Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 04-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for 4 4" speakers, sub, and headunit. What brand?

I know nothing about car audio. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

So in looking for speakers to replace those in the H1, I don't even know where to begin. Here's what my uneducated thoughts are:

1. Look for speakers with high watt capability. The ones in there are 45W, so I should probably find something similar.

2. Boston Acoustics, Inifinity, Alpine, Pinoneer--All good names.

3. If I get a suffciently nice headunit, I won't need to buy any amps (and save myself a couple bucks).

Any corrections for advice? I've been looking at Memphis Audio as well, but not really sure about them.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Hummer Authority

Default Re: Looking for 4 4" speakers, sub, and headunit. What brand?

Bump.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Hummer Guru

BlueTJCO has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If you are running the speakers off of the head unit, then I would suggest either Polk Audio or the Infinity REFERENCE series speakers. Both sound great on almost any system as long as you are just pushing them with the head unit and not an amp.

Now, if you are pushing these speakers with any type of amp, I would say look into the Infinity Kappa series or the Bouston Acoustics or even some of the JL Audio equipment. The Infinity Kappa series speakers sound really really good!

I have run Infinity Reference speakers in all the cars I've had and built up the system. Running purely off of the power of the deck, these speakers will be hard to beat no matter what the vehicle is. They sound great for not being a high end speaker. Also, I have been running infinity reference in my heep for over three years now, and with all of the water, mud, and snow that has hit them........they still sound great!

Pioneer and Kenwood........not for speakers. I like some of the decks they make (mosfet internal amps are nice because they rarely overheat under heavy load) but the speakers............

Get a good head unit, run the infinity reference series speakers, and you will be very happy. Or look at some of the polk audio stuff. They are also good sounding without an amp. Then if you need a little more bass, just add a JL Audio W-1 10inch sub........you will be golden........

Last edited by BlueTJCO : 04-19-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Hummer Guru

Alpine high end stuff is nice, the low end stuff is ****. Same with almost all car audio equipment I suppose............

Clarion Audio has some really nice decks in my opinion. My first choice on decks.
Alpine and Kenwood both have some really nice decks also. But there are so many to choose from make sure you pay attention and dont buy the bottom line crap...........

Pioneer Decks are nice if your going to really be "pumping" your music as the mosfet internal amp does not overheat as quick.

Sony makes loud equipment but the sound quality lacks.........Kicker speaker are the same. Very loud, not very good sounding.

JL Audio (if you can find any local) is GREAT all the way around. They have AWESOME STUFF!

Last edited by BlueTJCO : 04-19-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Hummer Guru

Entertainment delivered like never before

Clarion understands the needs of mobile entertainment enthusiasts is ever changing. To keep up with the needs of our customers we introduce the VRX375USB. This 1-DIN offers feature like 2-Zone entertainment, iPod control and a USB port for the ultimate in in-dash performance. Integrate the VRX375USB into your car with our OEM Steering Wheel control input or add a rear-view camera to make navigating parking lots easier and safer than ever. The VRX375USB puts multimedia and convenience where you?d never expect it.

• DVD?R/DVD?RW ready
  • CD-R/RW ready
  • MP3, WMA and iTunes? AAC (only USB) Compatible with ID3-TAG display
  • Official DivX? Certified product
  • Plays all versions of DivX? video (including DivX? 6) with standard playback of DivX? media files
  • Rear USB connector
  • 18 FM/12 AM presets
  • iPod direct connection and control
  • Shock proof memory
  • 24-bit D/A converter
  • Subwoofer volume control
  • 2-Zone entertainment: Front and Rear separate source control
  • Z-Enhancer Plus sound customization
  • 2-band parametric equalizer
  • MAGNA BASS EX dynamic bass enhancement
  • Built-in LPF/HPF
  • Built-in amplifier canceller
  • 50W?4 Built-in MOS-FET Amplifier
  • Motorized sloping control panel with 3.5-inch TFT color LCD monitor
  • Adjustable display brightness
  • A/V Input with Level Control
  • 6 ch RCA Output
  • OEM Steering Wheel Remote Ready
  • Bluetooth Interface Ready (Optional BLT370)
  • Detouchable control panel
USB Equipped

LargeView

Connectivity means being able to connect what you want, when you want to whatever you want. Clarion knows connectivity and so does the VRX375USB. We?ve equipped the VRX375USB with a USB connector for easy access to your music collection, Bluetooth compatibility via the BLT370, an OEM Steering Wheel control interface input and a rear view camera input. Combine this with MP3/WMA and iTunes? AAC file format decoding, iPod audio and video connectivity and 2-Zone entertainment Clarion offers everything you ever wanted.
DivX, DivX Certified, and associated logos are trademarks of DivX, Inc. and are used under license.

1-DIN LC Display

Clear, dynamic and vivid -- the new 3.5? widescreen TFT display on the motorized control panel of the VRX375USB offers performance in a package that?s almost unheard of. No matter the vehicle, no matter the limitations of your car, Clarion?s got your in-dash video needs covered.

DVD Media Storage

The VRX375USB is compatible with DVD on DVD?R/ DVD?RW media formats. You can also burn up to 3,000 of MP3 or WMA files on a DVD for hundreds of hours of your favorite music.

Meria Playback

Plug in a USB key for access to more than 15,000 MP3, WMA or iTune? AAC files. That?s enough to take your entire music collection with you. The VRX375USB will also display ID3 tag information, giving you album, artist and track information on the high-resolution touch screen.

Digital Media

Digitally compressed music is a way of life and more and more people store their entire music collection on their PC. Now, with MP3 and WMA music file playback from CD-R/W and DVD?R/ DVD?RW media, you can have all your music with you all the time.

Made for iPod

The iPod has revolutionized the portable media industry like nothing before it. Clarion?s dedication to integration with the iPod is unsurpassed. The VRX375USB features iPod audio control and iPod Video playback with an intuitive touch screen interface.
* CCA691 ?iPod connecting cable for music and video playback? is required.

2-Zone Entertainment

Keep everyone entertained -- with 2-Zone entertainment, you can enjoy your favorite radio station while your rear seat passengers enjoy a DVD movie via any of Clarion?s fine rear seat entertainment products.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Hummer Guru

LargeView

The most unique and advanced Human Machine Interface ever

FB275BT is the ultimate harmony of function and design. Their looks are not only highly stylized, but designed to make them easier to use. They are at the same time raw and natural while being elegant and state of the art. Clarion breaks down all the barriers with advanced HMI designs.

SD slot
  • SD slot
  • MP3 Compatible with ID3-TAG display
  • Built-in Bluetooth interface
  • 18 FM Presets
  • 50W ? 4 Built-in Amplifier
  • Flip-down control panel
  • 728-variable color Illuminated design
  • RCA Auxiliary Input
  • 2ch/2V RCA Output
  • External Microphone included
  • Bluetooth : Headset plofile (HSP), Advanced Audio Distribution Profile(A2DP), Audio Video Remote Control Profile(AVRCP)
Immerse your senses in sound

From the solid look and feel of the edge-lit control panel to the simplicity of the central volume control - the FB275BT breaks all previous source unit stereotypes.
Clarion?s advanced HMI design launches a new era in mobile source units with FB275BT.

Intuitive Design

FB275BT is like no other source unit - with its intuitive HMI designs that minimizes the number of buttons while maximizing functionality. Each button is large and easy to use, while at the same time appearing to not exist at all.

Connectivity

The next evolution in mobile audio - no moving parts. FB275BT features a SD card slot behind the folding control panel. Simply copy your favorite songs from your PC to an SD card, and you are ready to go with hours of music. You can also connect your Bluetooth? enabled cellular phone, PDA or iPod (with the Clarion DGL370 Bluetooth audio transmitter and Cradle for iPod BC001N/002M/003V) for even more music choices. The revolution is here and its name is FB275BT.

Cutting Edge Style

Indirect lighting on the FB275BT makes each of the arched buttons appear to float, adding to the mystique of the Metal Shark design. A mirror finish surrounds the bottom half of the illuminated rotary volume control.

Advanced functions such as hands-free calling and enhanced media links are combined.

The built-in Bluetooth receiver allows you to enjoy hands-free calling with a mobile phone using the 3.5-mm connector for commercially available microphones. Furthermore, a builtin SD slot makes playing music from outside sources easy, and an ID3-TAG Display allowing for simple manipulation of compressed formats such as MP3 is employed. In addition, the 728-Variable Color Illuminated keys provide brilliant illumination for your interface.

Unique Concept

From the theoretical stage to the drawing board and on to final production - the concept of the FB275BT was to encompass sleek, bold styling. Finished in white acrylic, the four curved buttons on each side of the central rotary volume control mimic the gills of the Master of the Sea. Bold, brazen and beautiful at the same time - this is the Metal Shark concept.

CEA 2006 Power Ratings
21W ? 4RMS [4Ω@14.4V ≤1% THD+N]
S/N 87dB (Ref:1W
Old 04-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Hummer Guru

Infinity Reference 4 inch

[Larger View]
REF4012I
4" two-way loudspeaker
4" two-way loudspeaker with Plus One woofer cone and edge-driven silk dome tweeter.

? Plus One woofer cones - This patent pending technology deliver a cone with more surface area than competing models of the same size. The result is increased bass output and higher efficiency. ? Edge-driven silk dome tweeters - These are not commonly used W-domes, but fully edge driven domes like those found in fine home audio loudspeakers. This much larger voice coil increases power handling and provides better sonic integration with the mid-woofer.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Hummer Guru

FOR YOUR SUB.........there is no question if you are looking for SOUND QUALITY.....

JL Audio W-1

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/index.php

W1v2: Technologies
W1v2 Subwoofer Drivers
The all-new W1v2?s are poised to establish a new standard for affordable bass excellence thanks to technologies originally developed for our flagship W7 and W6v2 subwoofers.

These include JL Audio?s patented VRC?, Elevated Frame-Cooling and Floating Cone Attach Method? technologies, along with an innovative, insert-molded spider assembly with integral push-terminals and special strain-relief features.

As with JL Audio?s flagship drivers, development was guided by JL Audio?s proprietary DMA modeling system to deliver outstanding dynamic stability and low-distortion operation within their intended power envelope. Optimized for compact enclosures and moderate power levels, and specifically engineered to reduce mounting depth, the W1v2's open up a whole new range of application options.

An injection-molded, metallic-finish polypropylene cone with an embossed metallic JL Audio logo provides a classy new look, while a removable (and customizable) mounting flange trim ring receives grille-mesh inserts directly, without the need for additional grille hardware. (Grille mesh inserts are sold separately.)
Available Models:
10W1v2
12W1v2
13W1v2

DMA Optimized Motor System
Highly optimized motor system delivers linear motor force over a wide range of excursion and power levels to reduce distortion. more info...

Interlocking Cone & Dust Cap
(Patent Pending)
Enhances mechanical integrity and cone rigidity. more info...Elevated Frame-Cooling
(U.S. Patent #6,219,431)
Creates a pathway for high-velocity air to flow directly across the top-plate and onto the voice coil. more info...
Vented Reinforcement Collar
(U.S. Patent #5,734,734)
Further enhances cooling by forcing air to flow across the top of the voice coil. more info...
Floating Cone Attach Method (FCAM?)
(U.S. Patent #6,501,844)
Ensures proper surround geometry and moving parts alignment in the assembled speaker. more info...

Insert Molded Suspension / Coil / Terminal Sub-Assembly
(Patent Pending)
Ensures precise lead wire length, lead wire entry and exit angles and coil to spider perpendicularity. more info...

Surround Stress-Relief
(Patent Pending)
Promotes smooth, consistent surround behavior at all excursion levels.. more info...

Customizable Trim Ring
(U.S. Patent #D480,709)
This removable ring accepts optional grille mesh inserts directly and can be painted to match the installation theme. more info...
Old 04-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Hummer Guru

www.jlaudio.com

http://www.clarion.com/global/en/top.html

Old 04-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHUMMERH2
I know nothing about car audio. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

So in looking for speakers to replace those in the H1, I don't even know where to begin. Here's what my uneducated thoughts are:

1. Look for speakers with high watt capability. The ones in there are 45W, so I should probably find something similar.

2. Boston Acoustics, Inifinity, Alpine, Pinoneer--All good names.

3. If I get a suffciently nice headunit, I won't need to buy any amps (and save myself a couple bucks).

Any corrections for advice? I've been looking at Memphis Audio as well, but not really sure about them.

Thanks.

I think that cricket guy gave you all you needed, one more piece of advice - spend more on speakers and less on a head unit. A top-line head unit w/crappy speakers will sound worse than a crappy head unit w/top-line speakers. If you have a limited budget, always always go with nicer speakers!

Infinitiy are great, I like Kenwood and Pioneer units (not a big fan of Sony, Clarion, JVC, etc). Alpine is nice, with those nice blue buttons.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you put larger speakers in without too much trouble? Or maybe just larger in the back? A 4' speaker is not going to be able to pick up close to all of the frequancies that are in a song, as a result no matter what you use its not going to sound all that great. I like the Reference series speakers as well, and recomend them to you. But, I would find a way to fit the 6' speakers in there, in the end you will have a much more well balanced audio system IMO. As far as head units I have a JVC KD-AR7500 in my truck and have liked it quite a bit, but it does freeze up every now and then. Other then the freezing up every now and again it has given my zero problems.

-007=
Old 04-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Hummer Authority

Thanks for all the advice, particularly Mooncricket! Lots to read!

Carey, I am looking into ordering a newer trim piece inside that would fit maybe up to 8 speakers instead of 4. I think those are then 6" speakers, but I'm not sure. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to fit 6" speakers into this surround either.

The current speakers are JVC, but are paper cones, and sound like crap.