H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AC Update: ;(

Well, things aren't as they seem. When I got my ac redone, I thought it was great. The problem was it was only in the low 80's with low humidity for those few days.

Now that it's back in the high 90's with high humidity, my AC sucks. I took it back to my tech friend at a dealership and the low pressure went back up. He thought perhaps at some point too much oil had been installed so he drained it.

After checking everything out, they end up replacing the compressor, accumulator AND clutch fan and though it's ice cold while moving, it still sucks at an idle.

I'll probably have to add an aftermarket fan to keep the condenser cool... all this from checking out an orifice.

Guess we'll see where it goes from here...

Mark
Old 06-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AC Update: ;(

I think you have learned not to mess with any more orifices.

Sorry Mark, that sux. Keep us updated.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 Ranger is an unknown quantity at this point

OC,
If it were me I would check the Expansion Valve or recheck the Orfice (did you reverse it?) The real question should be how is the High pressure getting on the low pressure side of the system. What was the pressure of the low side and High Side? There should be no reason to add a fan just for the AC otherwise a lot of owners would need to do the same. Let us know what you get done. AC seems to be a subject that we always say, ok whatever you want to replace.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Well, things aren't as they seem. When I got my ac redone, I thought it was great. The problem was it was only in the low 80's with low humidity for those few days.

Now that it's back in the high 90's with high humidity, my AC sucks. I took it back to my tech friend at a dealership and the low pressure went back up. He thought perhaps at some point too much oil had been installed so he drained it.

After checking everything out, they end up replacing the compressor, accumulator AND clutch fan and though it's ice cold while moving, it still sucks at an idle.

I'll probably have to add an aftermarket fan to keep the condenser cool... all this from checking out an orifice.

Guess we'll see where it goes from here...

Mark
Mark,

the fan won't work. trust me, I know things.

I am guessing you idle at or just below 600. It's too f'ing low for the compressor. What ever programmer (I know the Diablosport allows you to do it) will allow you to change the idle RPM while A/C ON, it's worth getting.

If I can get Diablosport to fix my programmer I am going to adjust my idle speed back up.

Paid a lot more attention to it just recently because on Thursday in the middle of nowhereville 100-degree Texas, one of my A/C lines popped. The compressor had let go and dumped trash into the system. So I paid $1300 to get it bandaided back together with a manufactured hose, Chevy dealership compressor but since the drier on the H2 is unique, I couldn't get it replaced and I might still eat the new stuff. So, I don't have a warranty on the new stuff just so I could get some A/c gong for the K-Rocks event.

Anyway, we were going over it after the repair and with my programmer hooked up and monitoring the RPM and other diagnostics, the A/C blows cold at about 650 RPM as the lowest and it doesn't seem to pull any more on the truck while in drive than before. I can hold the pedal just right and have the A/C blow cold while stopped at a light.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my compressor replaced back in october of last year, right before the warranty ran out. We've had some 100 degree days the last few days, and It seems my AC isn't running as well. It does work better when going down the highway, but in the city...it takes forever for it to cool down. I've also noticed, that it works better if I don't set it at 60, but instead at 70 or even 80 degrees... Could be all in my head... The local dealership says it's normal.....

'03 H2
Old 06-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochummer
I had my compressor replaced back in october of last year, right before the warranty ran out. We've had some 100 degree days the last few days, and It seems my AC isn't running as well. It does work better when going down the highway, but in the city...it takes forever for it to cool down. I've also noticed, that it works better if I don't set it at 60, but instead at 70 or even 80 degrees... Could be all in my head... The local dealership says it's normal.....
RPMS
Old 07-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Hummer Guru

Well this last weekend since I was at the beach stuck in 100 degree weather and at a standstill in traffic for over AN HOUR gave me a good chance to see how it's working.

My tech replaced everything again... another new compressor, etc, etc.
With the truck just idling, the temp gets down to 46'ish Going down the road or stepping on the gas to bring the idle up will bring the temp down to 42-43. That's ICE COLD.

However, getting stuck in traffic for an hour or so, you can feel the temp difference. I still want to try the fan trick.

Paragon, why won't the fan idea work? Even GM's on their Yukons had a Service Bulletin to add a supplemental fan when the vehicle sits at a light. Any air flowing over the condensor should help. I know the H2 doesn't have the greatest mounting place but isn't there a way to make some air go over the condensor?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well this last weekend since I was at the beach stuck in 100 degree weather and at a standstill in traffic for over AN HOUR gave me a good chance to see how it's working.

My tech replaced everything again... another new compressor, etc, etc.
With the truck just idling, the temp gets down to 46'ish Going down the road or stepping on the gas to bring the idle up will bring the temp down to 42-43. That's ICE COLD.

However, getting stuck in traffic for an hour or so, you can feel the temp difference. I still want to try the fan trick.

Paragon, why won't the fan idea work? Even GM's on their Yukons had a Service Bulletin to add a supplemental fan when the vehicle sits at a light. Any air flowing over the condensor should help. I know the H2 doesn't have the greatest mounting place but isn't there a way to make some air go over the condensor?

Thanks,

Mark
That's what the guy at the fixit place in Texas said. Something about the RPMs of the truck being too low and building head pressure and the compressor not operating at the right efficiency or something.

I don't know if it will work or not, personally. He said that many 6.0L are idling too low for the compressors and I kinda half-assed believe him because I can increase the RPMs while stopped at a light and the A/C gets cooler. Other than that, I dunno.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
He said that many 6.0L are idling too low for the compressors and I kinda half-assed believe him because I can increase the RPMs while stopped at a light and the A/C gets cooler. Other than that, I dunno.

That happens for several reasons. Increasing the rpms will obviously make the compressor flow increase pressure and the flow will work better.

Remembering that the way a AC system works isn't as much by adding cold air to the system as much as pulling HOT air OUT of the system. (condensor)
The problem is, all that hot air sits on the condensor. If you start to blow air OVER the condensor (that's why stepping on the gas at a light works... not only because you're increasing the rpms of the compressor but you're blowing air over the condensor and removing heat from the fan) you'll cure your problem.

I took a brief look and noticed that the H2 doesn't have an ideal place to mount another fan (electric) I still say that putting a fan to cool the condensor at a light will help.

Though my AC is working pretty well, I'm still going to try playing with this idea.

Mark
Old 07-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
That happens for several reasons. Increasing the rpms will obviously make the compressor flow increase pressure and the flow will work better.

Remembering that the way a AC system works isn't as much by adding cold air to the system as much as pulling HOT air OUT of the system. (condensor)
The problem is, all that hot air sits on the condensor. If you start to blow air OVER the condensor (that's why stepping on the gas at a light works... not only because you're increasing the rpms of the compressor but you're blowing air over the condensor and removing heat from the fan) you'll cure your problem.

I took a brief look and noticed that the H2 doesn't have an ideal place to mount another fan (electric) I still say that putting a fan to cool the condensor at a light will help.

Though my AC is working pretty well, I'm still going to try playing with this idea.

Mark
Mine will fail again pretty soon. When my compressor imploded or whatever it did, it sent pieces into the system. Most got trapped in the Expansion tube, I was told. But some could have made it to the Drier. They couldn't get a drier in their hands soon enough so I don't have a warranty on the new parts.

On the 700 or so mile drive back home yesterday it seemed the A/C vacillated between good cooling and OK cooling.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

Donkey_Kong is an unknown quantity at this point

Air conitioning systems are meant to work 20-40% of the vehicles normal life. It's not that way when you live in the southern US. Thus you will always have some AC issues. It's a quality issue found in all American vehicles.