H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

r3run33 is on a distinguished road
Default rod hall h2 sut???

Hello has anyone seen rod hall hummer sut in person or has some pics of it? seen a few vids and wanted to know the mods on it besides the cage etc. here is a link to youtube if you dont know about the truck thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJr4UmC7ifA
Old 05-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Hummer Novice

H2 rocks me is off the scale
Default Re: rod hall h2 sut???

it my understanding that the SUT is one the first 2008 of the production line.

it then when to GM racing, and was completly taken down and rebuilt under SCORE Stock Full Size Class 8 rules.

About the only thing stock are the engine block and heads, trans case, number of shocks, and the body panels.

SCORE rules a pretty liberal in this class.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 rocks me
it my understanding that the SUT is one the first 2008 of the production line.

it then when to GM racing, and was completly taken down and rebuilt under SCORE Stock Full Size Class 8 rules.

About the only thing stock are the engine block and heads, trans case, number of shocks, and the body panels.

SCORE rules a pretty liberal in this class.
You forgot tie rods! The tie rods are still stock. And the shocks can be as big as you can fit. In fact, the new Fox H2 racing shocks are bigger than COHummers leg!

They also integrated a full roll cage into the new truck, off the assembly line. The Halls don't even do any pre-race tuning (or whatever you call it) anymore. They just roll it off the GM transport and get in and drive. (I meant to say, that GM does all that for them now.)

Last edited by ROX : 05-20-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Hummer Novice

Did you read the article on Hall racing in your new magazine?

Josh broke two tie rods on the SUT
Old 05-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

r3run33 is on a distinguished road

do you know this for real? I seen some pics of the website etc and the ride height etc lloks fairly stock; you can see the fox shocks in the wheel well; so what tie rods are they using? etc thats what i'm looking for. I did see the vid that gm backs them. i would love to see that rig in person anyone going to the race maybe???
Old 05-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Hummer Novice

I have seen the shocks in person, they are about 4 inch diameter, multi-valved, about 15 inches of travel. The rules only say stock "number" of shocks. Nothing about mounting, size, location.

I think that most of the parts are custom fabbed in either Hall's or GM's race shop. That or are proto-types from the respective manufacturer.

The SCORE Class 8 is pretty misleading in what they call Stock.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point

H2 Rocks Me: Wow, your 'facts' sure are heavily exagerated.

The HUMMER stock trucks are more stock than anything, with the exception of shocks, roll cage, and interior stripping/mods to be race friendly.

Quote:

...and frame, and stock suspension designs... Again, the stock HUMMER trucks are for the most part, stock.

Infact, Rod Hall runs off the showroom floor H2's and H3's for pre-runs.

Don't mislead r3run33 into believing these aren't close to stock trucks, they are stock trucks, with mods to accommodate the racing conditions. Anybody here with the skills and money could take a stock HUMMER and make the same changes.

No offense, but you make it sound like they're completely new vehicles with no resemblence of the stock counterpart under the body, which is completely untrue.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROX
In fact, the new Fox H2 racing shocks are bigger than COHummers leg!

TRUE!!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Very true! This H2 looks to be what racing stock cars were in the 60s. Off the showroom floor, with the interior gutted, glass taken out and suspension and engine tweaks. As we all know, NASCAR cars bear no resemblance to showroom cars anymore, but Hummers are built tought straight from the factory!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROX
the new Fox H2 racing shocks are bigger than COHummers leg!
My chihuahua's legs are bigger than COHummers leg!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Hummer Novice

I did have the opportunity to visit with Rod Hall and his sons for a few minutes about a year ago. I asked him the very same questions about how stock the H2 SUT really was. He smiled and said you can't buy one of these!!!

That being said, I don't doubt someone with the skills and resources couldn't build one. I know that the truck has to maintain certain stock aspects, but a lot of the components are modified, reinforced, reengineered, relocated and such.

I am also pretty sure that about a dozen GM engineers and techs are not spending all their time trying to decide what color to paint the thing either!!!

But I do know that no one is going to take a show room stock H2, slap on a new set of shocks, bigger tie rods, a few other off the shelf items, kick the windows out, and race the Baja 1000
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 Maverick is off the scale

This is from the horses mouth instead of the other end. I was the project manager for the build of the H2 SUT race truck. This truck as well as the H3 and H3A race truck were all built at the GM Desert Proving Ground by one engineer and 4-6 technicians. In all cases the trucks are bone stock with the exception of spring rates, shocks and safety equipment. The H2 SUT runs in the SCORE Stock Full class (86X) and in the Stock Pickup BITD class (8111). The H3 runs SCORE Stock Mini (760) and Stock Mini SUV in BITD (3111). The H3A because of the V8 runs SCORE Stock Full against the H2 and in BITD it is in the Stock Fullsize SUV class (4111).

As per the rules, no suspension components are modified in any way. The engines in all three vehicles are completely production with air induction moved inside the cab for obvious reasons. Wiring harnesses were modified to remove unused circuits such as power door, window, radio, mirrors, etc.

The trucks do not just show up at the races for the Hall's to jump in and go. They have all been very involved in testing and development on each of the trucks. Hours and days in the desert between races.

Due to it's stellar fuel economy the H2 SUT runs a 70 gallon fuel cell.

Check out the latest article for the upcoming Baja 500... it has some pictures as well.

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/sto...-baja-500.html
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
blah blah blah blah blah

Quote:
But I do know that no one is going to take a show room stock H2, slap on a new set of shocks, bigger tie rods, a few other off the shelf items, kick the windows out, and race the Baja 1000

That's exactly what they do, except you overly simplify a process which takes time and skill, you're also ignoring the safety requirement of a roll cage. Don't forget the driving skill is required too

Last edited by RazM : 05-20-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Maverick
This is from the horses mouth instead of the other end. I was the project manager for the build of the H2 SUT race truck. This truck as well as the H3 and H3A race truck were all built at the GM Desert Proving Ground by one engineer and 4-6 technicians. In all cases the trucks are bone stock with the exception of spring rates, shocks and safety equipment. The H2 SUT runs in the SCORE Stock Full class (86X) and in the Stock Pickup BITD class (8111). The H3 runs SCORE Stock Mini (760) and Stock Mini SUV in BITD (3111). The H3A because of the V8 runs SCORE Stock Full against the H2 and in BITD it is in the Stock Fullsize SUV class (4111).

As per the rules, no suspension components are modified in any way. The engines in all three vehicles are completely production with air induction moved inside the cab for obvious reasons. Wiring harnesses were modified to remove unused circuits such as power door, window, radio, mirrors, etc.

The trucks do not just show up at the races for the Hall's to jump in and go. They have all been very involved in testing and development on each of the trucks. Hours and days in the desert between races.

Easy Mav. What Rocks is saying is that if you were to go buy a Hummer off the showroom, you couldn't make the same mods as easily in your own shop as 1 GM engineer and 6 techs with all the tools and equipment can remake them.(not to mention the checkbook) The roll cage is the perfect example because it is NOW incorporated into the frame, not bolted in like it used to be. (you couldn't do that to one off the showroom floor very easily) No one is saying its not cool. But the rules of Stock class are open to WIDE interpretation. I think the Halls are doing awesome, and I know they are involved in all the testing.

We've been to the Rod Hall Roundup three years in a row, and things have changed for the Team since then, haven't they?

As far as the trucks being race ready: I was led to believe they have less to do with actually working on them, and more to do with driving than they ever have. Whatever. Don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm sure it was just a little gloating over beers with a true Fan.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazM

No offense, but you make it sound like they're completely new vehicles with no resemblence of the stock counterpart under the body, which is completely untrue.
They aren't the same this year as in past years. There have been changes at the factory that still make it stock class, but better than something you could do at home. It's stacking the deck, like it or not.

I really don't care as long as Hummer wins!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazM

That's exactly what they do, except you overly simplify a process which takes time and skill, you're also ignoring the safety requirement of a roll cage. Don't forget the driving skill is required too
No, actually your dumb ass is
H2rocksme & ROX did in fact have the opportunity to chat with Chad Hall about the Hall race trucks. The Halls are a super nice people. They love talking about rigs/tech/tools/etc.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

LEcustoms is off the scale

Funny all that work and they still use the stock steering wheel.

03 White H2
12 HID lights, factory lightbar, custom light bar for brush guard, OEM luggage rack, k&n intake, Gran MAF, 37" Toyo M/T's, 17x12 weld racing wheels, predator programer, Dynomax 4" catback exhaust,
02 10th Anniversary H1 #44 Will be missed
94 Custom pearl white H1(work in progress)
Too many mods to list
06 kawasaki stx-15f
02 yamaha superjet
02 polaris scrambler 500

Last edited by LEcustoms : 05-20-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Hummer Novice

If the only performance mods being made are spring rates and shocks, along with the required saftey equipment, I guess I was wrong.

They are just sitting around trying to decide what color to paint the thing!!!

As far as driver skills Rod Hall is one of the best, and he is the guy that seems to bring it home every time. It is the most important part of the truck.

i just wish i could find out personally what needs to be done to make my own desert race vehicle.

r3run33

Sounds like you just need a couple new torsion bars and a set of shocks and your ready to roll!!!

Good luck to all

"You got to finish to win"
Old 05-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROX
Easy Mav. What Rocks is saying is that if you were to go buy a Hummer off the showroom, you couldn't make the same mods as easily in your own shop as 1 GM engineer and 6 techs with all the tools and equipment can remake them.(not to mention the checkbook) The roll cage is the perfect example because it is NOW incorporated into the frame, not bolted in like it used to be. (you couldn't do that to one off the showroom floor very easily) No one is saying its not cool. But the rules of Stock class are open to WIDE interpretation. I think the Halls are doing awesome, and I know they are involved in all the testing.

We've been to the Rod Hall Roundup three years in a row, and things have changed for the Team since then, haven't they?

As far as the trucks being race ready: I was led to believe they have less to do with actually working on them, and more to do with driving than they ever have. Whatever. Don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm sure it was just a little gloating over beers with a true Fan.

No, that's not what H2 Rocks Me is saying at all. r3run33 asked how close these trucks are to Stock trucks, and they are INFACT, VERY close to stock trucks. Having the roll cage welded to the frame does NOT make it any less of a stock truck. I can read, and unless someone doesn't know how to express themselves, then they mean what they say. He clearly said that the only parts that remain stock are, and I quote "engine block and heads, trans case, number of shocks, and the body panels." That's a far cry from from everything remaining intact except for roll cage welded to frame, interior guts removed, shocks added, and safety mods added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
No, actually your dumb ass is
H2rocksme & ROX did in fact have the opportunity to chat with Chad Hall about the Hall race trucks. The Halls are a super nice people. They love talking about rigs/tech/tools/etc.

Who the hell is disputing that, facts remain facts, and claiming the Hall H2 is a complete ground up workover from a stock H2 is rubbish.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
If the only performance mods being made are spring rates and shocks, along with the required saftey equipment, I guess I was wrong.

They are just sitting around trying to decide what color to paint the thing!!!

As far as driver skills Rod Hall is one of the best, and he is the guy that seems to bring it home every time. It is the most important part of the truck.

i just wish i could find out personally what needs to be done to make my own desert race vehicle.

r3run33

Sounds like you just need a couple new torsion bars and a set of shocks and your ready to roll!!!

Good luck to all

"You got to finish to win"

It's even documented for you, and you're still ignoring the facts, ugh...