H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

http://www.hummerlaptops.com/products.htm
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I said a fool and his hobby and or job.

I'm not saying that there isn't a place for a more robots computer just that 99% of the population would never need such a unit.

Take camera's for example, the weakest link is the battery. Take a camera to a Packers game in December and if you're not carrying the battery next to your body before putting it in the camera for use, forget about it lasting very long. In the extreme cold batteries don't last very long. Laptops regardless of manufacture would have the same problem.

Water falling or use when it is raining can be dealt with, put the laptop in a large freezer bag, most are clear enough to allow operation and the largest ones will allow you to put your hands inside or use a couple of rubber-bands and incase the laptop within the plastic then type on the keyboard normally. I'll admit it might be a bit strange but it works. As a photographer and most recently as a digital photographer I'm out in the rain at sporting events all the time. My cameras remain dry and my Macintosh G4-laptop has remained dry and functional for the last couple of years. So I know the plastic bag trick works out in the field.. Most drill sites either oil or water have a control shack and or truck where other electronic equipment can kept safe and warm. Yes extreme temp changes can and will cause problems for electronics. As for resistance to dust. A can of compressed air works wonders or simply remove the screws when you get back to a safe place i.e a hotel room and blow the unit out. The only reason a consumer grade laptop would get destroyed in the field is because of carelessness by the operator.

prime example of carelessness:
your quote:
How about -50C outside up north in the tundra. Take your alienware outside at that temp, and then bring it inside a tent.. the condensation would kill the laptop.

Why take the laptop out of the tent in the first place? If you are going to contact the head office the safest place to do it is in the tent. If you're going to do a video conference again the safest place is in the tent. Personally I have friends who have climbed Everest and they took there Dell with them. It worked just fine so long as common sense was observed. Anything is going to fail if it is misused.

For the average user/gammer/graphic artist/computer programmer/digital photographer/teacher/federal employee/private citizen, or most other run of the mill type occupations a computer from Alienware will out perform most other computers on the market. Yes they are extremely expensive but you get what you pay for. And yes I own two work stations from Alienware. I've not purchased one of there laptops yet since most of my post production work is done in house and I have a mac laptop which does what I ask of it when outside.

As a prime example of quality control or lack of it. I purchased a workstation from a national chain (Pc-Club) just needed a box for e-mail,letter writing,ftp access,something that could be isolated from the rest of the network but available to the outside world. Well after 3 mother board replacements all work being done at pc-club and countless months in for various repairs at pc-club the store manager simply refunded my purchase. In contrast my Alienware computers which are used daily and heavily with large amounts of data being created, moved, and then removed (typically an activity that would require formatting or defragging often) have never once failed or exhibited any type of problem i.e the blue screen of death that are so common to the average Dell,HP and many of the other pc's out there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ParchedMosquito:
Fubar, you'd be right to say that most laptops components are manufactured in taiwan. Power isn't the issue here, resistance to dust, moisture, and vibration is. What country its assembled in has very little to do with how reliable or durable it is, especially these days.

Any laptop could be usable in the field, its just a question of duration. Even a little rain would destroy a consumer grade laptop. Most consumer laptops aren't tested to be reliable in conditions that certain itronix laptops have gone through. That particular hummer laptop is probably tested to mil-810. Not the most stringent standard, but certainly more than an Alien ware. Parts like water proof fan assembly's, magnesium casings, gasketed cases are NOT common on every laptop.

I can think of many places (including some exotic, and not so exotic places) that would not have shelter.

An alien ware laptop is no different that a run of the mill dell or hp in terms of reliability and durability.

When I'm standing 2000' underground with water dripping everywhere and I can't move to a location where there's no water as my instrument are plugged in, I'll use an itronix.

How about -50C outside up north in the tundra. Take your alienware outside at that temp, and then bring it inside a tent.. the condensation would kill the laptop.

Next to a drill rig in the pouring rain..

10000' up in the mountains near Chile. Ever had a hdd crash on you at altitude?? not pretty.

When its 48C degrees outside, and a couple hundred thousand dollars of data are on the line, I will use an itronix. Not an alien ware.

I've learned through practical experience that the laptops people buy based simply on their computational specifications (most consumer grade laptops) are not good enough. I've been to too many places and broken many a laptop for stupid reasons like overheating, short circuiting due to moisture. All the dual processors, multi HDD, 17" UWXGA screen is worth squat if you can't use it when you really need it. What you're paying for here is the computer AND the casing.

4500 bucks?? worth every penny and that amount of money would be a drop in the bucket in an equipment budget for most projects. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Hummer Expert

Marcmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

We do all our reports at work on Itronix POS's. They flat out suck. Constantly in for repair.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Pad
Old 11-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw one on FUH2. They were flipping it off.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CO Hummer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
Very few of us would ever need a laptop for extreme conditions.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about that. I frequently type emails while I'm in the shower or when I'm out smoke jumping. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 11-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL! Home computer for 2004.

Cool and interesting find.

My Video Collectionez

Old 11-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ParchedMosquito:
Fubar, you'd be right to say that most laptops components are manufactured in taiwan. Power isn't the issue here, resistance to dust, moisture, and vibration is. What country its assembled in has very little to do with how reliable or durable it is, especially these days.

Any laptop could be usable in the field, its just a question of duration. Even a little rain would destroy a consumer grade laptop. Most consumer laptops aren't tested to be reliable in conditions that certain itronix laptops have gone through. That particular hummer laptop is probably tested to mil-810. Not the most stringent standard, but certainly more than an Alien ware. Parts like water proof fan assembly's, magnesium casings, gasketed cases are NOT common on every laptop.

I can think of many places (including some exotic, and not so exotic places) that would not have shelter.

An alien ware laptop is no different that a run of the mill dell or hp in terms of reliability and durability.

When I'm standing 2000' underground with water dripping everywhere and I can't move to a location where there's no water as my instrument are plugged in, I'll use an itronix.

10000' up in the mountains near Chile. Ever had a hdd crash on you at altitude?? not pretty.

When its 48C degrees outside, and a couple hundred thousand dollars of data are on the line, I will use an itronix. Not an alien ware.

I've learned through practical experience that the laptops people buy based simply on their computational specifications (most consumer grade laptops) are not good enough. I've been to too many places and broken many a laptop for stupid reasons like overheating, short circuiting due to moisture. All the dual processors, multi HDD, 17" UWXGA screen is worth squat if you can't use it when you really need it. What you're paying for here is the computer AND the casing.

4500 bucks?? worth every penny and that amount of money would be a drop in the bucket in an equipment budget for most projects. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dang! Can I come with you? I'll do whatever. pleaazzzeee....?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Hummer Expert

Orbital H2 is off the scale

Found this in the archives. probably not protable enough for the exploration applications, but I thought it was an interesting time capsule.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2005, 03:03 AM
Hummer Novice

ParchedMosquito is off the scale

I wouldn't discount these laptops durability so quickly..

We have a few itronix Xplore tabletPC's and they are far and away the most durable computers we use in the field. Makes a panasonic toughbook look like a paper mache computer..

Water tight, plexi screens, magnesium casings.

We use them in extreme cold, extreme hot, and everything in between.

An alienware laptop would crap out in less than half the severe environments we put the itronix tablet's through.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:07 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

"Laptop" and "HUMMER" in the same sentence. Not what I was hoping this thread would be about.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Rocks:

Dang! Can I come with you? I'll do whatever. pleaazzzeee....? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

X2!

ParchedMosquito sound like he has a way cool job!

Parched, you're on my PM list for computer knowhow info.

My Video Collectionez

Old 11-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point

GHEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
We have that pic on the wall at work and never did figure out the ship steering wheel. I love the “Fortran language making it easy to use”, most of you guys can barely use a mouse, LMAO Fortran </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I dropped out of Fortran on the first day.

Pretty close on the ship steering wheel. It's actually a display console from an Boomer class submarine that's been photochopped. It's a maneuvering room that was on display at the Smithsonian. You can see more about it here: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...ithsonian.html
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

http://www.hummerlaptops.com/products.htm
Old 11-29-2005, 12:51 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Rocks:
I saw one on FUH2. They were flipping it off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's funny... I don't care who you are

Mark
Old 11-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry
Old 11-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you get them at Hooters.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Hummer Novice

ParchedMosquito is off the scale

4500 bucks?? worth every penny and that amount of money would be a drop in the bucket in an equipment budget for most projects.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Hummer Messiah

I love that laptop! Me wants.

The GPS is extra nice touch since some of us would love to be on-line anywhere.

Some features are lacking but it's pretty cool out of the box (Just like the Hummer).

My Video Collectionez