H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of the dealers that sell cars to high risk folks aready have that device Phil. If you do not make your payment they will try to deactivate the vehicle remotely. Sounds like a lawsuit but they do it.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

oops another good story. I sold an H2 to a guy taht had not held a job in 8 years. this guy looked like a member of zz top without a shower for a month. His parents had left him a house when they passed and he had 250k in his checking account and wanted an H2. He paid full pop cash and lives in a trailer outside of town. Well one day his wife calls and says he ran off with the neighbor and she needs to locate him. This guy was smart in that he never listed his wife on the paperwork and when I pulled his on-star enrollment sheet he offerd no other people on his account. The thing is i told her there was nothing i could do to help her, she had to contct the police. If a numbnut had gotten the call and given her the passcode (if he didn't change it) She might have had enough with a police report that he is missing to locacte the man. Scarey stuff! a year later her blew all the money and traded the H2 for a pick-up. The truck had 45000 miles on it in one year....
Old 06-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by usetosellhummer:
Some of the dealers that sell cars to high risk folks aready have that device Phil. If you do not make your payment they will try to deactivate the vehicle remotely. Sounds like a lawsuit but they do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We helped develop a system for a big buy here pay here dealer that could get the vehicles location via GPS. We used a paging system and a GPS unit that could be hidden in the vehicle. When it was time to repo they would send a signal to the pager that would turn on the GPS unit so they could locate it. They only tracked the vehicle if they were repoing it and did not disable the vehicle. They could then pick the best time to grab it. That is how these dealers make their money. Sell them at a high interest rate to anyone, if they pay great, if not just repo it and sell it to someone else.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

I think the real reason he doesn't want onstar is because he's afraid that they will see that he likes to frequent the gay bars.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:20 AM

WPBGUY is off the scale

I think the On-Star is great. I keep discovering new features. I knew that they could run remote diag via satelite. I just found out that you can do it your self via the internet. You can also view you mileage, service and recall records. You can also get automated e-mails monthly or when and event occours. I You will asso get e-mails reminding you that service is needed. here is the link to sign up.

https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home

here is a sample: I think is is so COOL!!!!

OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics for your
2006 Hummer H3 as of 09/17/2005
Dear WPBGUY,
Welcome! We're glad you chose to enroll in the OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics service, exclusively for OnStar-equipped GM vehicles. Here is your first of the ongoing e-mail reports you'll receive about every 30 days to help keep your vehicle ready for the road. In each report, we'll tell you about the performance of certain vehicle systems and let you know when it is time for scheduled vehicle maintenance. This type of active maintenance can help add years of life to your GM vehicle while lowering your cost of ownership. We hope you enjoy the many benefits of OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics.
You'll find top-line checkup results below. A green, yellow, or red symbol helps to quickly indicate if any action is needed. For more detailed information, just click as shown.
If you have questions about this report or OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, please call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) or push the blue OnStar button in your vehicle.

VIN:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Account Number:
000-000-0000
Vehicle Phone Number:

Engine and/or Transmission System
Diagnostic Status: Complete. No action needed.
More Information

Antilock Braking System
More Information

Air Bag System
More Information

OnStar System
More Information

Remaining Oil Life: 100%
No service needed.
More Information

Mileage: 3,895
No maintenance needed.
More Information

Hands-Free Calling:
92 minutes remaining.
Good until 06/12/2006.
More Information

This is an automated e-mail — please do not respond. If you no longer wish to participate in the OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics service or feel you have received this e-mail in error, please call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) to speak to an Advisor. Please allow up to 30 days to process your request.

Diagnostic capability varies by model. Requires valid e-mail address. The cost of required maintenance are not included in this service.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: OnStar services require vehicle electrical system (including battery), wireless service, and GPS satellite signals to be available and operating for features to function properly. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Subscription Service Agreement required. The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog wireless network after February 16, 2008. As of January 1, 2008, OnStar plans to offer service only through equipment that operates on the digital network, which may require the purchase of a system upgrade for eligible vehicles. Call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) or visit onstar.com for Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, and system limitations and details. Additional information can be found in the OnStar Owner's Guide.

Do you have questions or concerns? Direct any inquiries to customercare@onstar.com. Please include your OnStar account number with your inquiry.

You can contact OnStar at the following address: OnStar Subscriber Services, P.O. Box 0217, Troy, MI, 48099-0217.

© 2005 OnStar Corporation. All rights reserved. OnStar and the OnStar emblem are registered trademarks of the OnStar Corporation.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:29 AM
Hummer Professional

Efrain is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tkat:
At the risk or being labeled a paranoid whacko, it is a privacy thing for me.

I work in the technology world, and I see abuses of information and access all of the time. I wouldn't get a TiVo for the same reason. The contracts for OnStar and Tivo are very similar - the service provider has the right to access their hardware and download any information that they want.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that there's already a black box on some cars and its not the onstar. that black box can be used by law enforcement agencies to determine your speed in a car crash and might also be used by insurance agencies. So you are on the right track about the black box, but on the wrong track about it being onstar.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Efrain:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tkat:
At the risk or being labeled a paranoid whacko, it is a privacy thing for me.

I work in the technology world, and I see abuses of information and access all of the time. I wouldn't get a TiVo for the same reason. The contracts for OnStar and Tivo are very similar - the service provider has the right to access their hardware and download any information that they want.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that there's already a black box on some cars and its not the onstar. that black box can be used by law enforcement agencies to determine your speed in a car crash and might also be used by insurance agencies. So you are on the right track about the black box, but on the wrong track about it being onstar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are correct, the onstar module is not the infamous black box, the infamous black box is the SDM used to control the air bags.

tkat:
if you are that paranoid, u can just pull the fuse, and the onstar module is disabled. pull the fuse for the SDM and your air bags are disabled, but the aluminum foil will protect your head
Old 09-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

crotch_rocket_pilot is off the scale

Just remember, just because your paranoid...doesnt mean they're not looking at you!