H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-17-2005, 12:54 PM

tkat is off the scale

I posted this on the Technical forum, too, but I'm not sure if that gets as much activity.

Now that OnStar is standard on GM (I'm looking at Hummer H3), I'm trying to find a definitive answer to this question:

Can I completely disconnect and remove the OnStar box? If I do, will it disrupt the engine or other electronics systems? Will I loose anything that is not OnStar?

I know that I can disconnect antenna, remove fuse, pull cord from mirror, etc. But can I pull the box completely?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:54 PM

tkat is off the scale

I posted this on the Technical forum, too, but I'm not sure if that gets as much activity.

Now that OnStar is standard on GM (I'm looking at Hummer H3), I'm trying to find a definitive answer to this question:

Can I completely disconnect and remove the OnStar box? If I do, will it disrupt the engine or other electronics systems? Will I loose anything that is not OnStar?

I know that I can disconnect antenna, remove fuse, pull cord from mirror, etc. But can I pull the box completely?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, don't have the answer for you, but have a question. Why do you want to totally remove it?

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

The onstar system is not tied to any operations of other systems. You could remove it and not lose anything else (besides the phone feature as well..) Just curious -- why would you want to do this?

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 06-17-2005, 02:09 PM

tkat is off the scale

At the risk or being labeled a paranoid whacko, it is a privacy thing for me.

I work in the technology world, and I see abuses of information and access all of the time. I wouldn't get a TiVo for the same reason. The contracts for OnStar and Tivo are very similar - the service provider has the right to access their hardware and download any information that they want.

On the older OnStar, I would have just yanked the VCU to prevent access to the data, but now the cell and black box are one unit.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:17 PM

Billy Ray is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tkat:
At the risk or being labeled a paranoid whacko, it is a privacy thing for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Odd that you should ask. I was just about to post the same question.

I agree with you on the privacy issue.

BR
Old 06-17-2005, 02:20 PM

firm is off the scale

tkat- tell me more about these abuses, and TiVo.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

I know that TiVo can keep track of what people watch, what they re-watch (e.g. they knew how many people replayed Janet Jackson's super bowl performance). And they'll also make 'suggestions' as to what you may like...they say that its not tied to any account information (Name, Address, etc) but it certainly seems like they have the capability to do so...

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 06-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Hummer Guru

Personally I don't care if TiVo knows what I watch. What are they going to do, tell my mother I watched that "R" rated movie three time. They can provide the service they do at the price they do because they track this type of information and sell it for more income. I would doubt that any of the information sold would have any more detail about you other then broken down to city or zip code. This allows the networks to offer more shows that people are actually watching. I also don't care if GM knows how many miles I drive or where I drive for that matter. Unless I am doing something wrong and don't want them to know where I am at, then it really won't effect me. I am also in the tech industry and there are definitely abuses going on but those are primarily online abuses as far as I know. Just my opinion and to each his own

Old 06-17-2005, 03:19 PM

tkat is off the scale

OK - A last post before I bail on this thread since it is quickly going off-topic.

HummerNewbie is correct that everyone is entitled to their opinion. The fact is that most people are willing to trade the accumulation of their data for marketing purposes (within limits) in return for convenience or features.

For those that asked for more information, searching the web for TiVo or Onstar and privacy will get you lots of hits. Note that there is a lot of junk and rumors out there - don't beleive most of what you read. (For instance, I'm pretty sure that OnStar does NOT just open the mic in your vehicle to listen covertly)

Thanks for those that responded to the original question and I'm sorry if I fueled an off-topic discussion.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Hummer Guru

tkat,

No need to appologize for the topic. If you are going to ask the question, this is probably the most likely place to get the right answer. May get some jabs here and there to go with your answer but you didn't take any of our questions/posts as an attack so you will do well here You are correct that most will go with convenience rather than privacy. More power to you if you choose the privacy I certainly was not trying to say you were wrong, just putting in my two cents which could be wrong anyway

Old 06-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Hummer Guru

Having fun Fox Keep them coming.

Its all in fun tkat

Old 06-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Cut the box and everything should be fine. It is a very usefull tool to track you and your vehicle. They won't admit it but I belive they will be able to disable a vehicle in the near future ( late on payment, crime, etc.)
Old 06-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by usetosellhummer:
They won't admit it but I belive they will be able to disable a vehicle in the near future ( late on payment, crime, etc.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I might take it out at that point. Couldn't tell you how many stories I have heard about GMAC applying a payment to the wrong account. Guess you could have a case on your hands if this happened though

Old 06-17-2005, 05:52 PM

tkat is off the scale

Cheers to those on the forum. Rest assured that I don't take any comments here personally. I just wasn't sure that this was the correct forum to get into social politics.

Reading through the forum and getting feedback from those that have purchased has been very informative. It is like comparing apples to oranges, but I'm torn between a true off-roader like the H3 or waiting until winter to see the new Audi Q7. It is much more sport than utility, but I'm not sure which way I want to go, yet.

BTW - Love the cat! Had to put down my Siamese a couple of years ago.