H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road
Default Must have been quotes by tree huggers!

General Motors is ready to shut down Hummer. That was the big news earlier this week after the company's deal to sell the Hummer brand to Tengzhong, a Chinese machinery company, collapsed. The passing of Hummer gave opinion writers, pundits and bloggers-and the general public-an opportunity to reflect on the vehicle that perhaps best represents the excesses of the SUV era.

From the beginning, Hummer was a lightning rod, eliciting strong emotions from people who loved and hated the quintessential gas-guzzler. We collected final remembrances of the Hummer from across the web, and hope you will add your reflections and condolences.

GM Gives In To Good Taste, Closes Hummer Division

"Auto decal makers and window-tinters of the world are in mourning this afternoon...They're stopping production of the controversial phallic stand-ins...I propose that, at midnight ET tonight, all Hummer owners across the country pause their Girls Gone Wild DVDs and join me in a moment of silence for the fallen giant." - From The Consumerist

Hummer, R.I.P.

"In response to GM's announcement, flags across oil-rich Saudi Arabia were lowered to half-mast while the entire Exxon/Mobil board of directors were seen at a group grief counseling session. On Wall Street, oil speculators were jumping from windows while in Michigan, some people were mourning the possibility of a world without Hummers." - From Detroit Free Press

Hummer's Long Overdue Death

"Driving one of those militaristic behemoths used to be a status symbol, but after gas prices topped $4 a gallon in the summer of 2008, people began to rethink the excess. In 2008, GM sold 27,485 Hummers, down from 35,000 in 2003. In 2009, after announcing it was putting the brand up for sale, GM sold only 9,000." - From Forbes

Hummer's Demise a Sign of the Times

"As a symbol of conspicuous consumption, or of a lack of regard for the environment, the Hummer makes its owners look distinctly out of touch with the current public mood...It seems even the Chinese authorities are steering clear of the beast. "The brand proposition of Hummer itself goes against the strategic outline of the Chinese government, which is mainly that they want to produce energy-efficient vehicles," explains Klaus Paur, North Asia director for market research company TNS." - From BBC

The End of Really Big

"Being big and powerful is essential to our national identity. It's what we feel makes us better than the countries with older histories...Our bigness also expresses itself in the form of military might, a (now somewhat tarnished) genius for making money, and a gift for innovation (the point of which is to stay bigger and better than the rest). All of this, at least for a long period in our history, found perfect expression in our automobiles-of which the Hummer was the gargantuan, gas-guzzling apotheosis" - From The Daily Beast

What are your thoughts about the demise of Hummer?

Reprinted with permission from Hybrid Cars

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Hummer Professional

lasvegash2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Must have been quotes by tree huggers!

copied from above...."As a symbol of conspicuous consumption, or of a lack of regard for the environment, the Hummer makes its owners look distinctly out of touch with the current public mood...It seems even the Chinese authorities are steering clear of the beast. "The brand proposition of Hummer itself goes against the strategic outline of the Chinese government, which is mainly that they want to produce energy-efficient vehicles," explains Klaus Paur, North Asia director for market research company TNS." - From BBC

whats so amazing is that my hummer and escalade get about the same mpg....dam tree huggers to write such bs.

2008 h2 sut
2008 escalade
1969 charger

Last edited by lasvegash2 : 03-04-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

It has to be said fu-k all the as-holes writing sh-t about hummers. But tons of them drive 4x4 trucks with about the same mileage and are longer by about a foot or two. Just my 2 cents. Someone in the usa needs to buy it and make it what it was before.

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide

http://twrbaggersplus.com/

Last edited by twr : 03-03-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

rmutchler is on a distinguished road

Yep, my neighbor just bought a brand new ford truck...he's getting 11 MPG. Hmmp, and Hummer gets the bad rap! No worries...I'm happy and now I instantly own a classic!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I could care less what others say about Hummer. I bought it for me and not for them! It's an easy target because Hummers are the most recognizable vehicles on the road. They are a styling statement as much as a functional statement. My H2 is a ball to drive, always gets me to where I want to go in snow, sleet, mud and flood and is very comfortable on highway trips. It's very reliable and has only been back to the dealer once. My 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon would do most of that too, but you were beat to death on those hard seats after any long distances and you needed an extra loud stereo to drown out the tires, engine and wind noise (that was with the hardtop too). The Rubicon made several visits to the dealer for warranty work. I find that many people change their opinions on the H2 after they've ridden in one or driven one.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Hummer Expert

pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road

I also find it rather funny how ignorant people really are. As mentioned above more than once there are several SUV/trucks that get the same gas mileage.

What are ya gonna do.......

2006 HUMMER H2
MOOG Front End
Diablo InTune w/DiabLew Tune
Cognito Steering Support
OBX LT Headers
Air Raid Filter w/Tube
External Trans Cooler -Radiator Bypass
Corvette Servo
Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks-
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
20" Chrome Fuel Hostage - Cooper ST Maxx
Slotted Rotors/Ceramic pads/Steel Lines
Viper Smart Start
iPod/Video Interface
HID Head and Fog Lights
Optima Red Top w/ Priority Start Cut Off Mod
Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Hummer Professional

Big.Z.hummin is on a distinguished road

F*CK EM ALL! long live HUMMER!

Guess we gotta stick together now

73' Dodge Charger. 400 Magnum. B5 Blue. White Leather.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Hummer Novice

dave360 is on a distinguished road

Hummer has become the poster child for the enviro nazi's to bash. It does seem most people I run into don't have a clue about the brand or the history behind it. They could pass 20 trucks or cars that get lower mpg, but when they see the Hummer brand they know that is what they are supposed to hate...and trying to point out the other cars/suvs that get poor mileage goes right over their head.

I personally like the fact it is not for everybody, and there is no way in hell I am going to drive a glorified lawnmower to save a few bucks a day.

I put in a pool a few years ago because ALGORE said the planet was warming....wtf....now my dreams of using it year around are gone, it has been friggen cold here this winter!

Rant over....
Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Elcova Rookie

NYGirl H2 is on a distinguished road

I just get so tired of all of the negative comments about the Hummer. Most people really have no clue what the gas mileage really is or anything else for that matter. Whatever....all of the aggravation disappears though when I get in my truck and feel safe while I am playing Mom the chauffer to my 4 kids. They love it because their friends always think it's cool and want to have a ride in it, too. I've just learned to ignore the stares of the haters and be proud to drive such a gorgeous vehicle!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Elcova Newbie

bushido69 is on a distinguished road

I love my H2 and my wife is now a convert after driving it too!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 AM
Hummer Novice

Deuce is on a distinguished road

I'm a new H2 owner, just got myself a 2004 H2 Lux. I got rid of my 2008 F150 FX4 supercrew to get this, and honestly, the gas mileage isn't much worse in the Hummer than it was in the Ford. I was seeing 13mpg on a good day in the Ford.