H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-12-2005, 05:29 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/pages/fi...e.aspx?id=4816

I dragged my wife and all the kids to Park Place to look at this beast. It only has 10K miles and the price seems reasonable. Even my wife was intrigued with the idea of trading in the H2 and buying the H1.

The hook? I explained to the wife that with the two optional bench seats in place, it becomes an eight seater (currently seats six). I had never seen or driven a H1 so my expectations were high.

A few surprises - No air bags, thin sheet metal in the doors with no crash barrier, retro-interior and cheap looking vinyl seats.

We both came away with mixed emotions. The H2 is so damn luxurious in comparison that we'd hate to lose those comforts? If I could afford it I would leave the H1 at my cabin to go wheeling but (I hate to admit it) I cringe every time I see you guys taking your $65K rigs and beat the crap out of them. The reality is, we bought both our H2’s because they are so damn cool, not necessarily to go wheeling with them. Likewise, if I get the H1 it would probably negotiate far more mall speed bumps than boulders.

Damn, if it were just a bit more “luxurious” inside with at least a couple airbags I’d be writing a check. Still undecided…
Attached Images

2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 06-12-2005, 05:29 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/pages/fi...e.aspx?id=4816

I dragged my wife and all the kids to Park Place to look at this beast. It only has 10K miles and the price seems reasonable. Even my wife was intrigued with the idea of trading in the H2 and buying the H1.

The hook? I explained to the wife that with the two optional bench seats in place, it becomes an eight seater (currently seats six). I had never seen or driven a H1 so my expectations were high.

A few surprises - No air bags, thin sheet metal in the doors with no crash barrier, retro-interior and cheap looking vinyl seats.

We both came away with mixed emotions. The H2 is so damn luxurious in comparison that we'd hate to lose those comforts? If I could afford it I would leave the H1 at my cabin to go wheeling but (I hate to admit it) I cringe every time I see you guys taking your $65K rigs and beat the crap out of them. The reality is, we bought both our H2’s because they are so damn cool, not necessarily to go wheeling with them. Likewise, if I get the H1 it would probably negotiate far more mall speed bumps than boulders.

Damn, if it were just a bit more “luxurious” inside with at least a couple airbags I’d be writing a check. Still undecided…
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 06-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Hummer Professional

Harley is off the scale

Nice rig. I drove my H2 for almost 2 years, wheeled (at least in Oklahoma, not Moab...) and took it to work. I loved it. However, I watched my soon to be H1 lanquish on the lot every time I went to the dealership. I even test drove it a couple of times. I finally called the dealership and traded trucks for the weekend. I went back and bought it on Monday. No, it doesn't have the "appointments" of the H2, but I wouldn't trade it for anything (except another H1) now.

I still have no ill feelings toward the H2, in fact I still love the looks of them on the streets and trails. It's a personal thing for me.

My advice would be to take it and drive it for a few days to help decide if that's what you REALLY want to do.

K
Old 06-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Banned

DRTYF? (the imposter) is off the scale

The H1 is great if you like farm tractors.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Hummer Professional

Harley is off the scale

That's a fairly inane response, H2gp... why do you say that?

K
Old 06-12-2005, 12:42 PM

4churchill is off the scale

Kacy, I wouldn't worry about the airbags, to my knowledge still no civilian on-road deaths in an H1. The main thing I have learned from working at the dealership is the H1 owneres live and die by their rigs, and love them. But I also have noticed I see these guys more then m y other customers b/c they are always here servicxing their trucks, and usually the trucks sit for a while waiting for parts. I still however see myself owning a H1 in the next couple of years. Kacy also look at it from your side. You already have bought and sold a H2 and are on #2, so worst case scenario if you decide on the H1 then get sour on it down the reoad, sell or trade it for H2 #3.

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 06-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2GuyPerson:
The H1 is great if you like farm tractors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A comment usually from someone who has never driven one. Looks are deceiving I assure you. I have done several long distance (1900, 1200, 800 miles) jaunts to events, off-roaded some pretty extreme trails, then drove home. I find the vehicle pretty damn comfortable, better than my old 3/4 ton Chev by far, and got better fuel mileage (14.4mpg).

The H2 has many more ammenities, that is what it was designed for, to appeal to a broader audience. I don't denigrate it for that, it just isn't the far edge, no compromise attitude that I like.

I love to wheel with H2's because it is a different animal, I like to watch them do things I didn't think they can do.

Dave
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 06-12-2005, 05:15 PM

ARH1956 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
They are very different vehicles in many respects. I had a H1 for three years and loved the H1 and driving it (although not on long journeys), but hated the maintenance and lack of reliability.

The sparse interior and agricultural feel to everything was part of the charm of the H1. I actually think the interior is getting too refined now and is losing some of it's appeal.

The H1 is truly like nothing else and the grin factor is exceptionally high.

I bought my H2 sight unseen and was shocked to find carpet and the like inside. I even wrote to GM and suggested that they do a real Adventure package with vinyl seats, no carpet, and drain plugs in the floor. I suspect I was/am in the minority.

The H2 is a mix of Hummer and Escalade. Far more comfortable, for more reliable, better in just about every respect (apart from off-road ability), yet the H1 is still something special and despite all it's failings, is a one of a kind experience worth enduring, for a while anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My experience is somewhat like yours. I had an H1, mine was a softtop & I always wanted more room. When the H2's arrived I drove them on several occasions until finally buying one. I kept the H1 for 6 months until I was certain the H2 would work out. I sold the H1 & never looked back. I must admit the Alpha-1 looks promising however.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Banned

DRTYF? (the imposter) is off the scale

Its just my opinion calm down people.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4CHURCHILL:
Kacy, I wouldn't worry about the airbags, to my knowledge still no civilian on-road deaths in an H1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 people. Husband and Wife in Maryland last year. No seat belts was the reason and so was the tractor trailer. I do not remember if it was the tractor trailer or the hummer driver who was at fault.

Also airbags are not all that they are cracked up to be. In the H1 the airbags would be more of a probably than a solution given where you sit in relation to the steering wheel. The H1 is my 4th vehicle (not including company cars) and the third one without an airbag.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:46 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2GuyPerson:
Its just my opinion calm down people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

H2guyperson here is my opinion. The H2 is extremely uncomfortable, too big, too high to step into and did I say uncomfortable.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kacyk:

Damn, if it were just a bit more “luxurious” inside with at least a couple airbags I’d be writing a check. Still undecided… </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really need to drive it to figure out if what you consider luxurious is what you think it is. What is a crash barrier?

And those seats are leather.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:36 PM

HMMWV is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 2 people. Husband and Wife in Maryland last year. No seat belts was the reason and so was the tractor trailer. I do not remember if it was the tractor trailer or the hummer driver who was at fault. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That HUMMER was hit by 2 semis though.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

Denny Crane is off the scale

I too am contemplating an H1 and would like other's thoughts on the difference in the latest 2004 and the Alpha. I'm considering a Soft Top and would purchase the 1st H2 Open Top if there ever is one.

The only thing that bothers me about the O.T. is lack of interior space, no place to haul multiple shotguns & related equip. to sporting events. Does anyone have similiar complaints that has owned an H1 O.T. ?

We have an 03 Lux Adv. w/ supercharger and related engine mods and am really impressed with it's functionality and manueverability both around town and mildly 4-wheelin to the Cabin.

The H1 will be my primary driver and i'm certain the few things I hate will die in time and it will grow on me over time. I've driven the Alpha and a 04 and really like the improvements but hate the interior colors, hate may be a little easy. I'll prefer a Pewter/Tan and will likely attempt to change the interior to Tan, feasibly possible or not.

My biggest concern on the H1 is resale, as the 04's are almost half off original sticker. Will the 06 continue on this path? I think that depends solely on the evolution of the H2. Seriously, even GM has reduced the production to 300 ? units / yr. I think it's only time before it's history, and yet another fear.
My .02

D
Old 06-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Unforetunately, the higher the original price of any vehicle, the fast it's value will drop. I did see a Slate Blue Alpha wagon today at the dealership and it looked great.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Hummer Expert

Slate Blue? Is that a custom color?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Just saw it pulling in. My dealer said it was a new alpha. I don't beleive it was custom.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Hummer Expert

The website doesn't show that they offer that color but then again we know how manufacturers name colors that do not even look like that color.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2HomoGheyPersonCheeseDick:
The H1 is great if you like farm tractors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a turdish thing to say. Don't you have some pretend bling bling wheels to go pretend clean?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2HomoGheyPersonCheeseDick:
Its just my opinion calm down people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Too bad your short term memory sucks or you'd remember what happened the last time you opened your usually man-meat filled mouth and let out an opinion.