H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Hummer Guru

bparker is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I cant believe I paid 200 bucks for this after coming from the "C5 Corvette mod world" as you get alot more "physical product" for your money.

This "system" is a few peices of metal and a rubber gasket and basically a 20.00 K&N air filter.

Install was easy enough that a retarded drunk monkey could do it in less than 10 mins.

Results are mixed: I do notice that the system has recognized a major airflow chage because its not down shifting at WOT like it was before. And, these new PCMs take up to 500 miles before they adapt to the new air meter map readings the sensor is picking up. So we will realy have to wait before I place my final judgement.

Sound: I do now notice that the engine is making A LOT more noise when i gas it. The engine bay is can now be heard over the radio when turned up (LOL) and again makes me think some power will be netted from the install once the computer learns the new airflow raito and places the paramerters in the long term tables in the computer.

I thought I would notice more "initial" pedal response however its quite the oposite, as its more slugish now right into the throttle. But again I think this is due to the PCM needs to relearn and adjust.

I wish I had AutoTap so I could have taken some before and after readings to see whats going on now as in too rich or too lean etc..

Anyways here are some pics to eyeball over: clicky
Old 06-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Hummer Guru

Well I cant believe I paid 200 bucks for this after coming from the "C5 Corvette mod world" as you get alot more "physical product" for your money.

This "system" is a few peices of metal and a rubber gasket and basically a 20.00 K&N air filter.

Install was easy enough that a retarded drunk monkey could do it in less than 10 mins.

Results are mixed: I do notice that the system has recognized a major airflow chage because its not down shifting at WOT like it was before. And, these new PCMs take up to 500 miles before they adapt to the new air meter map readings the sensor is picking up. So we will realy have to wait before I place my final judgement.

Sound: I do now notice that the engine is making A LOT more noise when i gas it. The engine bay is can now be heard over the radio when turned up (LOL) and again makes me think some power will be netted from the install once the computer learns the new airflow raito and places the paramerters in the long term tables in the computer.

I thought I would notice more "initial" pedal response however its quite the oposite, as its more slugish now right into the throttle. But again I think this is due to the PCM needs to relearn and adjust.

I wish I had AutoTap so I could have taken some before and after readings to see whats going on now as in too rich or too lean etc..

Anyways here are some pics to eyeball over: clicky
Old 06-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">few peices of metal and a rubber gasket and basically a 20.00 K&N air filter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This "system" is a few peices of metal and a rubber gasket and basically a 20.00 K&N air filter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really is!! I think the SMA system includes the complete air filter box.. not sure though, but the one that you got looks kinda cheap... I hope it really works as they claim.. good luck! and thanks a lot for the review!
Old 06-18-2005, 01:18 AM
Hummer Guru

Well, I went back out and took the airraid bracket system off.
I did leave the airraid filter in and but the stock cover on
Then went for a drive and I am really impressed with the noticeable performace gains felt by the seat of the pants.
I have no idea how much but it really felt more responsive.

/shrug
Old 06-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bparker:
Well, I went back out and took the airraid bracket system off.
I did leave the airraid filter in and but the stock cover on
Then went for a drive and I am really impressed with the noticeable performace gains felt by the seat of the pants.
I have no idea how much but it really felt more responsive.

/shrug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So... are you basically saying that the only part that you left there was the K&N air filter? I went out to take a look at the stock air filter system and I could't understand what the airraid bracket system does... I actually thought of buying the K&N filter and just replace the stock filter, do you think that would work bparker?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:02 AM
Hummer Guru

Yep, and thats the way I will leave it too. I am happy with just the K&N filter for now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So... are you basically saying that the only part that you left there was the K&N air filter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bparker:
Yep, and thats the way I will leave it too. I am happy with just the K&N filter for now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So... are you basically saying that the only part that you left there was the K&N air filter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you please let me know the part number or model of the K&N filter that you received with the package?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeLeon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">few peices of metal and a rubber gasket and basically a 20.00 K&N air filter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This "system" is a few peices of metal and a rubber gasket and basically a 20.00 K&N air filter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really is!! I think the SMA system includes the complete air filter box.. not sure though, but the one that you got looks kinda cheap... I hope it really works as they claim.. good luck! and thanks a lot for the review! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no the SMA does not include air box mine is from SMA and it looks just like airraid.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Hummer Expert

Anyways here are some pics to eyeball over: clicky </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Listen parker you are not alone I feel your pain.Except mine is worse cause I paid $329 for same thing you have and mine was from SMA.Sounds like I am going to be stuck with $329 air filter oh well we live and learn.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeLeon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So... are you basically saying that the only part that you left there was the K&N air filter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same what model was that? i just took the top off my airbox and it sounds good that way too!
Can you please let me know the part number or model of the K&N filter that you received with the package? that little lip it has basically looks like it keeps the heat out, but who cares :P it looks cool tho!
Old 06-18-2005, 03:01 PM

H3 Buyer to be? is off the scale

YAH Guys what is the model # of the K & N filter? SAVE ME THE $250!!!
Old 06-18-2005, 03:18 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

this look like it?
Old 06-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Hummer Guru

Just buy a K&N airfilter for a Colorado or Canyon.

Link to K&N's Website
Old 06-18-2005, 03:38 PM

I figured that would work... I snagged that one for $40.00 they are $55 in the stores...
Old 06-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Hummer Expert

I have also replaced stock air filter with the K&N one that came with the intake.I have put the stock air cover back on and have noticed a bigger difference this way.I know it sounds strange but it does feel a littel more peppy.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3 Buyer to be?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

this look like it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The filter in the auction looks a lot different to the one that is included with the "air system"... I want to get one like the one below... does anyone know how I should ask for it?

bparker: there is no part number in the filter that you installed?
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Sma is the Air-raid and yes it is not much. a chip mod will help even more but I would wait for someone to perfect it first. Watch for a waring light if the mass air flow sensor is tweeked. It sometimes happens..
Old 06-23-2005, 12:46 AM

The one I bought was a perfect match. The picture is not the picture of the one they sent me. It must just be the stock pic they use. The one I bought was the same size on top and bottom. The install was about 29 seconds, and funny the stock one was barely hangin on, not tied down at all... Oh well, here is the pic of the part number, and box. I paid $39.95 and $6.00 to ship it and it was here in 2 days from Cali. The link to the auction is above, i am sure they have more...
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2005, 12:50 AM

Oh, and by the way, thank you guys that bought the Airaid and SMA, if you would not have posted here I would have spent the same amount as you guys.

I thank you again!

Paul
Old 06-23-2005, 08:29 AM

firm is off the scale

Can you give us the website that you bought your filter from?