H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Hummer Novice

ChrisGTA is on a distinguished road
Default First post, 35" or 37" tires?

Hello all, this is my first post and I just purchased a used Stealth gray 05 SUT.
I am going to have to replace the worn out BFG's and am planning on going either 35x12.50R20 or up to 37x12.50R20 ProComp Xtreem MT's. Are there any negatives with going up to the larger size such as a noticeable loss in power, brake issues or a major loss of fuel mileage.
I will be towing a 5000lb RV couple of times a month also.

Also, does anyone know of an extension for the reciver hitch? My spare tire prevents me from hooking up to my trailer without removeing it.

This truck has the lux package and I am planning to remove all the chrome items from the outside and change over to black or black chrome and then do carbon fiber on the inside. Also I have been searching without success for a company that makes wheels and exterior accessories in black chrome. If anyone knows where these items can be purchased please let me know.

thanks.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First post, 35" or 37" tires?

Since you plan to tow, stick with the 35's and maybe go 18's for a little extra sidewall... esp. if you ever plan to venture off the road.

Otherwise 20's and 37's would look great...just not sure on towing with those larger tires.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 AM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First post, 35" or 37" tires?

I tend to try and keep things simple, yet effective. Follow Tim's wheel tire advice...

I wouldn't plan on towing with 37s without upgrading to at least slotted rotors and a gear change. You will also want to crank up torsion bars and add the Cognito Pitman and idler arm kit to keep from rubbing and wandering on the road.

The slotted (not drilled) will help keep brakes cool and prevent hazing under load. You could add performance brake pads later if you feel you need them.

Hopefully you aleady have a weight distributing hitch and trailer brakes for your RV, so all you will need is a longer shank with adjustable drop. Try looking at these shanks by Reese: http://www.towpowerbyreese.com/

Do not jump on board the performance enhancement bandwagon if you do much towing. Most will cost you low end torque performance. What I would suggest (I hardly ever do this) is to leave everything stock and add a helix power tower throttle body spacer to bump up the low end torque.

Exhaust and air intake upgrades will cost you low end torque.

Only other thing I would suggest is a hand held programmer which will give you the speedo adjustability for tire size changes and top end performance to climb hills without sacrificing low end. It will also give you some shift point control.