Thread: tow rigs
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tow rigs

I towed my Z06 on a very heavy equipment trailer a few times when I had my 2006..... total trailer weight was over 6000lbs. It pulled it pretty good but remember Im in Illinois and its flat as can be here. I definately knew the trailer was back there but in no way did the truck struggle. I also have a Haulmark low hauler (low roof profile) enclosed trailer with dual axle and it measures 8x13 for hauling motorcycles and whatever else. That trailer also pulled very nicely behind the 2006.

I can without doubt say that my 2008 is much better suited for towing. My buddy's Duramax had an issue with it's brakes last year so we used my truck to haul his 32' twin big block offshore boat on a triple axle trailer down to Lake Michigan.... we figured loaded with 110 gallons of fuel, gear, boat and trailer was tipping the scales near 9,000lbs. The H2 pulled it very well to the point I was actually very surprised. It was about 100 miles round trip and I still got 9+ mpgs which isnt bad in my opinion for a trailer with that weight. It was the middle of summer and we hit some downtown Chicago stop/go traffic with the A/C cranking and the tranny or engine temps never shot above normal operating range.

Keep in mind its not just the weight when you talking about a high profile travel/camper trailer, you have to figure in a lot of wind resistance and that is the killer at highway speeds as it can make your trailer much heavier than it actually is to pull.

I think you will be OK with your rig providing that you take it easy while in tow, use your tow/haul setting and keep a close eye on your trans/engine temps. I would also install an external trans cooler to help keep the trans temps lower.

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT