H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential Buyer Concerned about Reliability

I have to agree with the rest of the guys. I've got over 70K miles on my '03 and the only problems I've had have been self induced. Incorrect settings when installing gears resulting in new diff unit, balance problem on drive shaft...blah, blah, blah.... all because of difficulties because of the lift kit (which was a freak and should have never happened)

Nonetheless, the only other issue is the sunroof, it still works, it's quirky and though I have an extended warranty, I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Mechanically it's on the same level of any Yukon, Escalade, etc, etc. I sold my 1999 Yukon with 155K miles and other than the normal alternator, waterpump and suspension parts (also had a lift on it) it never left me stranded. I drove that thing everywhere.

Today I leave to Florida to visit family, this will be the 6th trip in the last year and a half and I've never had any issues.

I'm honestly not sure why the JD powers survey comes back so low because many of my friends drive H2's and they also are incident free.

I'm sure you'll have to get things fixed "while at the dealer" but my H2 has never left me on the side of the road to the point when I replace this vehicle, it will probably be with another H2.

I commend you for doing your homework but I honestly think you'll be terrificly pleased with your purchase.

Good luck with whatever vehicle you choose.

Mark
Old 11-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

My 05 SUV left me stranded in the parking lot at Lowes when my wife was running the heater blower, both DVD's and the headlights for about 30 minutes while I was inside. When I came back out, the battery was dead. I'm pretty sure a Toyota would not have done that.

All kidding aside, my wife drives a Lexus GX470 and other than a better interior, I don't see much of a quality difference. Her car has 20K and mine 30k. She needs new tires and brake rotors and I don't. Hers has been in the shop for twice and so has mine. Minor items for me and a TSB and broken NAV on hers.

Last edited by 89vette : 11-25-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89vette
My 05 SUV left me stranded in the parking lot at Lowes when my wife was running the heater blower, both DVD's and the headlights for about 30 minutes while I was inside. When I came back out, the battery was dead. I'm pretty sure a Toyota would not have done that.

If the engine was not running, I would not bet the Toyota would not have a dead battery too; especially if the blower was on high.
Number one or two (depending on month) assistance call on the Lexus Cust. Assist. help line is no start due to dead battery!
Old 11-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

I would get the truck.

I know where you're coming from - my H2 is my daily driver. I can't afford the hassle of trying to get it to the dealer, wait for a loaner, go back to the dealer, etc, etc. I have had to do that on RARE occassion with my truck - and all for problems that were known with the 2003 model year (which I have) and have since been corrected.

From what I've seen on this board, which is a VERY representative sampling of H2 owners (and these guys abuse the trucks more than any soccer mom will), there isn't a reoccuring H2 issue that will leave you stranded. It's all minor issues that are easy to live with, and just have the dealer fix them when you take it in for an oil change.

The ones I've encountered - and keep in mind this is for the FIRST model year of the truck, and tech bulletins were issued and the problems corrected in later years:

Windshield moulding coming loose (no leaks - just wind noise)
AC blowing hot air (not a big deal, it was spring)
Pinging in the muffler (spot weld, no exhaust issues, just noise)
Onstar module replacement (still can't figure this out, won't work in my driveway next to another Onstar that works, but will work everywhere else!)

Like I said, no big deal.

I have always purchased vehicles based on CR and their reliability reports. The H2 was the first time I broke the mold on that one, and I have not regretted it. I LOVE this truck.

Stacy
Old 11-26-2006, 01:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2Blondie is off the scale

Every truck is different, and yes, there is the slight possibility you will end up a lemon. If that's what you want to hear, there you go! You are going to be hard pressed on this website to find anyone who is not completely satisfied with their truck.

I have had mine since June 05 and LOVE it! It has been on numerous trips between TX and CO as well as daily driving around town and around TX. When it comes to reliability, I have no problem chosing the H2 over either Mercedes for road trips!

Money may not buy happiness, but it makes a nice down payment!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Hummer Professional

Motohead is an unknown quantity at this point

Its also hard to compare reliability between a Toyota Camry and an H2, considering what a lot of H2 are used for, like off roading, etc. That is going to put much more wear on a vehicle than just regular driving. It's the same with a camaro, etc, a car that the snot is beat out of by every 18 year old kid.