H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Awww crap, you guys are interested in speed.

Whenever I get the urge to go fast, I don't hope into a car, I jump on my bike.....

My Video Collectionez

Old 10-30-2003, 08:05 PM

Drag is off the scale

Perhaps some clarification is needed here.

Argo, I totally agree, if you're not using all four limbs to row the car, it bites. However, between using a manumatic and an automatic, I'd go manumatic each time just to get a better edge in shifting. I've never used the F1 shifter, so I can't comment. The styling, well, yeah, the style is classic, and appeals to me, too. I would like something more unique, and American to boot. Hence, my preference for the Caddy.

DRTY, if the vehicle in question is indeed the SL55, then many of my points still stand. Bang for the buck? Well, with the Benz you get extra bang for a LOT of extra bucks. This is a big selling point. However, you are totally right, the SL55 handles like a wet dream, and yes, I've had sinful thoughts regarding driving that one, too. From what I hear, the SL55 can chew up and spit our winding roads with perfect steering response and stability control.

That being said, my wallet is nowhere near big enough to warrant spending more than $100K on a car or indeed any form of transportation. After all, I'm not Bill Gates, and even the SUT that I dream about nightly will be a stretch when it comes out next year. If I can't afford the credit terms or leasing, then I don't purchase or lease.

To sum up, both the SL55 and Kathy Ireland are items that I'd like to possess, but in reality, I doubt I ever will.

Corvette= "The ability to pass with class"
Old 10-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

M parents picket theirs up three weeks ago and love it. Black and bad. Good choice for a car.

As for those of you who suggest the SLR, I seem to remember another Caddy that went after the SL series sometime back...the Alante Remember that garbage.

I also wonder what the trade in values will be in a year or two. '04 model year is not available at kbb.com yet.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 10-30-2003, 08:57 PM

argonaut is off the scale

You know, to counteract what I just was saying. Dude has a 360 spyder. he doesn't need a performance car. the SL will be a very comfortable grand torer for you and will deliver you in style to wherever you want to go. If he wants raw performance, he has his ferrari to play with. good choice Zero. I was too hasty earlier and didn't think about the Ferrari. maybe I was just jealous that you have a place to put all your cars and thus can collect them. Whenever I decide to settle down and buy a big house for a family, I will start my own collection. storage units are just not good places for cars. I hate being hip, it doesn't leave much room for toys... sigh
Old 10-30-2003, 09:14 PM

Drag is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As for those of you who suggest the SLR, I seem to remember another Caddy that went after the SL series sometime back...the Alante Remember that garbage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken I'll be the first to agree that the Allante was crap. It had a manual soft-top, front wheel drive; nowhere near enough horsepower and it had to be shipped transatlantic because of the Pinafarina body. The XLR on the other hand, is a rear driver, with a power hard top and more HP than the Benz, Lexus or Jaguar. Less than the new Porsche Cabrio, but then again, out muscling Porsche is pretty hard to do. Also, it comes out of Bowling Green, a US plant with UAW workers. The profits go to GM, a US company and their US workers.

As far as it being an 04, the first model year is often the most valuable from a collectors standpoint, unless there are radical changes in another model year or two that are quickly canceled. This is the point of rare car collecting.

I'd expect the residual to stay high just because of the scarcity of the product. After all, let's say that Caddy builds 5K of these and MB builds 10K of the SL500s. Simple supply and demand states that the rarer car will hold more value unless there is something incredibly wrong with em. Caddy's invested too much money to risk having even one lemon leave the plant, and quality control on 5 thousand Caddy’s is a lot easier than quality control on 10 thousand Merc-Benz 500s. Therefore, I predict higher residual values for the XLR than the Benz, but the SL55 AMG was and is still the king of the roost for car nuts like me.

Corvette= "The ability to pass with class"
Old 10-31-2003, 03:59 PM

ZeroTolerance is off the scale

HUMMERDOGG, no that is not me, just moved out to the Shadow Creek Ranch area, just bought a new house out there. So looking forward to it, only has a 5 car garage, but oh well have to make do.. No I keep all my stuff stored in a climate controled facility in Houston (not going to say where for security reasons) but it is nice, a 6000+ sq ft facility at 72 degrees and the lease is nice...

2003 H2 Black
2003 Ferrari 360 Modena Black
2003 Yukon Denali Red
2004 M5 BMW
2004 M3 BMW
2003 525i BMW
2002 Chevy Crew Cab HD Duramax
1989 930 Porsche Turbo White
2003 996 TT Porsche Black
1972 914 6 3.6L Porsche white
1995 Ferrari 348 Challenge Yellow
2004 47 ft Outerlimits Trip 1050 SC Mercs.....
2002 Honda CR250
2004 Honda CRF450
Old 10-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Zero,
Could you drop the very impressive signature line please. I really enjoy it, but it's killing me. Just a slight problem with daydreaming.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:12 PM

he just has to rub it in Bendover's face DRTY... What are the Honda thingies on your list?
Old 10-31-2003, 05:17 PM
Hummer Messiah

Motorcycles.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:57 PM

Ah, something I have luckily never gotten in to. If I bought a donor cycle I woould be dead inside a week. Good thing I haven't picked up that hobby yet... There is a ducatti dealer right by my house...
Old 11-01-2003, 01:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

John D is off the scale

Argonaut,
Case 2, In March this year I spent 65K for a new M-3 convert with SMG, after waiting till it had 800 miles of breakin I punched the car off the line. What a disappointment, the car could not spin the tires until you reached 10 mph. Also the car had run flats which gave it the ride quality of solid rubber. With 800 miles and one month old i traded the car for a 03 C5 Vette convert 6sp, this car I love, lots of power and torque and if I want more it is cheap. Much better ride quality, better car all around. The BMW M-3 may go around corners like few others, but like most people I do not live on a race track and I want a car that is fun to drive all the time not just when it finds a track.
Case 1, Last year my wife wanted a new SUV she had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (great car) and i thought she might like one of the Germany hot rods, well we bought a new 65k ML55, great motor, great tires for the rain, great traction control in the rain, but the ride sucks the Vette and my old 02 Subaru WRX rode much better, the germanys have a wierd way of doing just about everything and few are good an most suck. The cruise control stick sucks, the lack of personal setting by fob sucks, the lack of a place to store the book size owners manual sucks, most of the controls and switches suck, fit and finish is OK. The engine is the best part of the car and if I was allowed to abuse the car i could over look alot of the other short coming. MB service does not suck, they pickup the car at the farm leave a loaner travel 30 plus miles to dealership and bring it back serviced washed and detailed, that anyone is going to like. The car is fun to drive hard, the motor is great, but in normal driving the ML55 is sub standard. The wife loves it so i guess we are going to have it a while. PS The Dunlap tires it comes with have no snow rating so we had to buy 4 winter tires and (4) rims because no one makes witer tires to fit the ML55 rims ($1800). After many disappointments I have bought my last new import, they cost too much new, they cost too much to soup up and they are not any better then their American counter parts in normal use.
John D.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argonaut:
I hate to disagree with you DRTY, but the handeling on the SL is just not very good. On a straight away it has a lot of power, and is really fast (fun to drive too, I like stealing my dad's) but once you hit the curves it really sucks. a stock bottom of the line BMW 3 series will out handle that merc any day of the week. The sad truth. Now if you aren't on the track, or driving curvy roads, that Merc would be ideal. And besides, it's an automatic. I guess that is my biggest beef with mercedes. they are no fun. All you have is an automatic and traction control that you can't turn off. What fun is that? The TC kills a lot of the torque of those cars. Now if mercedes offered a manual or at least and F1 tranny, and a button to turn the TC off like on the BMWs then I would run out and buy one because I think they are absolutely beautiful cars, and not girly at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-01-2003, 08:03 PM

DCfromCapeCod is off the scale

M3 does not come with run-flats from the factory. It WILL spin the tires from a standstill....easily. All it takes is turning the traction control off and knowing how to drive the SMG.

Why would you want to spin the tires?
Old 11-01-2003, 09:32 PM

I can spin my tires, and my stock tires are run flats. there is no spare in the trunk because of the exhaust system, so it came with run flats, same thing with the M5. everybody has a preferance in cars. I'm not a corvette fan, but some people like corvettes. I wanted something fast that could still comfortably seat four. My M3 is slow compared to my M5, but it still has balls and is a blast to drive. If you hold the stick forward you can get a launch start and burn some rubber. It is built into the SMG, pretty fun. you also have a hill start mode and some other cool settings. But yeah, DC is right, turning the TC off is key. the cool thing is all BMWs have the option to turn DSC off. pretty cool.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:33 AM

Frank Hewitt is off the scale

back to the original post, that's a sweet-as-hell ride! Congrats. There are a lot of folks here who seem to think their opinions matter. That's all good, and YOU are fair game to the opinionated blather of fellow forum members because you posted, just as I am for backing your purchase, so just expect it. I still can't get over why anyone with gray matter between their ears would obtain a residence with 5 garages when has over a dozen vehicles??? You can't make sense of other folks' motives.... yet others just love the opportunity to judge you.

gasman
Old 11-02-2003, 01:23 AM

Honestly I did not purchase the house because of the garage space, I was actually disappointed that it only had a 5 car garage. My meaning was that I have other space to hold my possessions and I need not dwarf a neighborhood with a huge structure to hold that many vehicles when I only can drive one at a time and some of them I do not drive very often at all, maybe once a year. I bought a house like this cause I liked it, it was what I was looking for in a house and the garage set up allows me to put my wifes BMW in the garage, my H2, the dirtbikes, my Modena, and the 996 so that they are close to me. The rest of the stuff is in storage.. That was what the gray matter between my ears told me to do, be sensible and I did... And thanks for the Kudos on the new ride...

2003 H2 Black
2003 Yukon Denali Red
2004 M5 BMW
2004 M3 BMW
2003 525i BMW
2002 Honda CR250
2004 Honda CRF450
Old 11-02-2003, 01:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

John D is off the scale

Dc beg to differ run flats are standard on the convert no room for a spare, also my C5 vette has run flats and has a great ride. Also SMG convert falls on it face off the line and then catches up at about 1500 RPM. This is with traction control off. Oh you can use the so called launch control and get the RPM up to 1500 and then it has enough power to spin and launch hard and spin, but doing that is only something you are going to do on a drag strip. Why do i want the car I just paid 65K to have enough power to spin the tires, what I wanted was power off the line and a near 4000 pound car that is limited to 900 rpm and has no torque converter or a way to ride the clutch and only has a little over 200 ft/pounds of torque is going to be a rat without a clutch. The M-3 BMG convert is a rat off the line and has no punch at 60 mph, all the BMW guys brag about how it handles and that I agree it is a great handler, but on the street leaving the toll booth, or rolling on the power at 60 it is a pooch. I expect BMW will like MB stop playing with the little zinger motors and go to a V8 in the M-3 in the near future, then it may be a real world class car, but even then it will be over priced and will cost a three times what it should to add a few ponies. If you like BMW's and MB's give them your money, be happy, I have my share and I think it is all hype and they are a rip off. Got to admit my Silver M-3 Convert was just about one of the best looking cars I have seen, and when you read the press you have to think it is great, but if you spend time on BMW news groups you will find many others who see it as I do. Problem is if they speak out they get bashed like there is no tomorrow, seems you are not allowed to speak out for long if you have any thing bad to say about the car. If I would have bought a stick instead of the SMG I think I would still have the car. The Convert is just too heavy and the six has too little torque for the SMG. The Convert weights 3800+- I way 250+ thats too much for the motor with that trans. I did not want a car that I had to do tricks with just to get off the line, some others don't think it is a problem and those i talked to with others that were non-converts and they said they could smoke the tires off the line. Smoking the tires is not the issue, having power to smoke the ties or launch hard was. Cost me $7000 to drive my M-3 800 miles.
John D. 03 H2 03 C5 Vette Convert, 02 ML55 (wife) <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John D:
Argonaut,
Case 2, In March this year I spent 65K for a new M-3 convert with SMG, after waiting till it had 800 miles of breakin I punched the car off the line. What a disappointment, the car could not spin the tires until you reached 10 mph. Also the car had run flats which gave it the ride quality of solid rubber. With 800 miles and one month old i traded the car for a 03 C5 Vette convert 6sp, this car I love, lots of power and torque and if I want more it is cheap. Much better ride quality, better car all around. The BMW M-3 may go around corners like few others, but like most people I do not live on a race track and I want a car that is fun to drive all the time not just when it finds a track.
Case 1, Last year my wife wanted a new SUV she had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (great car) and i thought she might like one of the Germany hot rods, well we bought a new 65k ML55, great motor, great tires for the rain, great traction control in the rain, but the ride sucks the Vette and my old 02 Subaru WRX rode much better, the germanys have a wierd way of doing just about everything and few are good an most suck. The cruise control stick sucks, the lack of personal setting by fob sucks, the lack of a place to store the book size owners manual sucks, most of the controls and switches suck, fit and finish is OK. The engine is the best part of the car and if I was allowed to abuse the car i could over look alot of the other short coming. MB service does not suck, they pickup the car at the farm leave a loaner travel 30 plus miles to dealership and bring it back serviced washed and detailed, that anyone is going to like. The car is fun to drive hard, the motor is great, but in normal driving the ML55 is sub standard. The wife loves it so i guess we are going to have it a while. PS The Dunlap tires it comes with have no snow rating so we had to buy 4 winter tires and (4) rims because no one makes witer tires to fit the ML55 rims ($1800). After many disappointments I have bought my last new import, they cost too much new, they cost too much to soup up and they are not any better then their American counter parts in normal use.
John D.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argonaut:
I hate to disagree with you DRTY, but the handeling on the SL is just not very good. On a straight away it has a lot of power, and is really fast (fun to drive too, I like stealing my dad's) but once you hit the curves it really sucks. a stock bottom of the line BMW 3 series will out handle that merc any day of the week. The sad truth. Now if you aren't on the track, or driving curvy roads, that Merc would be ideal. And besides, it's an automatic. I guess that is my biggest beef with mercedes. they are no fun. All you have is an automatic and traction control that you can't turn off. What fun is that? The TC kills a lot of the torque of those cars. Now if mercedes offered a manual or at least and F1 tranny, and a button to turn the TC off like on the BMWs then I would run out and buy one because I think they are absolutely beautiful cars, and not girly at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-02-2003, 02:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

JohnnyBoy is off the scale

Hummer Man is a Dick. Those of us here long enough still remember his first posts and think he is a waste of skin.
Zero, that is a sweet ride and you can't go wrong with it.
I'm actually thinking of picking up a 360 F1 or going with a 355 F1, I've always loved the 355, sexy car!

==================================
'03 Hummer H2 Adv./Lux. Pkgs. Sunset Orange W/Sunroof
Air Spring Susp. Pkg. + 3rd. row seat & DVD System.
CompuStar Auto Security/Remote Starter.
CompuStar Auto Security/Remote Starter.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:45 AM

KMAzz is off the scale

ZeroT....Wan't to adopt me?

2003 Yellow H2
1993 Ford Probe GT(SHOW CAR)

Old 11-02-2003, 03:34 AM

HAHAHA, adopt, wish I had a dollar for everytime I have heard that, then I would have even more money.... hahahahaha

2003 H2 Black
2003 Yukon Denali Red
2004 M5 BMW
2004 M3 BMW
2003 525i BMW
2002 Honda CR250
2004 Honda CRF450
Old 11-02-2003, 04:24 AM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KMAzz:
ZeroT....Wan't to adopt me?

2003 Yellow H2
1993 Ford Probe GT(SHOW CAR)

http://importxdream.com/3333.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beat it KMazz, I'm first in line!!!