H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 02-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

GPan099 is on a distinguished road
Default Stuck Wipers

I searched the forum & read all the threads on this issue. During heavy snowfall/icing the wipers stopped working in the upright position. Most people said the wipers restarted after cooling for a while. Mine have not. I checked the fuse, switched out the relay & still no good. Anyone have any ideas before I bring it to the dealer?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

djaqualight is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stuck Wipers

I noticed that mine do something strange in the intermittent setting. Every other pass of the wipers seem to stick. It's like they want to move but they just sort of twitch. The next cycle they work fine and so on. Nothing major but its kind of annoying when they stop midway through the cycle which is sometimes in the middle of the windshield.

It seems to get worse in the freezing temps.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Hummer Professional

Scouts Out is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess timein gis everything, thsi is exact;y what mine are doing. Every 5th intem. cycle it pauses in the up position and sits there. It started yesterday. My windows were clear but I had them on slow to keep the blowing snow off them when they stopped in the upright position. After probably 5 minutes i pulled over checked fuses and all, checked a few other things, closed teh hood and they started working albeit in wierd ways, the first cycle it does two sweeps, then the 5th sweep it stops in the up positoin for a long perios then back to the first cycle starts over...

I will make an appointment back at Wright and get them and the rattles checked out again

Superior Blue, Adventure Package, Roof mounted off road lights, Auto, 6 Disk Monsoon with XM, Brush Guard, Tire Cover, Husky mud flaps, flat steps, black fuel door.

Other Cars.....

1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 litre V8
Old 02-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road

Mine don't stick in the up position, but on the longest interval setting (I think) they hickup instead of sweep the glass, once, then sweep, then hickup, then sweep. Hiccup is a little 1/4 inch twitch. Like it wants to move, but teeth/gear slip. Dunno.

Dealer said "Its probably just frozen." wHen I went in for an oil change.

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 02-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

yat74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many people have had this problem, I have seen it on my rig too. Last winter it was a pain in the ass trying to drive 2 hours to go skiing in a blizzard. You can take this truck through some nasty terrain but it can't handle some cold temps and snow on the wipers that is BS. I can't believe that GM hasn't done anything about this. They replaced the jack and rear washer fluid pump for christ's sake; and the pump still blows chunks.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:37 AM
Lex_Ordo

Curious,
When were your trucks built?
Mine was manufactured in March 2006, and I don't seem to have this problem in any setting, although when I use the Washer setting on the rear, sometimes the wiper will begin upwardsw after it is supposed to stop. It gets stuck just a bit up from the bottom. Not s real iisue, as I just run the wiper for one cyle in 1 and it corrects itself back to the down stopped position.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

Interleukin is on a distinguished road

My H3 was built late April 2006 and my wipers skip a lot in bad rain, ice and snow. Even when I extensively clean the window and the wiper, I get behind an 18-wheeler on the interstate (or anyone for that matter) and easily have a 4 in x 3 in spot right in my line of sight where the wiper won't sweet. This is on the driver's and passemger's sides.

The SAINTS are coming!!!
Geaux LSU!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Lex_Ordo

Oh! I know what you're speaking of.
My wipers were acting that way too yesterday. It seemed like the blade wasn't grabbing that part of the windshield.
I just attributed it to the freezing ice pellets. Now I will have to watch a little better.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

Anyone know if there is a circuit breaker to reset or a fuable link to replace for the wiper motor? Otherwise I'm heading to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Hummer Professional

Scouts Out is an unknown quantity at this point

OK another stange situation, when i pull the washers to wash the windshield the wipers come on and do not go off until i stop the truck and turn it off. Now this is not every time but 3 of the past 7 times. Even when they do turn themselves off they sweep way more than they used to, like maybe 30 sweeps. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow.

Superior Blue, Adventure Package, Roof mounted off road lights, Auto, 6 Disk Monsoon with XM, Brush Guard, Tire Cover, Husky mud flaps, flat steps, black fuel door.

Other Cars.....

1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 litre V8
Old 02-16-2007, 03:27 AM
Hummer Novice

HummerHawk is on a distinguished road

I have a similar problem with mine. I tend to be finicky with the wipers, so i am my own intermittent setting.... i switch it on for the time i need em, then back off. Occossionaly, when I go to switch it on, the first setting, they won't turn on at all, they'll just twitch, and then sit there... If i turn it right off, then back on, they sweep across no problem. I guess that it's getting stuck in a different timer....

Also, snow really likes the wipers... it clogs up real quick on these... I believe it might be related to the flat windshield and not a strong enough spring pushing onto the window.... and if the windshield was at a stronger angle I believe it would solve the problem, but alas that's not something that can be fixed...
Old 02-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same thing happen. It was due to ice build-up in the cavities just below the wiper arm mounts. Once cleared, mine returned to normal function.

I have noticed that ice also builds up considerably just below the windshield and also on the roof....
Old 02-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

Well of course this morning at 6 am when I climbed into the H3 to go to the dealer the wipers started working after 2 days of nothing? Must be gremlins!

Since I didn't have an appointment, I didn't bother completing the trip to the dealer. I guess I'll see hoew they work over the course of the next few days.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Hummer Novice

champipple is on a distinguished road

not sure from your post if you have an icing problem or not. I had to make sure all ice was clear from the base of the wiper as it enters the housing. good luck