I know that if the driveline is bad, they'll blame the lift and I'm on my own. I need to establish a solid baseline before modifying. The service advisor said that the tech believes its the tires being out of balance slightly. I don't agree. No I am not an ASE certified mechanic but I have built a lot of 4x4 trucks and such as I used to own a 4WD shop and know what a driveline vibration feels like.
They are going to rebalance the tires for me in the morning and I am to pick it up. I am in a bit of a pinch though because my H2 needs to be about 150 miles away from the dealership tomorrow because my dad bought my stock tires from me for his lifted (getting done tomorrow) Chevy that he just bought. He needs the tires tomorrow, I have an appt to have mine lifted the next day and I am worried that it will still have the vibration. Then when i bring it back, it'll have the lift and again, I'm on my own. I would just put off doing the lift but then I screw my dad. Hopefully they will tell me that the tires didn't solve the problem and they have to order a driveline. I can take my H2 and get the lift done and bring it back next week for the driveline install. I don't see it working out that way just because my luck isn't that good. Anyone got any ideas or had the vibration before as well?

As far as the other things, they are replacing the mirror, doing the windshield fix, and a new key remote so all is well there.

They gave me a new Buick for a loaner (from Enterprise) so it sucks driving that when I was just getting used to the Hummer. No Nav, XM, steering wheel controls, coolness
Can't wait to get my new baby back and hopefully by Saturday it'll be better than ever!
I am also installing a Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back system, Hypertech Programmer, and an Airaid intake filter kit, HID light ballasts, and some billet stuff on Saturday.
WHEEEEE!!!!!

I'd put your dad on hold and make sure your rig is fixed up first. But that's just me. Congrats on the purchase...

'03 H2
Old 07-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Hummer Professional

Motohead is an unknown quantity at this point

windshield noise is a quick fix.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2Blondie is off the scale

Congratulations on the new truck, but I wouldn't do anything to it until they take care of ALL the problems (with factory tires). You are liable to have future battles if the lift is done prior to you knowing that the vibration is fixed. That baseline you are looking to have should be achieved BEFORE modifications!

Money may not buy happiness, but it makes a nice down payment!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

On the bright side, chances are if you have a vibration at 75-80 and it goes away driving faster or slower, then it's 99% tire balancing.

I've been in that exact same scenerio and as long as I'm sure I can cure it, I don't worry. If you don't want to worry about it, have them rebalance the tires or rotate them and see if it changes.

If the mph "window" changes or goes away, then you know it was balancing.

As far as the other problems, a lift kit has nothing to do with those so they can still work on it.

Good luck, congrats on the new H2. I have the same kit and love it.... sometimes I wish I had gone bigger but...

Mark
Old 07-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Hummer Authority

SnakeH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTAR
I had to take it in today (6 days old) for the loud wind noise coming in at the windshield...

Could you explain what the wind noise is like. I believe I've had that happen a couple of times. It happens when I'm going 50 plus, and the wind is very strong. VERY loud noise.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Elcova Newbie

Neil G. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
On the bright side, chances are if you have a vibration at 75-80 and it goes away driving faster or slower, then it's 99% tire balancing.

Mark

^^ concured

A-pillar mouldings warp in the sun and creates wind noise.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

ASTAR is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeH2
Could you explain what the wind noise is like. I believe I've had that happen a couple of times. It happens when I'm going 50 plus, and the wind is very strong. VERY loud noise.

It sounds like there is a window down just a touch or something like that. Very loud wind noise.
Black/Ebony, Lux, Air, DVD, Nav, 6" Fabtech Lift, 4.88 gears, 20x12 Weld Cheyenne 8's, 38x15.50 Toyo M/T's, Flowmaster cat-back, Hypertech Programmer, Airaid intake, Sirius tuner, IPOD adapter, Silverstars, Bike carriers, some Billet stuff.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point

DEFINATELY FIX THE ISSUES BEFORE THE LIFT!!!!! Our service department would not be ble to correct anything that could be associated tothe lift if you brought it back after the work wads done. Fix the issue, then make it pretty!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agriv8r
DEFINATELY FIX THE ISSUES BEFORE THE LIFT!!!!!!!!

X2!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

X3
Old 07-13-2006, 03:28 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

X4
Old 07-13-2006, 05:45 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agriv8r
DEFINATELY FIX THE ISSUES BEFORE THE LIFT!!!!! Our service department would not be ble to correct anything that could be associated tothe lift if you brought it back after the work wads done. Fix the issue, then make it pretty!!!
Agree 100% and this guy knows his shiznit.