H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-17-2005, 02:14 PM

mr.jeepster is off the scale

I go out alone a lot (both in my H2 and on horseback - so much so that my horse is named Solitaire!) What unit do you guys use/recommend from the after market? I use one on horseback, but it is a simple speed/distance unit. Which units allow you to download topos, etc., and are best for wheeling in the So Cal deserts?

I have a few trail maps with GPS coordinates, so a "go to" feature would be great as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Scott
'03 H2 Adv. Pkg. w/10"DVD
Old 08-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Hummer Professional

Goalkeeper has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I also use a Garmin (I need to check the model), mostly when I'm sailing. It rocks, i've taken it all over and is essential on the water!
01 - Ducati 748 Bip, Yellow- Giddy Up!!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy C H2 hasbeen:
Garmin make the best units in my opinion and they have the best mounts available - use tapcons though - they get a better grip on a horses head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have had a Garmin handheld (I think maybe it's a V) and it works great. I don't like using tapcons though. Too much work involved. I use the .22 caliber nailer with foundation nails. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was actually going to suggest that - but there are animal lovers here you bastard.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Just did a bunch of research on this and got the Garmin GPSmap 60C a couple months ago. Lots of these units are the same, but what I like about this one:

- larger screen than others, while not much bigger (size of a Motorola talkabout)
- color screen that you can see under sunlight, or in dark
- longer battery life than others - 30 hours
- supposedly better reception than others with internal antenna
- easy to use, can even figure it out w/o manual
- lots of accessories you can buy, like an handlebar mount for bikes, dash mount, etc.
- all the basic stuff, like waterproof, autorouting, etc.

You can get it for under $400, but you do have to buy map software, which is about $100 for road and $100 for topo

I use mine for hiking, mountain biking, wheeling, and for general city/road navigation. Such a better option at least for me than having it built in to my H2. Wish I had gotten one of these sooner.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy C H2 hasbeen:
Garmin make the best units in my opinion and they have the best mounts available - use tapcons though - they get a better grip on a horses head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have had a Garmin handheld (I think maybe it's a V) and it works great. I don't like using tapcons though. Too much work involved. I use the .22 caliber nailer with foundation nails.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

Garmin make the best units in my opinion and they have the best mounts available - use tapcons though - they get a better grip on a horses head.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Hummer Expert

Orbital H2 is off the scale

I use a Garmin Map GPS 76, you can map out the trail on your PC than download it onto the GPS.
it has a smaller screen, than most mounted units, but is easy to use, its waterproof and will float on water. I originally bought it for sailing and have used it off road and for hiking. There are smaller units available.
go to http://www.garmin.com
Old 08-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Garmin Rino 120. It combines a two way radio with GPS. Allows you to beam your position to another Rino user. So you can see on the map right where they are. Ebay has then for about $180
Old 08-17-2005, 02:14 PM

mr.jeepster is off the scale

I go out alone a lot (both in my H2 and on horseback - so much so that my horse is named Solitaire!) What unit do you guys use/recommend from the after market? I use one on horseback, but it is a simple speed/distance unit. Which units allow you to download topos, etc., and are best for wheeling in the So Cal deserts?

I have a few trail maps with GPS coordinates, so a "go to" feature would be great as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Scott
'03 H2 Adv. Pkg. w/10"DVD