H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-31-2008, 02:18 AM
Hummer Expert

splne1 is on a distinguished road
Default ROUGH STARTS H2??HELP!!!

It all started with a trip from Virginia to Texas last week. The drive to Tx was great no problems for the most part. I did feel that the throttle would open pretty wide when on cruise control going up hills and showing above 3500 rpm. Decided to just use my foot and it wasn't to bad. Anyhow it was the day before I was ready to come back that I noticed when I started it she gasped for air and then started, no rough idle or nothing??? Brushed that off and all was well. Again later that day same thing went to start and heard the gasp of air before the start. So now I am really confused , no check engine light, no rough idle, so I didn't think it was the fuel system. Checked the MAF sensor, nope clean as a whistle. So I am on the way home with this situation and as I cross the state line into virginia the real trouble starts. Now its not gasping for air its literally starving for it upon start. Cruising under 40MPH starts to bounce the the RPM slightly and you can feel it trying to keep running. Not excessive but I notice it barely completely sitting still at a redlight. I think I may have put some bad gas some where on the way back so I just tanked her with premium and threw some Fuel system cleaner and am hoping for the best. So far I did notice a slight accel improvement. Could it mean my injectors were dirty or what????? I am shooting for the worst and planning on getting a new fuel pump? Anyone know the PN# for the fuel pump?? Injectors??? Any help is greatly appreciated, and if in the VA area maybe a couple of cold ones for the help with this issue.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Pure_Justice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ROUGH STARTS H2??HELP!!!

I think you did the right thing by uping the fuel octane and adding the fuel injector cleaner. I would try that for a least a couple of tank fills before repacing anything. I always believe in trying the cheap method first before actually replacing items on my vehicle.

Hope that clears it though. Good Luck
Old 09-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep! Keep using the injector cleaner (Techron). The same thing happened to me. I quit using the really cheap gas and now use Chevron, or Mobil with their addatives. After several tanks it runs better than ever.
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Hummer Expert

Been using the Techron cleaner. But I have always used chevron,texaco or shell gas. I guess she only wants premium now Anyhow trucks running alot better now. Ill probably do two more treatments of cleaner and just run premium from now on. Thanks for the input guys
Old 09-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Hummer Expert

Another UPDATE!!! Trucks running alot better now second tank with premium and techron fuel system cleaner!!! Runs FANTASTIC on premium. I recommend it, I know gas prices being the way they are but who really buys an H2 for gas mileage anyhow!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Hummer Professional

H2Much is on a distinguished road

Could also be the Mass air flow sensor, the sensor on the intake. It monitors the amounts of humidity in the air as it goes into the engine. This in turn, controls how the cars computer mixes air and fuel, and can cause the vehicle to run rich or light. The other thing it could be, is a leak in the air intake manifold. The only way to tell if this is the case, is to go to a mechanic with a smoke machine, and have them test for it. I went through all of this already with mine, and after replacing the mass air flow sensor and checking everything else, it ended up being a small air leak in the intake manifold. The symtoms were similar, rough starts, RPM's fluctuating up and down in idle, loss of power over accelleration. The repair wasn't that bad on cost either.
Sweet looking H2 with not enough mods (2003 Pewter H2, 20" Rockstars, 40"x15.5" Toyo MT's, E&G Extended Flares, Full body tube steel exoskeleton, 5" Skyjacker lift, Amp Research steps, Gobi Roofrack and ladders, Smoked LED's, AFe CAI, Dynatech long tubes and cats, Magnaflow exhaust, Stock tune, 4.88 gears, Chrome Grenade Shifter, interior blacked out, rear captains chairs, Solar Power!!)
Old 09-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Hummer Expert

I'll have to take a look thanks.