H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone know est. cost for paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdude
Was thinking of switching from yellow to metallic black. Anyone know the ball park figure? $5K?
About a grand should do it.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
Why?

Jealous, as usual.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:40 AM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdude
Ouch, 10 grand . I will have to rethink this and keep the yellow.

Take off all acseeories you want to keep, sell the yellow, buy a balck for the same price. Or go to a stealership that has a black one in similar shape, year, etc and tell them you will swap H2's with them for $2,000.00. That way you wont be Hummer less between deals. 2k is cheap and a hell of a lot quicker than having someone paint the truck.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I would have to double check with Dragon but, He prices a small rice rocket starting at $5,000 on the low end of custom but, real nice. He takes everything off the car to paint it. Not much of masking tape on chrome trim in His work.

My H2 I think was around $5,000 just in value of paint and clear that was Our sponsors Sikkens cost through the local paint dealer who handled the shipments. That did not include other material used. You think the body panels are nice and straight and smooth just let a bodyman show You how bad it is out off showroom if He does not spend allot of time blocking the whole rig to put some real sharp looking paint on it. Well any other ride it will tell real quick how much time was put in before the paint was ever thought off being shot on. I learned allot of stuff I never even imagined watching the
Strip Mall Queen go to finally a real Mall Queen watching how many imperfections were found when the paint was stripped to metal and then see the work it took to just get it to paint and Dragon is not happy still. He wants to block sand the clear some more as they look at it and want SEMA quality period. I'm saying guys I do not see what your talking about but, they know they have been to SEMA with Us. That body guy or painter he can see it when You or I cannot and that is what is judging the ride where ever it is at shows are guys that do that work etc.

Props to You guys who do this work as it is allot more than primer and paint. A GREAT amount of skill needed in this field of work. Especially You guys who try to come up with custom jobs over and over. It is like being an artist if You have never spent time around these guys and then the ones that can air brush on top is unreal.

But, Dragon had I think House of Kolor mix color metal flake He used in the top black color on Our Mall Queen that makes it look like a blueing on a gun barrel if light is hitting at angle with the flake added to the black. It is not a true black. More blue in it than You can see in pics. So We like to have it in sun or bright light for showing.

I think total cost was and We are talking estimating shop labor etc. which included custom fabing stuff and shaving stuff was about $30,000.00 on paint job with that number NOT being retail cost on most products. We are not completed quite yet. But, I think it is a close number with the other stuff to do.

So the $10,000 range for solid non-metalic with no extra labor for changing body shape etc.. That is where the cost really gets high with it being so tedious altering the ride in anyway from stock would be about right if completely disassembled the way He and some of the other great painters on this forum do. But, they will tell You they will have to do more than sand, pime, and paint. I learned allot!! I cannot remember how many times My hood was taken off and on to get lines right and change this and that working with fiberglass on part of the truck and metal on another part back and forth.

I would suggest something if Your thinking black although I think You can make yellow look real good as i have seen some nice ones. I like it and think that if you could get an air brush guy and let him use some orange, red, white, and sort of a tequalia sunrise theme would look good.

I'm very serious about this as it is showing up in shows. LINEX, RHINO or any other brand of rubberized coating. It has been used mostly on the lower half and a few other configurations. There has been discussions I have been in on at national level in SEMA talk. I heard of someone doing an H2 with the coating. But, it was not understood if it was going to be a complete cover or partial. I think it was a full cover. Now gallon for gallon I do not know what the cost comparison would be but, the discussion I heard was after removing the plastic upper and lower trim along with other items that prep for the rubber material is not as intensive as automotive paint which seems logical and please excuse me if I'm wrong about prep i have not looked at it myself just hearing table talk.

But, there is an old member that I have not noticed on forum in a while when checking in with forum off and on that if it still works out will have a Hummer in SEMA using allot of rubberized material along with black diamond plating. I know some on this forum has used it on lower side of Hummers. So they could save allot as far as prep time etc. with black rubber material. But it seemed an interesting concept and that is what get's You in a SEMA booth for a sponsor if you can offer them something really WOW. But, something to look at. Do not know how hard but, at one time You had to take Your pickup to have it sprayed in the bed and now they have I saw a rolled on bed liner job that cost the guy very little and he took his time and bed looked excellent. A company has a spray on yourself. It would be permanent. I would not want to roll a truck i guess but, a good bodyman may be able to do a real good job depending on prep and with texture it would hide panels that He would normally have to work smooth for a fine clean paint job.

Well just a thought. I'm usually way out on the edge of envelope and outside of it sometimes. I have a paint job in mind that Dragon has been hit up about on a SUT a year ago I would like to do later and painters thought about it for a good while and I think Dragon figured out how he would get it done. I'm an old man He tries to make me happy. I try to stay out of his way so He can get more done. But, illness has kept me away from shop about 5 or 6 weeks which is almost unbearable and I miss little Nick allot. But, it is getting better and will be back pestering Dragon again. Coming up with others things and asking him can We do this and I get yeah it just takes money He always replies. So He is letting me know that is My job to come up with money and He will figure out how to get it done.

Well I must be feeling better I wrote a novel again those of You old timers know that running joke. But, hopefully a little imformative coming out of a year long strip it inside and out custom job where i learned things i never dreamed of needing to be done just to paint a ride much less all the blending of the different colors and getting them to match on the inside like on the outside. It was awesome to watch all the guys minds working on ideas for the Mall Queen. I think Dragon put some pics in that section that are little dark as it was not sunny outside but, it gives an idea. When Dragon get's me an awesome really sunny day Pic I will add it on the bottom of sig lines. The paint is really a much brighter catcher look and stripes across the nose of hood I do not think He got plus a full veiw of reverse cowl hood scoop. The custom skid plate and other things it s hard to try and think of all the things that need pics but, We will do a complete photobucket later and leave a link to go and see inside stuff full chromed exhaust system just allot of stuff. Hood scoop makes an H2 look really mean if the public thought they looked to big and monsterious for the road Dragon and the crew did not help that cause any but, I like looking like I will pull up behind and suck most cars up into the hood through the supercharger. I should stop talking about it make me want to go and get it to drive around but, Dragon is working on completing the audio/video and the final paint work He wants to do.

We have a few companies who would like to use the H2 at SEMA but, not looking like We can make it but, hopefully We will get back in the Spring SEMA GM 1 of 20 contest. They take applications of projects and out of hundreds the panel picks 20 from across the country. We were picked this last spring but, had a failure of Our dash 12" touch screen project which Dragon now has it figured out and completed but, dash broke while getting ready to load on trailer for INDY,ID and We had to pull out as it takes 2 weeks to mold the dash. Dragon got the feeling I think that they would like for us to apply again and understood that stuff happens especially in custom work. A few years back Chip Foose missed Vegas SEMA because of just not being able to meet deadline so it is part of the game.

It amazes Me Dragon takes it to shows and We know it is not where We want it and people still just go nuts over it with imperfections that the guys see that I do not. OH well that is why they do it for a living and I do not.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Go the 2 tone route. WAY cheaper to pain as they don't need to do door jambs etc. Would work REALLY well if your a STEELER fan or maybe the PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder
Go two tone for one.

Two tone requires clear over the entire panel so even if you basecoat the bottom half of a door for instance, you would clear the entire door. (unless of course you want to paint a stripe over the edge)
Bad idea.

Quote:
Check out the local trade/tech schools and get them to do it as a class assignment.

Even worse idea.... if you had a 1972 Pinto, perhaps but there is NO WAY in hell I would ever let any of those kids paint my H2. Having been in the bodyshop business for 25 years, I have taken many of those students and had to completely retrain them. They come out of those schools with just enough knowledge to piss me off. Unlike a student who graduates in engineering, though they may not have any experience, they at least have an education. Graduating from a tech or bodyshop school, they have to have knowledge and ability. Few and far between.

My suggestion if you can't afford to paint a vehicle and it isn't a POS, leave it alone until you can afford it.

Mark

Last edited by OrangeCrush : 09-13-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
......<encylopedia brittanica>.........
TAZ

I'll try to get through the first seven chapters or your novel before going to bed tonight. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Finally
To get rid of the pee color, I'd pay ANY amount...

OMFG!!!!!

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

OrangeCrush is on the money with two tone it is hard and real exspensive if done correctly. I know way less than Him but, have learned a little. Most likely He has forgotten more than i have picked up. Good job pointing that out Crush.

Crush may have to explain what i'm trying to say if i do not do it well, please help me Crush. We considered the hard line two tone which it appears is what was done to the yellow/black H2 in pics. I will try to explain on down the hard line job but, We really wanted to bling the paint more so Dragon planned in the 3 painted stripes to not have such a harsh two tone, if there is such a thing. Plus We wanted to dress the hood up with the scoop on it so the nose stripes just really made it work. The stripes are what made it cool to take theme right in the backdoor and as Dragon wants to do it will go all the way up the top of consoles and somehow onto the dash going around all the gadgets. The new rear console I'm told if Dragon has not changed it is where it is flat panel behind the rear captains in pics He posted He is going to mold it to hug around the seats more and almost touch the rear sub enclosures. It is not a drastic leap from sub enclosure and rear console for stripes but, still retain the amp and caps in the same area they are in now. Dragon and shop Boss did the design as i told them to have at it do not ask Me anything and some of it came as they went along as it just led itself from one idea to the next and i just showed up and drooled all over everything watching. But, as Crush mentioned You can use stripes if done right and money is spent on them as well. If Your not going to hard line the two colors then do a real nice elaborate stripe on the paint break rather than a single line stripe in My opinnion. But, have seen pleny of single lines that looked good but, were not straight lines. They were on paint jobs that swirled or moved around instead of straight line.

In TUNERZ cars You will see two tone and a decal stripe to go over the two colors at break point. The 2 colors are sanded extremely smooth then tape lines are not felt with fingers after clear coat. That decal will show a bump under it bad. Some want an odd stripe with colors in them You could not mix to paint and it could be a farely wide stripe. But, they put it on right before clear and shoot clear over it using a thick coat to have room to sand enough to get it smooth so you do not feel the raising of decal and since as Crush said you have to clear the whole door or in this case the whole ride anyways it is one way of doing the H2.

The other choice would be a hard line two tone paint where the 2 colors meet. It is painting the 2 colors right up almost to each other. You have one color painted to a hard line point to have as a guide and You hand paint the bottom or top color whichever one that did not come to the line break with brush and very steady hand paints the other color up to the break. If there is no one in the shop that can do it or really it is usually there is, they just do not want to do it. It is really hard work and cost You big money. If You do not do it allot it takes a good amount of time. Usually there is someone around the area as Dragon has even though they do it. You call a guy in to do that part that it is a specialty for him. He just has the steady hands along with allot of patience and he is a real pinstripe guy, not roll tape guy. The hardline he puts on is thicker so body guys can sand till smooth and blends in. Next shoot clear.

Crush if I did not explain this well please do it right. But, it just comes back to what you said it is not a good idea to two tone if You are not ready to spend what it costs done professionally.

Dragon has a pic of My daughters Tiburon two tone with a veilside kit a wing on trunk. But, it is a great two tone with a lighting bolt type Z on the side of it. It has a stripe on break but, Dragon's man in house hand painted it on. It is sweet. Has blue on top and pearl white on bottom. If You would like to see it and get ideas PM Dragon He has a photobucket You could get link to with allot of the shops custom work. One ride has airbrushed sheets of metal on it with rusted rivets and rust where the metal plates meet running down. It is unreal. But, many nice things to see if Your into just looking at art on wheels is what it is.

Well sorry for length again. CO HUMMER here is Your next nights home work to read. When You run out let me know. (SMILEY FACE placed here) I have not figured out how to get the faces on the new site. I have not had a chance to read instruction manual yet on this new fangled upscale site. I love how you guys and gals get them to jump around and hold signs.

My only excuse is all the meds I'm switching from and to new ones.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn. You must be able to type really fast Taz.

-007=
Old 09-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Hummer Professional

Sportsdude is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan06SUT
Take off all acseeories you want to keep, sell the yellow, buy a balck for the same price. Or go to a stealership that has a black one in similar shape, year, etc and tell them you will swap H2's with them for $2,000.00. That way you wont be Hummer less between deals. 2k is cheap and a hell of a lot quicker than having someone paint the truck.

This idea sounds really good after reading TAZ's post. I'm getting ready to return back to the US of A so maybe I will sell it and pick up another. Thanks folks for the info.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Yellow rocks. Sounds like you're not much of a man tho. Ditch it and go black with teh rest of the wussies.

Stacy
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Here's the bottom line!...Go to any of the larger BORDER Towns!.....let it be known You want a 30K paint Job--super, cutom, and trick!.......All the good Painters walked across the border (Accepting the $12,000 Bucks from the Dems), and set up shop!......, with fake papers!

Anyway, Cheap Labor, Cheap Paint, Good Work, fast turnaround..couple, three days, for a show stopper! Try Aggodoas(sp) area!

If You live in the Bigger Places, with Bigger $$$.$$,....Just Expect to pay the BIG PRICES!... Simple Math!

Last edited by Big Z : 09-14-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
I would have to double check with Dragon but, He prices a small rice rocket starting at $5,000 on the low end of custom but, real nice. He takes everything off the car to paint it. Not much of masking tape on chrome trim in His work.

My H2 I think was around $5,000 just in value of paint and clear that was Our sponsors Sikkens cost through the local paint dealer who handled the shipments. That did not include other material used. You think the body panels are nice and straight and smooth just let a bodyman show You how bad it is out off showroom if He does not spend allot of time blocking the whole rig to put some real sharp looking paint on it. Well any other ride it will tell real quick how much time was put in before the paint was ever thought off being shot on. I learned allot of stuff I never even imagined watching the
Strip Mall Queen go to finally a real Mall Queen watching how many imperfections were found when the paint was stripped to metal and then see the work it took to just get it to paint and Dragon is not happy still. He wants to block sand the clear some more as they look at it and want SEMA quality period. I'm saying guys I do not see what your talking about but, they know they have been to SEMA with Us. That body guy or painter he can see it when You or I cannot and that is what is judging the ride where ever it is at shows are guys that do that work etc.

Props to You guys who do this work as it is allot more than primer and paint. A GREAT amount of skill needed in this field of work. Especially You guys who try to come up with custom jobs over and over. It is like being an artist if You have never spent time around these guys and then the ones that can air brush on top is unreal.

But, Dragon had I think House of Kolor mix color metal flake He used in the top black color on Our Mall Queen that makes it look like a blueing on a gun barrel if light is hitting at angle with the flake added to the black. It is not a true black. More blue in it than You can see in pics. So We like to have it in sun or bright light for showing.

I think total cost was and We are talking estimating shop labor etc. which included custom fabing stuff and shaving stuff was about $30,000.00 on paint job with that number NOT being retail cost on most products. We are not completed quite yet. But, I think it is a close number with the other stuff to do.

So the $10,000 range for solid non-metalic with no extra labor for changing body shape etc.. That is where the cost really gets high with it being so tedious altering the ride in anyway from stock would be about right if completely disassembled the way He and some of the other great painters on this forum do. But, they will tell You they will have to do more than sand, pime, and paint. I learned allot!! I cannot remember how many times My hood was taken off and on to get lines right and change this and that working with fiberglass on part of the truck and metal on another part back and forth.

I would suggest something if Your thinking black although I think You can make yellow look real good as i have seen some nice ones. I like it and think that if you could get an air brush guy and let him use some orange, red, white, and sort of a tequalia sunrise theme would look good.

I'm very serious about this as it is showing up in shows. LINEX, RHINO or any other brand of rubberized coating. It has been used mostly on the lower half and a few other configurations. There has been discussions I have been in on at national level in SEMA talk. I heard of someone doing an H2 with the coating. But, it was not understood if it was going to be a complete cover or partial. I think it was a full cover. Now gallon for gallon I do not know what the cost comparison would be but, the discussion I heard was after removing the plastic upper and lower trim along with other items that prep for the rubber material is not as intensive as automotive paint which seems logical and please excuse me if I'm wrong about prep i have not looked at it myself just hearing table talk.

But, there is an old member that I have not noticed on forum in a while when checking in with forum off and on that if it still works out will have a Hummer in SEMA using allot of rubberized material along with black diamond plating. I know some on this forum has used it on lower side of Hummers. So they could save allot as far as prep time etc. with black rubber material. But it seemed an interesting concept and that is what get's You in a SEMA booth for a sponsor if you can offer them something really WOW. But, something to look at. Do not know how hard but, at one time You had to take Your pickup to have it sprayed in the bed and now they have I saw a rolled on bed liner job that cost the guy very little and he took his time and bed looked excellent. A company has a spray on yourself. It would be permanent. I would not want to roll a truck i guess but, a good bodyman may be able to do a real good job depending on prep and with texture it would hide panels that He would normally have to work smooth for a fine clean paint job.

Well just a thought. I'm usually way out on the edge of envelope and outside of it sometimes. I have a paint job in mind that Dragon has been hit up about on a SUT a year ago I would like to do later and painters thought about it for a good while and I think Dragon figured out how he would get it done. I'm an old man He tries to make me happy. I try to stay out of his way so He can get more done. But, illness has kept me away from shop about 5 or 6 weeks which is almost unbearable and I miss little Nick allot. But, it is getting better and will be back pestering Dragon again. Coming up with others things and asking him can We do this and I get yeah it just takes money He always replies. So He is letting me know that is My job to come up with money and He will figure out how to get it done.

Well I must be feeling better I wrote a novel again those of You old timers know that running joke. But, hopefully a little imformative coming out of a year long strip it inside and out custom job where i learned things i never dreamed of needing to be done just to paint a ride much less all the blending of the different colors and getting them to match on the inside like on the outside. It was awesome to watch all the guys minds working on ideas for the Mall Queen. I think Dragon put some pics in that section that are little dark as it was not sunny outside but, it gives an idea. When Dragon get's me an awesome really sunny day Pic I will add it on the bottom of sig lines. The paint is really a much brighter catcher look and stripes across the nose of hood I do not think He got plus a full veiw of reverse cowl hood scoop. The custom skid plate and other things it s hard to try and think of all the things that need pics but, We will do a complete photobucket later and leave a link to go and see inside stuff full chromed exhaust system just allot of stuff. Hood scoop makes an H2 look really mean if the public thought they looked to big and monsterious for the road Dragon and the crew did not help that cause any but, I like looking like I will pull up behind and suck most cars up into the hood through the supercharger. I should stop talking about it make me want to go and get it to drive around but, Dragon is working on completing the audio/video and the final paint work He wants to do.

We have a few companies who would like to use the H2 at SEMA but, not looking like We can make it but, hopefully We will get back in the Spring SEMA GM 1 of 20 contest. They take applications of projects and out of hundreds the panel picks 20 from across the country. We were picked this last spring but, had a failure of Our dash 12" touch screen project which Dragon now has it figured out and completed but, dash broke while getting ready to load on trailer for INDY,ID and We had to pull out as it takes 2 weeks to mold the dash. Dragon got the feeling I think that they would like for us to apply again and understood that stuff happens especially in custom work. A few years back Chip Foose missed Vegas SEMA because of just not being able to meet deadline so it is part of the game.

It amazes Me Dragon takes it to shows and We know it is not where We want it and people still just go nuts over it with imperfections that the guys see that I do not. OH well that is why they do it for a living and I do not.

TAZ

x2