H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Tucson Beast

Klaus & PhilD

You guys are amazing with electrical puzzels with the H2 - - - - -

PhilD - you introduced the "jump" that allowed the DRL to stay on in the evening with the head lights - I like this look and did it early on (January 03)for my H2.

Klaus - you solved my problem relating to my Pioneer Nav System. The mode that creates a daytime and nighttime screen would not work - Klaus you suggested by analysis, that it was the DRL "jump" - you were right.

Now the puzzel - how can we jump the DRL to stay on with correct operation of my Nav system? Is there another pathway to "jump" the DRLs - can they be wired into head lights for night and yet still stay on in the day?

What do you experts think - thanks

Tucson Beast

Klaus & PhilD

PhilD - you introduced the "jump" that allowed the DRL to stay on in the evening with the head lights - I like this look and did it early on (January 03)for my H2.

Klaus - you solved my problem relating to my Pioneer Nav System. The mode that creates a daytime and nighttime screen would not work - Klaus you suggested by analysis, that it was the DRL "jump" - you were right.

Now the puzzel - how can we jump the DRL to stay on with correct operation of my Nav system? Is there another pathway to "jump" the DRLs - can they be wired into head lights for night and yet still stay on in the day?

Tucson Beast

Klaus & PhilD

Old 05-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'll defer to Klaus and Phil but you should be able to "tap" into the positive on the headlight wiring harness.

You would have an always hot wire, that should be fused itself, coming from positive either on the post in the red box where you jump the H2 off or, to have a secondary fuse, on one of the posts in the fuse box that is beside the battery.

Run this positive to a relay and have the relay triggered by the positive at the headlight harness.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad you found the problem.

However, I think your plan is flawed. By jumping the DRL as you did, you were "back feeding" voltage to circuits (such as your dash lights) via a path that may not have the capacity nor the proper fusing to protect from an electrical overload - Which might cause a fire!

I have never been a fan of running the DRLs at night, as they were not designed for that purpose, and may blind oncoming traffic needlessly.

Now, having said all that...

It sounds like you used a plain wire to jump the DRL relay. The DRL MOD that has been posted here specifies a diode be used. Think of it as a one way valve for electricity. I believe the diode would prevent voltage from flowing from the DRL circuit back to the tail light circuit during the day when the DRL circuit is powered normally.

This has actually already been discussed in the thread below:

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=687600449 1&r=8006042891#8006042891