H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-14-2006, 06:14 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Question for frequent wheelers

For you guys that get out more often, how much do you spend on repairs/extra maintenance each year? I've been getting out more often now, and I'm finding that things are starting to groan, chatter, and whine in ways that are disconcerting.

I guess I want to know maybe how often I'll have to expect to replace ball joints, CV joints, steering components, suspension parts, etc?

I have 65,000+ miles on the truck....
Old 11-14-2006, 06:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

H Duece is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question for frequent wheelers

I haven't owned mine very long, but have been off road a few times. So far, I've spent a FORTUNE in car washes alone! Other than that, the only thing I think I've *broken* is my knock sensor.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Hummer Professional

johndjmix1 is off the scale

I bent that tubeular guard behind the skid plate. I bent it up ever so slightly, which makes it just barley contact the exhuaust pipe making a very loud, bad sounding rattle at times that was VERY difficult to pinpoint. Harmless, but its driving me nuts!!!

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Magnusun Radix Supercharger!!!
Switch to allow full Nav Controls while moving
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 11-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix1
I bent that tubeular guard behind the skid plate. I bent it up ever so slightly, which makes it just barley contact the exhuaust pipe making a very loud, bad sounding rattle at times that was VERY difficult to pinpoint. Harmless, but its driving me nuts!!!

--John

You know, you have built in cage straightener. Take the cage off, drive over it with the h2, put in back on. Also, you can use some washers on the rear to get more clearance away from the frame.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

1.)There is only 10,000 miles on Big Nasty and we have replaced a lot, CV joint, centerlink, Pitman and idlers, t-case and tierods etc...

But a lot of it is due to the lift and bulkier tires we got installed the same week of purchase.

2.)Our old one had more miles but many electrical problems and the cooling fan blades torn apart after some running through big puddles at Paragon.

But that one was supercharged by by Lingenfelter. They changed a lot of stuff out. I think it was just too many hands in the engine leading to MacGyver like fixes on the trail.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pack_suv_500h2.htm

So we never really had a normal one.

No real body damage but the occasional tree bite, but I have seen it on other H2's. Which can be costly. Or you could be like Adam and Paragon and not fix it because you know there will be more.

I think for a stock H2 the most wear and tear would be on the IFS and to plan accordingly with regular alignments/a look underneath (which we always do after a trip) and carry extra tie-rods. Grease what you can and keep up with recommended maintenance and invest in some off-road protection accessories.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Hummer Authority

GLBLWARMR is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2co-pilot
No real body damage but the occasional tree bite, but I have seen it on other H2's. Which can be costly. Or you could be like Adam and Paragon and not fix it because you know there will be more.

Well fixing the body damage would be like getting a tattoo and then going and having it removed just doesn't make sense. Cannot take away from the trucks character. You know like they always say "Chicks dig scars".

As far as the orginal question. With heavy off-road us there are going to be things that are going to need to be replaced more frequently. Alot of this comes down to how you wheel. If you are smart about things then alot of extra maintanence can be avoided but there are going to be times when things just go snap. If you do not like the tree bites there are the body protection panels out there to help with the issue.
2013 Victory Cross Country
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 11-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Hummer
You know, you have built in cage straightener. Take the cage off, drive over it with the h2, put in back on. Also, you can use some washers on the rear to get more clearance away from the frame.
x2 on the cage straightener. Used with a good 4x4 and it works well. Works great for the skid plate as well if you take your time and use 2 pieces of wood.

Be careful with the washers, though. That metal is soft that the bolts screw into and strip out very easily. Not enough threads up in there and it will surely get pulled out.

I lost the center one in the back because the UCP bent way up and acted like a pry bar on the bolt and stripped it all the way out.