H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-16-2003, 07:12 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I recently considered purchasing an H1 (for my business ya know). Thanks to my good friend George the write-off would be fantastic and I would get to play in it every once in a while. Honestly, the marketing would be great. I would have it stickered with my business name and Humm around Pasadena in it, so I went to Sherman Oaks to take a look. To my dismay and surprise I was not at all intrigued by the H1. I specifically looked at little things like door hinges, the paint job, the soft top and the interior. I noticed GM had thrown in some climate controls and radio bin parts to keep costs down. It just didn't look that great. Now, consider it was over 100k and my decision was almost made. I think I like the idea of an H1 more than I like the H1. I think most will agree that the simple fact that GM has mass produced the H2 is bound to ensure it is of better quality and reliability. No one argues the point that the H2 is better on-road. Everyone will argue that the H1 is the ultimate off-road but that the H2 will do most of what the H1 will do and in some instances do more depending on trail size etc. This same argument will come about when the H3 comes out. I am sure the H3 will perform better somewhere than the H2 fueling the debate. My guess is the H1 will be phased out of the military over time for heavy duty pickups that are modified, dune buggies and whatever other concoction they can come up with. At that time, GM may decide to completely re-design the H1 so it is of higher quality,fit and finish of the H2 for around 100K. They will be able to do this if they can keep the sales numbers up but for right now I would pass on the H1 unless you can get one dirt cheap and have a fund prepared to keep it running properly.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:25 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

True the military might decide to use another truck in the future. They did so with the Jeep. Of course it took them a number of years but they still did it.

H1 reliablity? People don't talk about how much fun they are having they ask questions on how to make there truck better for them. That is what forums are for.

Remember GM tried to market the H2 for military. You know what they decided, not cost effective.

GM can not and will not redesign the H1 for the military for 1 reason and 1 reason only. It is not their truck, never was and can not make changes to its overall design.

If someone tries to compete with AM General on the military contracts, what do you think will happen. AM General will beat them on price. Ira Rennert bought AM General for $20 million in 1992 and its value today is $1 billion.

And since AM General made the military Jeep for the military they do have a long standing relationship with each other.

On last thing. I heard the H3 was at the test track and performed better than the H2 all around.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Kerr is off the scale

H2Norcal,

what’s your point? You want to bust my balls over some spelling.. damn next time ill proof read to make sure my fingers typed out what I wanted them to.

If you don’t like what I typed don’t read it.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:31 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Chris..

The H1 IS being re-designed to some extent. I hear the windshield will actually have an angle to it and the dash will be re-done. They are planning to work with a Duramax diesel engine, stock electronic lockers,m improved traction control system and a few other innovations BORROWED from the H2.

You hear the H3 is on the test-track outperforming the H2?....did the toaster or the microwave tell ya that???

What is so often forgotten is that the H1 was not designed to be the ultimate offroad vehicle. It was intended to be a general planform for military use, hence the incredible versatility in its application: ambulence, missle launcher, water-tanker, mobile communications station, machine-gunner, etc!!

The fact is, they have been taken and hybrided as offroad vehicles that we are using today for offroading. The fact also is...the long wheelbase and width make them very precarious for real trail-blazing and getting around through tight-stuff and general trails. I've seen Jeeps walk throgh stuff that Hummers get hung-up on. Bottom line: define ultimate.

I just ran a trail today through windy mountains and tight turns with moderate terrain variations: I flew through it way faster then an H1 could. Fact is, unless I hit an obstacle that would preclude my getting over it, the H1 can't even come close to keeping up: I'm way quicker, faster and my suspension articulates WAY better thus allowing me more control. The weight and slownes of the H1, along with its limited articulation makes it a dog as compared to the H2 (on this track).

I suppose you could say the H2 was on the test track and performed beter then the H1 all around!
Old 08-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Slanted windshield. Yes I heard that too. Not happening. Against military specs so that is not happening.

Talked to a AM General test track workers about the H3. He said it did incredible.

Speed is not what off roading is about. It is the last thing you have to worry about. If you are going more than 10-15 miles another the majority of the time then you are going to fast.

Where's meat.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:11 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Chris...

Don't even mention the "M" word...aside from Ric and a scattered few others....that term has no relevance on THIS forum. His rancidity would not be welcome here and his termination has been preemptively arranged.

I don't doubt the H3 is going to be a formiddable offroad vehicle...but it's still in developemnt. Beyond that...do you really think a bunch of H2 owners really want to hear about how another vehicle can out-do theirs? Play that tune elsewhere... And just remember one thing Hagman: WE ARE THE ORIGINAL IMMATATORS!!!!!

Offroading can mean more then 10-15 mph. At my deesrt-event we had about 5 H2's and 15 H1's. We had flawless runs of the H2's, H1's dragged; one got stuck and two continually had problems getting up hills! (yes, driver expereince and TT4 issues).

Today at a Hummer Happening we found the H1's cumbersome to manuever around the course and they tended to slide-off the side-slopes moreso then the H2's.

As I see it, unless the clearance becomes an issue the H2 is right there next to the H1....and there really isn't a huge margin of difference, the window is smaller then you think.

If the driver is a beginner or intermediate....they'll almost always do better in an H2; only a very expereinced driver can make the H1 shine. The H2's oustanding traction control system, rear locker, suspension and power have numerous advantages over the H1.

And as we both know...it's almost always the driver who makes the difference.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Hummer Expert

Driver is always the difference.

Here's an important question for you. How do you get so many owners in your area so go off-roading. I drove 10 hours to an event and do you know how many h2 owners came. I would say about 3-4. One was from Teaka Toys. Great truck by the way and the rest of the trucks were owned by GM.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Hummer Expert

Driver is always the difference.

Here's an important question for you. How do you get so many owners in your area so go off-roading. I drove 10 hours to an event and do you know how many h2 owners came. I would say about 3-4. One was from Teaka Toys. Great truck by the way and the rest of the trucks were owned by GM.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:01 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Well....our Slitherfest event had only 5 H2's to about 15 H1's....but our Pismo event was pretty much an even mix of each:

9 H2's and 11 H1's (more if you include guides)

Here's what I've figured: Many buy a Hummer for image and fun alone....they have no interest in taking it offroad. Sure....they may try it once or twice, but that's about it. There are a precious few who are really interested in putting the vehicle through its capabilities.

As for the H1, there are those who bought it for offroading and they are very serious about taking every opportunity to get out and get dirty. Also...there are many older and more trashed H1's out there...and so people are inclined towards offroading. My H1er's are very passionate about getting outdoors and using their beast whenever possible.

As for the H2, most bought it for image and will very rarely take it offroading. However, a more prohibitive factor is that these fresh babies are brand new and people just aren't quite ready to get them scratched-up and dirty JUST YET. In time I feel quite confident we'll see plenty more making it to the offroad events.

I have very few newer H1's with us. When the H2's start getting older and not so prestine, I think we'll see more getting dirty.

The ironic thing is...we run trails and courses that don't bash, trash or thrash the vehicles....but people don't know that and assume the worst.

Another reason I have good turn-out: demographics.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:01 AM

H2Norcal is off the scale

Sorry Kerr, but you caught me at point where I have reached the end with some of the stupid topics that get posted on this site. Old timers disease I guess.