H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-26-2005, 03:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale

Hello guys, I finally did it and brought home my H2 today. The GMS deal got the price to the lowest level I've seen so I jumped in and made the committment . . . and I think my wife may be speaking to me by Thanksgiving now. Anyway, I have a couple of questions for you experienced owners.
1. My owners manual makes no mention of an engine break in and the salesman says these new technology in the engines don't require it. Do you guys agree?

2. I need some side steps, round chrome with the black steps is what I have in mind for this solid black SUV. Who is the best source? H2 Source??

3. I think I want a locking gas cap cover to keep the FUH2 crowd outta my tank. Any advice on those?

I've been waiting two years for this and I love my new H2. Now, to get offroad and really enjoy it.
David
Old 06-26-2005, 03:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale

Hello guys, I finally did it and brought home my H2 today. The GMS deal got the price to the lowest level I've seen so I jumped in and made the committment . . . and I think my wife may be speaking to me by Thanksgiving now. Anyway, I have a couple of questions for you experienced owners.
1. My owners manual makes no mention of an engine break in and the salesman says these new technology in the engines don't require it. Do you guys agree?

2. I need some side steps, round chrome with the black steps is what I have in mind for this solid black SUV. Who is the best source? H2 Source??

3. I think I want a locking gas cap cover to keep the FUH2 crowd outta my tank. Any advice on those?

I've been waiting two years for this and I love my new H2. Now, to get offroad and really enjoy it.
David
Old 06-26-2005, 04:01 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrG:
Hello guys, I finally did and brought home my H2 today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I finally did and brought home my H2... WTH Before you finally did and brought it home did were you a fixin' to did bring it home?

Sorry, it's my job.

Welcome.

Check here for the latest info on locking gas caps:
http://www.stant.com/index.cfm?location_id=170

Screw the chrome steps. Get the removable U-steps. You'll thank me later.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
I finally did and brought home my H2... WTH Before you finally did and brought it home did were you a fixin' to did bring it home?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I suppose I was a fixin' to do dat. OK, so I can't type. But, for a Deity, you weren't too hard on me.
I was thinking of a chrome or black cover over the gas cap but you have suggested a locking cap instead. Do I understand "his deitiness" correctly??
I had considered the removeable U-steps too. I assume the point of being removeable is for off-roading. Correct?? Are they secure on the vehicle? Personally, I'm 6'5" and I don't need any steps but the wify is going to have to have some assistance. You know, those U-steps don't look near as cool as the chrome ones do and with 8 bolts (I think), they are removeable too. So where do I get the U-Steps? Thanks for the help!
DrG
Old 06-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

Welcome to the forum. You'll find that a large number of the members are true experts (I am not one of them).

I have the type of locking gas cap Drty posted you to. I got it from the dealer and it works great.

I have a 2005 H2 and it definitely came with an engine break-in instruction. I believe it said that during the first 500 miles (a) you should not exceed 50 miles per hour, (b) no full-throttle acceleration, and (c) don't drive at the same speed for an extended period of time.

Best regards,

George SSSS
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 06-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrG:
I was thinking of a chrome or black cover over the gas cap but you have suggested a locking cap instead.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a locking fuel door as an alternative. Both work equally well, the main difference is price and aesthetics. The cap is mucho cheaper and keeps the truck more stock/less bling. I have the Stant locking cap as well and have had no problems.

Stacy
Old 06-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Hummer Professional

CBR_Raven is off the scale

Welcome DrG and congrats on the new H2.

2018 Polaris GEM e4
2022 Can-Am Maverick X3 XRS Turbo RR
2024 Rivian R1S Adventure
2024 GMC Sierra AT4X HD
2024 GMC Hummer EV 2X SUV
Old 06-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by DrG:
...and I think my wife may be speaking to me by Thanksgiving now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>When she opens that trap again, tell her to make dinner. Welcome to the forum. (grumble, grumble, damn texans everywhere... grumble, grumble)
Old 06-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
(grumble, grumble, damn texans everywhere... grumble, grumble) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Next thing you know, we gonna get Hummer video with country music in the background..

Uh, welcome DrG!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Hi DrG
Hummer has a break in. But, on every vehicle I have owned and every engine I have ever built My philsophy is break in the engine like Your going to drive it. In my case it is foot on accelerator pushed through floor. I wrote the man a check jumped in it and drove it to Dallas and back at about 80 MPH. But I did follow one rule but not by choice. I did fluctuate the speed some but, only because of all the people who were peddling their rides down the freeway.
Oh and I have never lost an engine and have gotten some tremedous amount of useful miles.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 06-27-2005, 12:35 AM

oma is off the scale

Removable steps are best. They are very nice and I have never had any problems with them. They fasten securely.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Hummer Professional

LoLo is off the scale

Welcome from a fellow Texan!

Yep, Ken... looks like y'all are being overrun by us hicks from the sticks!

As to the locking gas cap... I am favoring the one at H2source.

Your wife will talk to you by Thanksgiving -- guaranteed -- if you buy her an H2 of her own! Although, if she is REALLY ticked, it may be through a mediator or divorce attorney!

Enjoy!

05 Desert Sand H2 Adv
Old 06-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I think the manual said to not travel in excess of 20 mph for the first 500 miles. Isn't that correct?

'03 H2
Old 06-27-2005, 04:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GeorgeSSSS:
Welcome to the forum. You'll find that a large number of the members are true experts (I am not one of them). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I understand. I have been reading this forum off and on for over a year and can easily see the depth of knowledge here . . . that is when they are not hammering each other for some off-the-wall comment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have the type of locking gas cap Drty posted you to. I got it from the dealer and it works great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK, I was really thinking of the cover but maybe this would be a better deal. I suspect it is cheaper too. Can you have it keyed to match your door key?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a 2005 H2 and it definitely came with an engine break-in instruction. I believe it said that during the first 500 miles (a) you should not exceed 50 miles per hour, (b) no full-throttle acceleration, and (c) don't drive at the same speed for an extended period of time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly, those are the standard instructions that I have used to break-in a new engine for years. Where in the book did you see that? I have looked and can't find it. My salesman said the same thing another member here has said and that is "Just drive it!!"
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Best regards, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And to you also. We must have matching trucks, black, SUV, Adventure, Nav system, XM radio, black grill and brush guard.
David
Old 06-27-2005, 04:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CBR_Raven:
Welcome DrG and congrats on the new H2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thank you CBR. The credit union said I could drive it as long as I make the payments.
David
Old 06-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2Blondie is off the scale

Howdy! Glad to have another Texan on the board.

I guess being 6'5" you have found out that these were not made for tall people. I can't tell you how many times I hit my head on the top of the door frame getting in and out. Finally, I think I have that part figured out. (Yes guys, it probably is a blonde thing. )

Great truck! Good luck getting the wife in it.

Money may not buy happiness, but it makes a nice down payment!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

Pinhead is off the scale

New tech or not still a new engine has not been run in. Easy for the first 1000 miles then, change the oil then, your ready to let it loose.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Hummer Professional

LoLo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Blondie:
Howdy! Glad to have another Texan on the board. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he is ashamed he put Texas on his siggy... he is ignoring us! (In case you didn't notice -- seeing as you ARE blonde!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Blondie:
I guess being 6'5" you have found out that these were not made for tall people. I can't tell you how many times I hit my head on the top of the door frame getting in and out. Finally, I think I have that part figured out. (Yes guys, it probably is a blonde thing. )

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, guys... she isn't 6'5" -- just wanted to clear that up now!

05 Desert Sand H2 Adv
Old 06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2Blondie is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Finally:
Next thing you know, we gonna get Hummer video with country music in the background.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the problem with that would be?

Money may not buy happiness, but it makes a nice down payment!
Old 06-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote]Originally posted by H2Finally:
Next thing you know, we gonna get Hummer video with country music in the background.. [quote]

And the problem with that would be? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll cause an epidemic of incestuous pregnancies.