H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Hummer Novice

ken.j is on a distinguished road
Default largest tires for 2008 H2

I have just got my 08 H2 and would like to modify, starting with wheels/tires.
It has stock 20" with 305's and would appreciate knowing how wide and tall I could go on these stock rims without rubbing issues or sacraficing ride quality or as I do a lot of highway driving. Also if I ditch the fatory rims and tires again what is the widest and tallest configuration available. I want the truck to maintain its agressive look so don't want the wagon wheel no rubber rapper look - prefer to stick with 18-20" rims. Would appreciate any and all suggestions including rim/tire brands, site links or pics of other forum members rigs.

Thanks

Ken.J
Old 02-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: largest tires for 2008 H2

My first H2 had a lift but I've seen guys running 37's for height and 12.5-13.5 for width.

You may need to crank up the torsion bars a hair to keep them without rubbing. I'm sure there are guys that have installed them with no problems but as you know, no two vehicles are the exact same.

Having said that.... I'm on my second H2 and I only installed 35's.

The reason I mention that is because the last time I installed 38's and the truck was gutless on the highway. I had to install 4.56 gears to make it decent. Even at that, it still sucked and I had to install a supercharger.

Each time you make a mod, it costs you even more gas mileage.

This time I installed the 35's. They look good and the difference in performance is minute.

Just a suggestion.

Mark
Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Knass34 is on a distinguished road

Hey there.

As recommended by some helpfull members here, I've put 325x60x20 on my H2 and in my opinion, I made the right choice. The tires measure in at 35.5 inches, they're taller/wider than stock and ride quality was not altered at all. Zero rubbing issues. They are BFGoodrich A/T T/A KO tires. same model as stock but larger size.
Something I hadn't realized as well was that the treads were spaced differently than my stock tires. Looks much more aggressive and performed superbly in mud and snow. My rims are one off, Off-Road 20 inch black powder coated with chrome center caps and silver powder coated outer rim lining.. To my surprise, went really well with the chrome center caps. I'll see in the next day or so to post pics so you can see.

Cheers
Old 02-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

L2C is on a distinguished road

I am running toyo 37" on 22". Rubs when u turn right or left all the way. Rides nice though.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Hummer Novice

ken.j is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: largest tires for 2008 H2 update

Appreciate the suggestions.
By way of an update, I fitted 325/60/20 Nitto Terra Grabbers on my stock rims ( I could n't find better looking or made rims locally) to my H2 and had some rubbing isssues on right hand turn ( not even at full lock), but at speeds over 55MPh, a drone kicked in which you couldn't tune out.
As most of our driving is highway, I went back to the tire shop who have a 30day no quibble guarantee and mentioned the drone. Apparently they have had other drone issues and swapped back my stock rims without fuss - nice guys to deal with.
I liked the look of the grabbers as although only one inch wider that stock (305/60/20 Goodyears) the tread area was wider and gave the truck a more aggressive look.
I still want to fit wider rims ( with correct backspacing to push the tire out and not back) and wider/taller tires ideally without lifting but cannot live with the drone on a daily basis with highway driving.
Maybe I am looking for the impossible but would still apreciate suggestions from any members who have succeeded here.