H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

We had four foot drifts at the top, 6-8 inches of snow running on sections of the trail. It just depends on where the sunlight hits the trail and yes it makes all the difference in the world because it's so slick.

We broke through one 4 ft. drift that took a little while. It's really fun when there are rocks, dirt sand AND you're on a major incline. Hummers are so great
Old 11-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

All great shots!!
Old 11-22-2003, 06:29 PM

argonaut is off the scale

Very Nice Jason. That is sweet. makes me want to get out again. It has been a month now since I have seen mud. I need to hit the trails. Very inspiring Hummer pics. BTW, a Hummer is a Hummer. I would love to have a bunch of H3 people join the forum when that comes out.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent pictures!!!! Love seeing the tanks in action. I've taken a couple of loaner H1s wheelin' so I have complete understanding of how tight trails can be in those things. Did you guys ever have to use a winch?

Argo, hannah Hummer is going to the Washougal track again on Decmber 7th. It was a mud fest last time. A total blast!!
Old 11-22-2003, 06:47 PM

Damn, those guys never invite me. Of course I didn't buy my Hummer from them... Still, I get my service done there. I love mud, it looks so good on the H2...
Old 11-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Hummer Messiah

Argo,
If you'd like I'll make sure they call and invite you.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:24 PM

Sure. That would be awesome. I like to play in the mud. Most of the really good mud pits at brown's camp were covered or closed.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:20 AM
Hummer Expert

Arizona Hummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks like you LA Boys, have way to much fun in the snow. Arizona got some of that white stuff, I think they call it sand. Great Picture's of your trip.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:27 PM

Rick-H1 Guy is off the scale

Hi All,

John Bull was one of the toughet trails I've ever done, I've been up steeper, I been on longer boulder runs, I been through tougher obstables, but never in the same run, The down hill through the boulders was amazing! Yes I did use the winch, once at the top of the White Mountain run, to get through the four feet of snow without shoveling and once to get through the two trees obstable, what an amazing obstable! At one point I was resting on the rocker panels on both sides with my wheel get barely touching the ground, it was so cool, there is no other vehicle in the world that can self-recover like an H1! It was a great run. After I used the winch for me we were able to just use a tow rope to hel the second and third guy through! Actually Subman made it up the White Mountain run without help but he was the tail gunner and all the snow was gone by then! Keep on Hummering!

Rick
Psycho with H1, I mean really don't try and follow me! (Unless you want to have fun and bend metal)
Old 11-23-2003, 07:25 PM

Frank Hewitt is off the scale

Great pics. Thanks for your time in posting them-- and keep 'em coming! H1, H2, I don't care-- I just love to see a Hummer kicking some ass!!! Thanks again for both the pics and the commentary. Happy trails.

gasman
Old 11-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Hummer Expert

I really liked this trail combo. We hit some really steep stuff that would leave the Jeepers and Yodas behind. The Hummer has such a great center for this stuff it was just perfect not to mention the ability to constantly change your tire pressure really helped on this trip. On the road we were at 35psi. Easy trails were 20-25psi to smooth the ride. When we hit the steep snow covered climb we tried 15psi, which was a no go so we aired down to 8psi and it climbed perfectly now here is the great thing about an H2 vs. an H1. The H2's traction control is a little easier to use than the H1 so on this climb, properly aired down the H2 would have done really well. Don't get me wrong the H1 is great but it takes some talent to use the TT4 (right Rick?)

On the rock crawling a Jeep or Yoda would have done well with the short wheel base BUT probably would have never reached the trail head without hitting some serious climbs.

I think the perfect run is white mountain, John Bull, and finish with Gold Mountain. That would be a full day with 3-4 vehicles attempting it. An H2 can make John Bull with a good driver (Steve, Alec) (in the snow), it is NOT for a newbie! You will really need to watch your lines to maximize ground clearance.

I'll post a recovery pic shortly.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Hummer Expert

This was a really fun obstacle. The 16" of ground clearance didn't help much because we were totally resting on the underbelly protection. The two rear tires are not touching and the rock between the trees forced your tires on a specific line because of the snow. See boo boo on next post.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Hummer Expert

Now that we are winched to a tree we get a just a little tug and then the Hummer is back on power again. The only problem was when the rear end got the tires on the ground again it forced the roof line in to the tree. We all drove away with bruises up top. This is where one of those little 4x4's would really help but I think the diff would get caught up if not broken in the rear.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Hummer Messiah

Oh, what a pisser!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:23 AM

RockYoda is off the scale

Hey glad you guys tried it and made! Looks like you had alot of fun! What was the deal with the tree? I don't remember any tree being in the way last time i was there.

I have done all the trails you did with snow in my Yoda (we have also done Holcom Creek and Deep Creek with 4-6' of snow on them). It was not that hard with my locked and loaded Toyota but it was also hella cold last year.

Keep up the good work and get those things on the trails!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:54 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Congrats on one hell of an adventure!!!

As anyone can figure, I wasn't part of this excursion. Dave and I put together a Hummer Happening for Bakersfield Hummer on Saturday (the next day) and I've lately been pressing my luck with my wife and all the wheeling I've been doing lately.

However, given the pics I've seen...I'm not sure I would have wanted to go. The underbelly of the H1 has two things the H2 doesn't have: a LOT more clearance AND long/smooth skids plates intended to be dragged over rocks & boulders. The H2 has those ladder-like gussets reaching out to the rock-rail that tend to catch rocks and get ya all hung-up. I can't really see how we'd get past those two tight trees. that center boulder would just smash right into our skid plates: game over!

Let me get some 37's, tweak the torsion bars up and get some serious underbody protection....I'll give it a shot then!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:57 AM

Artie is off the scale

nice pictures