H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-02-2005, 05:41 AM

Jesse is off the scale

OK - before I decide what I am going to do with the outside - I want to know if anyone has had any experience with the factory navigation and adding video inputs and a 6 disc cd changer.

Any insight on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

1. Adding video can camera inputs the to Navigation. Does the auto switch really work when put in reverse? How is the quality? Can I wire in the factory installed rear entertainment system? So far I have seen products from – any suggestions?
http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m...et_rgb_gm5.asp
http://www.pac-audio.com

2. Adding a six disc cd changer. Apparently it can be done – but has anyone here actually added this to a Touch Screen Navigation unit? Seems like the slot unit can replace the On-star location – has anyone relocated On-star? Since it will hardly be used why use up valuable real-estate?
http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/custo...me.php?cat=354

3. Rear Camera - seems like there are two main locations. One replaces the center light up on top with a camera and the other is located somewhere on or near the trailer hitch. What works best? Does it really help with backing up in tight spots? Which location gives you the better perspective – the camera on top seems like it might be partially blocked by the spare tire. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:41 AM

Jesse is off the scale

OK - before I decide what I am going to do with the outside - I want to know if anyone has had any experience with the factory navigation and adding video inputs and a 6 disc cd changer.

Any insight on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

1. Adding video can camera inputs the to Navigation. Does the auto switch really work when put in reverse? How is the quality? Can I wire in the factory installed rear entertainment system? So far I have seen products from – any suggestions?
http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m...et_rgb_gm5.asp
http://www.pac-audio.com

2. Adding a six disc cd changer. Apparently it can be done – but has anyone here actually added this to a Touch Screen Navigation unit? Seems like the slot unit can replace the On-star location – has anyone relocated On-star? Since it will hardly be used why use up valuable real-estate?
http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/custo...me.php?cat=354

3. Rear Camera - seems like there are two main locations. One replaces the center light up on top with a camera and the other is located somewhere on or near the trailer hitch. What works best? Does it really help with backing up in tight spots? Which location gives you the better perspective – the camera on top seems like it might be partially blocked by the spare tire. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Hummer Professional

rocketw19 is an unknown quantity at this point

question 1 yes i have a adaptor that lets me use my stock screen for a back up cam and also dvds. the interface is made by soundgate. there are others as well
question 2 yes the factory six disk changer can install where the onstar is.
question 3 the rear cam is gonna depend on what you wanna see and yes when you shift in reverse the cam automaticly turns on.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:04 AM

Jesse is off the scale

Awesome
Awesome
Awesome

Any ideas as to where to move the On-star buttons to? Or should I just toss them since they will hardly ever be used. Or is the 6 disc changer with cartridge a better option?

As for the camera - I don't care to have it on all the time - I just want it to be helpful to see whats behind me when I am backing up.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Hummer Professional

rocketw19 is an unknown quantity at this point

i moved my onstar on the side of where they were and down a lil. you can move it anywere you like the place i choose was the eazyest. the changer is you option but the factory one looks nice there i have no idea of the qualty but does look good. id check into the qualty first. the back up cam will only show when you put it in reverse unless you wire to a different switch. example. you start your h2 the nav pops on then you put it in reverse the back up cam has a built in switch so it automaticaly switches to the rear cam. your done backin up put it in drive and your nav pops back up.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:40 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jesse:
3. Rear Camera - seems like there are two main locations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are three. Good perspective when mounted here and yes, it's a great help when backing up. If you wire it correctly, you can manually turn it on while not in reverse, which is sometimes entertaining while sitting at stop lights.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 PM

Jesse is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jesse:
3. Rear Camera - seems like there are two main locations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are three. Good perspective when mounted here and yes, it's a great help when backing up. If you wire it correctly, you can manually turn it on while not in reverse, which is sometimes entertaining while sitting at stop lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which camera is that? Is it wide angle? I am leaning toward the hitch location or bumper. This location does give me some new ideas. Although I have considered removing the spare tire all together.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:48 PM

rodster is off the scale

The camera is Hitchcam's Framecam. Not sure if it's "wide angle" but it definitely sees beyond the outside edges of the truck. The cam mount can be swiveled up and down. Mine is set to show 12 inches behind the tire on the bottom edge of the view. The top edge of the view is higher that horizontal.

Worth noting, perhaps: If you put the cam in a hole drilled in the bumper, if you ever go to 37" tires and keep the spare on the rear, the larger tire may block the view.