H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road
Default What is it with some drivers?!

This morning I slowed to allow another driver to go ahead of me (out of courtesy, not right of way) and she stopped right in front of me and glared at me.

I threw up my hands but didn't flip her off, then she proceeded down the on-ramp and nearly stopped. At this point I'd had enough so I stomped on it and went around her on the shoulder- but she floored it and kept me from passing.

Since buying my H2 in Feb. I can't tell you how many times I've been buzzed by pick-up trucks & sports cars- you know those guys going 80 on the highway that pass you and change lanes about a foot in front of your bumper.

WTF is with these people? I bought an H2 for what it has not some social statement, I often have my kids on board and I don't drive like an ass. I didn't sign up for this crap.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is it with some drivers?!

So, what's to complain about? I love it when this happens. Bring the raaahr from these guys, let them have a heart attack, makes their day miserable. Mission accomplished.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Hummer
So, what's to complain about? I love it when this happens. Bring the raaahr from these guys, let them have a heart attack, makes their day miserable. Mission accomplished.
x2

If you get the chance to speak with them make sure to say something along the lines of, "Don't be grumpy with me just because you look so old/fat/tired/etc." That works really well with women.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hit them next time.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

Linus Gump is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't recommend hitting them, that will open up a can of worms you don't wnat to deal with. It becomes road rage, and since all the cop is going to see is your vehicle parked on top of thiers, guess who they are going to think is the aggressor? I drive a semi all day, one loaded with gasoline at that, and morons do this to me all the time. I understand your frustration with it, but you gotta keep your cool. Defensive driving teaches you to yeild your space to prevent an accident, and to expect that the other driver will do something unexpected.
Merging is one of the biggest complaints I currently have about driving. It seems there are very few driving schools that teach how to properly merge, and who has the right of way at a merge point. Mommy and Daddy generally don't teach their kids either, mostly because they don't know themself.
The person on the freeway has the right of way, and the person merging is responsible for matching thier speed to that of traffic on the freeway. The merging traffic needs to be up to speed as quickly as possible and positioned so as to blend into traffic without causing traffic on the freeway to alter their speed or change lanes. They need to merge as early as possible, and not wait until thier lane ends to merge. Trucks and anything pulling a trailer, or vehicles that are obviously going to be slow to get up to speed require traffic on the freeway to allow extra space for them to merge.
Anytime I see someone following these rules, I make every effort on my part to ensure a smooth merge for them. The ones that dont usually wind up driving on the shoulder for a while before getting on the freeway and then speed past while flipping me off.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road

Good point on the merge- I should have been more clear, she stopped me on purpose at the top of the ramp. This is a somewhat rural area and the ramp does a 180? before it meets the highway.

For a moment I thought about re-enacting the Hummer commerical called "The Big Race" where the kid takes the shortcut off-road

I'm surprised at the reaction of these drivers, it's not like the Hummer is a new phenomena, they should already be over their anger issues.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a lift. With a lift, you can pretty much creep up to their rear bumper far enough that your front is hanging over their trunk. Then flip on your brights. You can see the urine puddling from under the drivers door after that.

Stacy
Old 10-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

gump- my biggest peeve is people who dont merge. It so god dang easy to merge into traffic, I dont know how people get so dumb.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Hummer Guru

frenzy1 is on a distinguished road

Has never happened to me !! People are too impressed by the size of my hummer here in Belgium ! Nobody's used to big ass american trucks over here !!! They Bow Down !!

MY TRUCK : NO !
MY DOG : MAYBE
MY WIFE : YES

Old 10-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been fortunate that I have not had any bad experiences with other drives -- until two weeks ago. Since then, things have been crazy.

I was leaving a parking lot at a hospital two weeks ago, turning right. I stopped for less than two seconds to make sure there was no traffic from the left, and some pinhead in an Infinity lays on the horn. Stupid thing is that he wasn't even turning right; he was turning left, and there were two lanes, one for each direction. Later that day, I was crossing the parking lot from Wal-Mart to Tim Horton's, and there was a lot of traffic. I was driving straight through, and had a stop sign. A Dodge Ram was facing me, also with a stop sign. I was driving forward, he was turning to cross in front of me. When the traffic cleared, I went forward, and so did he, even though I had the right of way. Then he has the nerve to flip me off. What a moron.

The idiot thing I have noticed drivers doing the past week is trying to pull around me on the right shoulder when I stop because someone in front of me is turning across traffic. If it was bumper-to-bumper, and we would be stopped for five minutes, I could understand that. I would probably go around the person, too. But in all three instances in the past week, I only made a rolling stop. By the time the person has turned, and I start to proceed, I notice someone coming up on the right. In all three instances, I stepped on it. There was no way I was going to let them get anything out of their idiotic behavour. Fortunately, in two of the instances, since they were now pulled over, other traffic pulled in front of them, and they got knocked even further back.

Maybe karma is making up for lost time in my situation. Who knows?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

ipeefreely is on a distinguished road

Boar, we need the power of the duramax. That way if any one of those idiots try to pass us up, we'll just dust them little suckers with our 5 ton monster.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone who honks at me to hurry up always gets an extra 10 seconds of my time.

On 4 occassions I got out and walked back to the honking offender's car. They're not so tough then (Except for one. That turned into a tussle.). They usually act all confused and innocent.

I've learned to play it smart most of the time. There's no law when you lick their window or hump their side mirror. .

The days of feet flattening and bear spray are behind me. I hope.

My Video Collectionez

Old 10-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipeefreely
Boar, we need the power of the duramax. That way if any one of those idiots try to pass us up, we'll just dust them little suckers with our 5 ton monster.
The problem is that my daily driver is a 10-year old Chevrolet Lumina. I don't think I can fit a Duramax in there.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisAJC
Anyone who honks at me to hurry up always gets an extra 10 seconds of my time.

On 4 occassions I got out and walked back to the honking offender's car. They're not so tough then (Except for one. That turned into a tussle.). They usually act all confused and innocent.

I've learned to play it smart most of the time. There's no law when you lick their window or hump their side mirror. .

The days of feet flattening and bear spray are behind me. I hope.
I kept wishing I had stopped and gotten out. I have done that only once. The offending vehicle was a taxi, and he was parked at one of the entrances to West Edmonton Mall. As we drove past him, he decided to pin it and try to pull past us on the right. I stepped on it, cut him off sideways, and stopped. I happened to have three friends with me, all over 6' tall, one over 6'6", and all four doors opened and we got out. As we walked towards the taxi, he gave it in reverse, then tore off around us on the other side and left.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

tazhog54 is on a distinguished road

That would of been a kodak moment post
Old 10-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazhog54
That would of been a kodak moment post
It kept us chuckling for most of the day.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I think at one time or another, Dennis, Hummbebe and Rocks have all been on the phone with me when I've been forced to insult someone while driving.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
I think at one time or another, Dennis, Hummbebe and Rocks have all been on the phone with me when I've been forced to insult someone while driving.
That makes me think of the scene in Weather Man, with the Slurpee.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

Gump! You're a God Damm Genius. You're a model of God given ability!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Hummer Authority

ShaggyX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar-Ral
Later that day, I was crossing the parking lot from Wal-Mart to Tim Horton's, and there was a lot of traffic. I was driving straight through, and had a stop sign. A Dodge Ram was facing me, also with a stop sign. I was driving forward, he was turning to cross in front of me. When the traffic cleared, I went forward, and so did he, even though I had the right of way. Then he has the nerve to flip me off. What a moron.
Who stopped first? Doesn't matter who was going what way...whoever stops first has right of way and goes first. If he didn't signal, or if you stopped first (or same time) that's fine. But if he stopped first...he had he right of way eventhough he was turning left.

People who think just because they are going straight and I am going left means they have the right of way at a stop sign piss me off.