H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-22-2004, 03:02 PM

johnnyrako is off the scale

All these intake, exhaust systems and other performance parts say they improve gas mileage. Have any of you experienced an increase?

All these intake, exhaust systems and other performance parts say they improve gas mileage. Have any of you experienced an increase?

Old 05-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

On my Tundra I installed a K&N FIPK intake system and an off road free flow muffler. I think the loud noise "tricked" me into thinking that it had more power than reality. Where it made a difference was hauling heavy items up hill. As for the MPG, I got an average of 15 before the "upgrades and got 15 after. I will admit that I gunned the accelerator often because I liked the sound. Also, my driving habits may have chnged for the worse to evoke the loud rumble as well. Nonetheless, I do plan on getting a cat back system for the H2 but i won't mess with the intake. Too loud!
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 05-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Hummer Professional

It\'s a Dry Heat is off the scale

Spend $10,000 for a supper charger and get 17 mph. It might work out at $2 a gal of gas. Or only pick the roads that are going down hill. Sorry I'm bored. With the supper charger you can have fun driving around with 550 HP while your getting your money back with expensive gas.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

Bevo is off the scale

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=657108395 &r=900101006#900101006
Yellow 03 Adventure w/black Grill, UM8 Touch Screen Navigation Radio, U2K XM Digital Radio, Remote 6-CD Changer, JBA Titanium Headers, Corsa Off-Road Sport, Airaid Filter & MIT, Nology Wires & Plugs, S&P Pro-Flash, Warn 9.5ti w/X-Line, Toyo Open Country M/T 37x13.5.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

HHummer is off the scale

With a little luck, you will see a one mile per gallon increase with the free flow air filter and Corsa type exhaust replacement. Probably will pay for itself in 50,000 miles at $2 gas. Having monitored several vehicles, I have also documented a small increase in fuel economy by switching to Mobil 1/synthetic oil. Same payback, as the increase will essentially pay for the cost of the oil change at 5,000 mile intervals. Obviously driving conditions have the greatest effect. My '04 H2 with the Corsa, Airaid, and Mobil 1 will dependably maintain 15 mpg on flat interstate in a no wind condition with cruise set at 69 mph (65mph speed limit-no traffic stops at 4 over). But, after leaving the freeway and entering into urban stops and starts, hills, and stop light idling, it is nearly impossible to stay above 13mpg for the tank.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:12 PM

I did the K&N filter thing and didn't see a difference. I was just curious if any of these accessories work or if they are just a marketing hype
Old 06-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

Blue is off the scale

I replaced the air filter with the AIRAID and didn't see much in fuel economy improvement. Added Basanni Cat-back system, which showed slight improvement for fuel economy (1MPG). Added Basanni full headers (Cal legal) and I've added another 1 to 2 MPG on average. I typically drive 80% on the higway at 70MPH and rest is city stop and go.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the exhaust and intake. Maybe one mpg improvement. As with most I think your habits change when you hear that V8 rumble.
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

DavidAragon is off the scale

I was getting around 9.5mpg when I first got my 03' Pewter H2. I installed a K&N FIPK and a tornado and now I get 11.5mpg.

I don't think the FIPK seals up tight so if anyone has any tricks that may help, I would be interested.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Despite what they claim, air filters and exhausts do not increase mileage much--they are to let the engine breath and expel exhaust better for improved performance. Mileage is secondary---they just want to sell the stuff so they put that in their ad---it is true but almost unmeasurable.

Headers do improve mileage a bit and are worth it for improved performance--you will never pay them off in gas savings though.