H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Hummer Professional

H2Much is on a distinguished road
Angry Battery Dying

So, Not too long after I got my H2, I had an aftermarket deck put in. Ever since this, I have had issues with my battery getting drained, and dying. The weird thing, it is happening over night, meaning when I go to unlock it and start it in the morning, it is dead. My other friend did the same thing to his, and has the same problem. Anyone have an idea on a fix? Getting sick of jumpstarting my Hummer, so embarrassing...
Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Hummer Expert

splne1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battery Dying

I installed a new deck in mine. If you do not use the specific BOSE/ONSTAR wiring harness it is a night mare!! This might be an issue if it has the wrong wiring harness and its obviously drawing current even when the car is off. If you do have the specific harness ($130) then try checking your wiring again and make sure your not using the direct battery wire for power use the ignition/accesory one its usually yellow instead of red.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Hummer Professional

Thanks for the info, I will look into this and see if that might be the problem. The deck that was installed was an Alpine mulitmedia system, and they had to install an aftermarket databus sytem too. Would they still be able to use the Bose harness for that?
Sweet looking H2 with not enough mods (2003 Pewter H2, 20" Rockstars, 40"x15.5" Toyo MT's, E&G Extended Flares, Full body tube steel exoskeleton, 5" Skyjacker lift, Amp Research steps, Gobi Roofrack and ladders, Smoked LED's, AFe CAI, Dynatech long tubes and cats, Magnaflow exhaust, Stock tune, 4.88 gears, Chrome Grenade Shifter, interior blacked out, rear captains chairs, Solar Power!!)
Old 09-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Hummer Expert

Yes this harness has to be used in order to avoid losing the Chime alarm and allowing the on star system to continue to work. I found my harness on ebay but like I said those little suckers are not cheap. If they didn't use the harness and spliced into factory wiring that spells big doodoo!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 AM
Hummer Professional

Thanks for the info, I will run this by my stereo people, see what they have to say.
Sweet looking H2 with not enough mods (2003 Pewter H2, 20" Rockstars, 40"x15.5" Toyo MT's, E&G Extended Flares, Full body tube steel exoskeleton, 5" Skyjacker lift, Amp Research steps, Gobi Roofrack and ladders, Smoked LED's, AFe CAI, Dynatech long tubes and cats, Magnaflow exhaust, Stock tune, 4.88 gears, Chrome Grenade Shifter, interior blacked out, rear captains chairs, Solar Power!!)
Old 09-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Hummer Expert

http://cgi.ebay.com/Y91-Bose-Onstar-...2em118Q2el1247

this is the one with the premium bose, just look in your glove box for the Y91 sequence in the label and if you see Y91 anywhere you have premium other wise you need this harness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONSTA...spagenameZWD1V
Old 10-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

agood1 is on a distinguished road

Are you using the Metra GMOS-04 interface? There are lots of problems with this interface draining the battery, read the reviews of it on amazon.com.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Hummer Professional

Actually, the problem was that the Bose amp was not turning off after the vehicle was shut off, so it continued to draw amps at a rate that would kill the battery over 2 days at max charge. The fix? Well, since I have my system amped by aftermarket amps, I just pulled the fuse on the power to the bose amp, and unplugged the bose amp. On Star still works, and I have no more battery problems!! Stupid bose amp, what a waste of GM's factory time with that set up...
Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

How did you trace it? I am also having a power drain, but my system is totally stock, so maybe it is my Bose amp. Where is it and how could you tell that was the culprit?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Hummer Professional

I had my electronic guy (stereo shop) go through and connect a voltage meter to each wire drawing current from the battery while the car was off. He had to go through and touch each wire to see which ones were drawing what on current. The Bose amp was drawing more than the others by a long shot, and it wasn't shutting off when the car was turned off. There are going to be certain things that will draw current no matter what, but not enough amps to kill the battery quickly. Take for example, Viper alarm system. It will draw current when the car is off, but it is ony like .01 amp or something like that. The Bose amp was drawing around 2 amps consistently, which was a problem. If you are running your stereo through the Bose amp, you can't unplug it, as it will shut off the tunes. If you are running around it with your own amps, then you should be fine to unplug it.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

I am still using my bose amp....so I can't shut it off. I can test it myself, but it would make it easier if I knew where it was. Do you know?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Much
I had my electronic guy (stereo shop) go through and connect a voltage meter to each wire drawing current from the battery while the car was off. He had to go through and touch each wire to see which ones were drawing what on current. The Bose amp was drawing more than the others by a long shot, and it wasn't shutting off when the car was turned off. There are going to be certain things that will draw current no matter what, but not enough amps to kill the battery quickly. Take for example, Viper alarm system. It will draw current when the car is off, but it is ony like .01 amp or something like that. The Bose amp was drawing around 2 amps consistently, which was a problem. If you are running your stereo through the Bose amp, you can't unplug it, as it will shut off the tunes. If you are running around it with your own amps, then you should be fine to unplug it.

Here's a method that works and anyone can do it! Dissconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Stick a test light between the ground terminal lead and the battery ground. If there's a current draw, the light will light up. Start with the thing you know, i.e., radio, security, etc., and pop the fuses. If it's still lit, continue popping fuses until it goes off. It's a simple way to find a complete circuit. From there, you'll be able to see how man amps it's drawing.

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

I would still like to know where the bose amp is.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Under the center console towards the back
Old 10-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

Do I have to take the console out or can I get to it by taking out the bucket under the armrest?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:51 AM
Hummer Authority

If you take out the bucket under the armrest, remove the shifter handle with a t-15torx bit, remove the cupholders by prying it out, dont lose the clips, then there are 5 10mm head bolts you remove and the console is free other than wiring. but ya, the console needs to move to gain access
Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Hummer Professional

CBR_Raven is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Much
Actually, the problem was that the Bose amp was not turning off after the vehicle was shut off, so it continued to draw amps at a rate that would kill the battery over 2 days at max charge. The fix? Well, since I have my system amped by aftermarket amps, I just pulled the fuse on the power to the bose amp, and unplugged the bose amp. On Star still works, and I have no more battery problems!! Stupid bose amp, what a waste of GM's factory time with that set up...

where is the fuse located for the bose amp? i have aftermarket amps and have no use for the bose amp.

2018 Polaris GEM e4
2022 Can-Am Maverick X3 XRS Turbo RR
2024 Rivian R1S Adventure
2024 GMC Sierra AT4X HD
2024 GMC Hummer EV 2X SUV
Old 11-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Hummer Authority

I think it is in the underhood fuse box