H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-12-2005, 02:38 AM

Diana is off the scale

In all honesty, I was wanting an H3. I love the look of them. However when we went to the dealership, they were all sold. We looked inside one of them, and my husband did not feel it was big enough. Since it was sold, we could not test drive it. I noticed the back seat did not appear to fold flat down. This was important since I have dogs to haul around.

My husband saw the H2s up close, and that is what he wants me to have. He said the H3 would be under powered, and we were hesitant about buying the first year of production. I love the H2s, but my friend has one, and it is not fun in the city with parking and navigating in traffic. The H3 seems so practical, and has so much potential in the custom goodies department.

How do you like your H3? I know nothing about them, just that they look hot. Honestly, how is the power? Does the back seat fold down flat? I have two Rotties and a Pit Bull to haul in the back, so I need fold down seats.

I know you are biased because you love your H3s, but honestly be tough on them. I think it is what I really want and not the H2.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:38 AM

Diana is off the scale

In all honesty, I was wanting an H3. I love the look of them. However when we went to the dealership, they were all sold. We looked inside one of them, and my husband did not feel it was big enough. Since it was sold, we could not test drive it. I noticed the back seat did not appear to fold flat down. This was important since I have dogs to haul around.

My husband saw the H2s up close, and that is what he wants me to have. He said the H3 would be under powered, and we were hesitant about buying the first year of production. I love the H2s, but my friend has one, and it is not fun in the city with parking and navigating in traffic. The H3 seems so practical, and has so much potential in the custom goodies department.

How do you like your H3? I know nothing about them, just that they look hot. Honestly, how is the power? Does the back seat fold down flat? I have two Rotties and a Pit Bull to haul in the back, so I need fold down seats.

I know you are biased because you love your H3s, but honestly be tough on them. I think it is what I really want and not the H2.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

ShaunH3 is off the scale

Just got ours, has less than 500 miles so really haven't tested out the power yet. After it rolls over 4000 I'll start to give it a little but until then it is going to be babied. On the one rig we test drove at Shaw, it seemed to have more than adequate power and handled very nicely.

Gas mileage cannot be beat. We have both a H2 and a H3 now. The H2 gets 9 mpg and the H3 gets more than triple that.....28mpg!!! Taking deerfoot daily definately makes that mileage add up.

It definately is alot smaller than the H2, but realistically for luggage space, the H2 doesn't really have alot considering its size.

Tons of headroom! Love that about it....

See my other post for what I'm doing for my first (of many to come) mods.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:28 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The title of this thread started by Diana:
So... how do you like them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>NOT quite what I was hoping for.

Seriously, we checked them out and think they're great. How big do you want to go? H2, Tahoe, Suburban, Excursion?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:48 AM

hyperion78 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The title of this thread started by Diana:
So... how do you like them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>NOT quite what I was hoping for.

Seriously, we checked them out and think they're great. How big do you want to go? H2, Tahoe, Suburban, Excursion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

she's such a tease isn't she? But with 2 rots and a pitbull I'm sure that rear seat would lay flat eventually, if not the dogs can deal with a little bit of an incline.

as for shaun.... you got 28 MPG? are you serious? dammmn do you drive like a grandma or something?
Old 08-12-2005, 04:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

ShaunH3 is off the scale

Like I said.....babying it and driving like a grandma for the first 4000......

Keeping it under 3000RPM's.

After that the rubber hits the road!
Old 08-12-2005, 12:37 PM

Diana is off the scale

I LOVE the H2, but my friend has one (custom blue, beautiful truck), and it just seems like it can be a pain in the ass to park, or navigate through traffic at times. She also granny drives, so it drives me up the wall. I don't want a Suburban or Tahoe or any Ford or Dodge. I am a Chevy girl, but we are known to roll around in a red 930 Porsche on nice days.

The gas mileage on the H2 is discouraging at times too. I am sick of cursing at the gas pump with my Tahoe as it is. Gas is a buck a liter now, and is only going up.

Shaun, are you sure that is 28 MPG or is it Km per gallon? Everytime I have gone to Shaw, all the H3s are gone. One day I came and they had a red one and a green one. They were closed and when I came back 2 days later, they were both sold. Later, I got a look at the red one, but since it was sold, I could not drive it. I wish there were other Hummer dealers other then Shaw, since they do have a monopoly on them. What did you pay for your's?

It is important that the seats fold down for the dogs. I take them everywhere. I think I will be without a Hummer for awhile, until I figure out what I want. Personally, all I feel that I need is an H3. I do really love the look of them, however, looks alone don't make a vehicle.

Shaun, good to see another Calgarian...
Old 08-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

TimJ is off the scale

Diana, I am also in Calgary. I picked up my black Lux/Adv. H3 three weeks ago today (ordered it three months before that). I have just under 3000 km (1860 miles) and I simpy LOVE IT!!

My mileage has definately not been as good as Shaun's. I have been averaging from 15 to 17 mpg with about a 50/50 mix of city to highway. I do tend to have a bit of a lead foot however and I pulled a 4000 lb. motorcycle trailer out to BC through the mountains.

It could use some more room in the back but hey that's why companies like Yakima and Thule are in business.

It's a dream to drive. Sooooo comfy. I'm 6'1" tall and there is tons of room for me and I have had some buddies sit in the back that were 6'4" tall and they said there was lots of room back there too.

Yes it could use a little more power for passing on the highway and towing in the mountains but it get's the job done very well as is.

It's tons of fun off road and it navigates the parkade I park in downtown like a dream.

All I can say is go down and talk to Andy at Shaw and get yourself an H3, you'll love it.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

TimJ is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShaunH3:
Like I said.....babying it and driving like a grandma for the first 4000......

Keeping it under 3000RPM's.

After that the rubber hits the road! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My approach has been quite different. Baby it for 1000 km and then drive it like you stole it but don't want to break it...LOL
Old 08-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hummer eh! is off the scale

great, not only fellow canadians but albertan's at that. i'm hoping to get down to the dealership today and put in the order for my slate blue lux H3. i was hoping to find info on the GMID discount in canada but haven't been able to discover much. always hoping to get a bit of a deal on a new ride. anyway, glad to see fellow albertans on this site.
nothing like paying a buck a liter for gas!
Old 08-12-2005, 03:27 PM

Diana is off the scale

I will call Shaw and see if they have any in stock. I want to drive bit before I do anything. I am pretty torn up about the whole H2 or H3thing. I can get the new H3 about $50000, nicely equipped. I can buy a two year old H2 for about $59000, depending on where I get it from.

So, does the back seat of the H3 fold flat down? That is a really big issue for my dogs. I am glad there is lots of leg room. I am six feet tall, and most of my height is in my legs. I even find the H2 passenger side does not have quite enough for me to stretch out.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

TimJ is off the scale

Unfortunately the back seats do not fold down flat. Makes it tough to have a nap in the back.

I am sure you could lay a thick blanket down in the back with the seats folded down and your dogs would be super comfy.

My Lux/Adv H3 with chrome package, towing package, step sides, roof rail airbags, sunroof, towing package including tax was less than the $59k CDN you might pay for the used H2 (not that the H2 isn't one hell of a rig).

Hummer eh! makes a good point about a buck a liter for fuel.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:09 PM

Diana is off the scale

If the seats don't fold down flat, it will look so sloppy in the back. Dammit, why did they overlook something important like that. I guess I have to go see them, and decide. There are pros and cons to both the H2 and H3. I just have to measure everything up...
Old 08-12-2005, 04:16 PM

H3OH is off the scale

Diana,

The back seat fold down isn't that bad at all. I think some people forget that the seat itself actually pulls out and falls down into where your feet would go and then the back seat falls down. I've seen a couple of pictures here of people doing it wrong that I thought I'd say something. It's not "sloppy in the back" as you so elegantly put it!

With that said, yes it doesn't fold completely down. You have options though! If you're crafty, you could create a "lift" for the bed of the H3 to make it flush with the little hump that starts from the back of the seats. Simple 2x4's, some plywood, etc. It would be even more kick ass because you could use the space under it to store some dog toys, snacks, etc. Just a thought.

If that's your make it or break it, then don't sweat it. I wouldn't be surprised if someone took what I just said above and makes an after-market "liner" for it.

I love the H3. I find excuses to go out and drive it!

Hope it all works out for you.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I never realized there were so many H3 people in Alberta. Where have you been hiding? My wife and I are from Missouri getting ready to leave Banff for Whitehorse, points a little north, and Kluane National Park. We will be back at the Delta Bow Valley in Calgary, about the 10th of September on our way back to Missouri and hopefully we could all get together. I want to see that smooth yellow tailgate in person that I saw the picture of in another post. Is Joey Tomatoes, still in business to meet at in Calgary?
I have over 10,000 miles on my H3, absolutely love it, and I think you will find the cloth seats fold down flatter than the leather ones. My mileage has been averaging around 18 mpg - 90% highway. You get used to the visibility fast, it is a true offroad machine that rides well on the highway, and I love the comfort of the seats. If I would have designed the H3 I would have only made two minor changes after living with it for 10,000 miles - make it easier to change the oil yourself, and move the electric window buttons forward - both pretty minor things. I've had no problems or strange noises and love the way it tackles trails as well as the highway.
The more I read about brown/grizzly bears in the Kluane pamphlet the more I realize, you need to give these beasts lots of respect and distance. We bought some bear proof containers last night. We've seen lots of Moose and Caribou at Banff but no bears.
PS _ I think the people in Alberta are some of the nicest and friendliest, I've ever met anywhere. I always gave that honor to the people from Maine, but we've met so many nice people up here so far. Newbie, I'm hoping you'll have your H3 when we get back, and slate blue in Montana - great picture!
Old 08-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

ShaunH3 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I want to see that smooth yellow tailgate in person that I saw the picture of in another post. Is Joey Tomatoes, still in business to meet at in Calgary? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tailgate will be done by September 1st, and yes there are several Joey Tomatoes in Calgary. We should definately have a Hummer meet in September!

And we picked up our H3 outside of Calgary (poor Shaw and their monopoly hehehe) actually got ours off of EBAY! Had it railed back to Calgary from DETROIT and 2 weeks later we had EXACTLY the unit we wanted......only drawback.......she reads MILES!
Old 08-12-2005, 06:04 PM

Diana is off the scale

I am really leaning for the H3. I saw one today and they are really hot. Right now I drive a two door Tahoe, and the seat does not fold flat (why I am concerned). I just put one Rottie in the very back, and the Pittie and other Rottie just sit on the back seat or one co-pilots.

Thje size, styling and gas mileage of the H3 is very encouraging. I am just wondering about the power with the inline five. I read somewhere on these boards GM is already going to bump up the power an extra 25 horses next year. I am wondering if I should just wait for that to happen.

My husband likes the H2 much better, but essentially, it will be my vehicle to drive and I like the practicality of the H3 better.

You guys are all great!!!

Hummerjim, there are sytill lots of jerky Albertans, but generally we are nice people. I was born and raised in Calgary, and most native Calgarians are still very nice and laid back. I think a Joey Tomatoes would be fun. I jusyt don't know if I will ever get my Hummer at this rate. My friend is starting the Alberta Hummer club, and is busting my chops to get one too. I just want the right one, and don't want to overspend either... After the new Hummer is in the driveway, the aftermarket obsession will begin...
Old 08-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

TimJ is off the scale

Well HummerJim if you staying at the Delta Bow Valley then the Joey Tomatoes in Eau Claire is certainly the closest being right down town.

I would definately love to meet up with you all.

Btw Jim. On your way between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake on the Alaska Hwy you have to make a stop at the Liard Hot Springs! They are absolutely fantastic...you might even have to spend the night at Trapper Dan's because you will want to stay so long. As well you should be sure to stop in at Toad River to see there gigantic baseball hat collection.

It is beautiful country up that way and I know you will have a wonderful time!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:43 PM

Diana is off the scale

Shaun, since you have both the H2 and H3, which one do you like better. Some pros and cons would be fabulous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShaunH3:
Just got ours, has less than 500 miles so really haven't tested out the power yet. After it rolls over 4000 I'll start to give it a little but until then it is going to be babied. On the one rig we test drove at Shaw, it seemed to have more than adequate power and handled very nicely.

Gas mileage cannot be beat. We have both a H2 and a H3 now. The H2 gets 9 mpg and the H3 gets more than triple that.....28mpg!!! Taking deerfoot daily definately makes that mileage add up.

It definately is alot smaller than the H2, but realistically for luggage space, the H2 doesn't really have alot considering its size.

Tons of headroom! Love that about it....

See my other post for what I'm doing for my first (of many to come) mods. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

ShaunH3 is off the scale

Well for pro's and con's it is really really dependant on what you use the vehicles for.

The H2 is alot bigger, but don't be expecting a ton of cargo storage, because literally there is none. Unless of course you remove the spare and the 7th passenger seat and then you have about half the space as you would in a Yukon or Suburban behind the second row of seats.

Without question the H2 gets more looks than anything. We have 22" wheels, and alot of chrome so it demands attention.......and on the road demands respect! People move out of your way - - not that I am aggressive driver, but they just dont want a H2 on their tail.

It is a really really big unit.......parking takes some getting used to and so does the parachate launch when stepping out.

For daily driving, the H3 is the better route. It just makes more sense. It has fuel efficiency, smooth shifting, quiet, nice ride and small enough that you don't really notice any handling difficulties in tight situations.

If you compare the two vehicles, the H3 seems like it has more head room than does the H2 based on vehicle size.

The H2 really is not what I would call a city vehicle......not for daily deerfoot driving anyways. The H3 on the other hand suites the city lifestyle nicely.

The rear seats, although do not fold completely flat, still make enough room for hockey bags or golf clubs.

All in all both are great, but for city life the H3 wins.