H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff P is off the scale

I know this has been discussed before and I have read the threads. I have relocated my H2 to a recently purchased place in the mountains of Colorado. I am currently running 37" procomp xterrains and am wondering about the need for chains. When I took the H2 out there last month there was some snow but not a great deal of it, however the road next to my place had quite a bit that would thaw then refreeze and I had some trouble getting up this road and was sliding around alot. I ended up coming down a different way (not so steep)because I was sure I would just slide all the way down. Does anyone have any ideas whether chains or cables or siping or all three. If so do I need to go back to stock tires? I am going back out there the day after Christmas and would like to be properly prepared.

Thanks,

Jeff
2004 F350
1997 Passport (son\'s car}
2002 Black H1(replaced H2)(YEAH!!)
Hummer Veteran

Jeff P is off the scale

I know this has been discussed before and I have read the threads. I have relocated my H2 to a recently purchased place in the mountains of Colorado. I am currently running 37" procomp xterrains and am wondering about the need for chains. When I took the H2 out there last month there was some snow but not a great deal of it, however the road next to my place had quite a bit that would thaw then refreeze and I had some trouble getting up this road and was sliding around alot. I ended up coming down a different way (not so steep)because I was sure I would just slide all the way down. Does anyone have any ideas whether chains or cables or siping or all three. If so do I need to go back to stock tires? I am going back out there the day after Christmas and would like to be properly prepared.

Thanks,

Jeff
2004 F350
Hummer Veteran

Jeff P is off the scale

Thanks,

Jeff
2004 F350
Old 11-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff P:

Thanks,

Jeff <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
1st and most importantly, can I have a set of keys to your place by the ski resorts?

Get some chains! I have not found a good set for 37's yet, but you can get them.
No matter what type of tires, you will slide on the packed snow and ice. Also the last thing you want is to drive up here and get stuck (I'm assuming you drive the truck here from FL).

There are many times that there are chain restrictions and you will need them to drive jsut on the main roads.

do a search for these under the FIND button and you should FIND what you need.
Good luck.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff P is off the scale

Actually I have relocated the H2 to Colorado Springs near the airport. I'm worried about clearance with chains and the 37's. So I am cosidering putting the stock tires back on and getting the chains from tirechains.com
2004 F350
Old 11-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff P is off the scale

BTW my property is pretty remote. About 100 miles west of Colorado Springs (about 30 miles from Royal Gorge)
2004 F350
Old 11-30-2004, 01:05 AM
Hummer Guru

Nice on the property.

I went on the website and saw your chains. Wich ones are you thinking about going with?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff P is off the scale

So, what do you think I should do?
2004 F350
Old 11-30-2004, 01:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff P is off the scale

Sorry, I misunderstood your reply. I'm not sure. Either the v bar or med duty. I also have read about rud chains, supposed to be easy to put on. But should I go back to stock first?
2004 F350
Old 11-30-2004, 02:19 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff P:
Sorry, I misunderstood your reply. I'm not sure. Either the v bar or med duty. I also have read about rud chains, supposed to be easy to put on. But should I go back to stock first? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
you mentioned you went to 37's.
What kind of height restrictions are you dealing with?
If you are concerned about height, i have 37" BFG MTR's on mine with a Gobi stealth rack (sits just a smidge higher than stock roof bars) and I can fit in my garage that has a height of 7'2".

I wouldn't worry too much about fitting into too many places. you could always remove your roof bars if you don't use them. If you like the look any may use them, than going to stock 35's would still fit with the chains.

BTW- how remote? Is this why you are wanting them? Or are you getting them for driving on the road when chain restrictions are in effect?
Old 11-30-2004, 02:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff P is off the scale

I was refering to wheel well clearance and the possibility of damage to the truck. As far as your last question the answer is both. I'm 23 miles up a dirt road that is plowed in winter.
2004 F350
Old 11-30-2004, 03:15 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

The chains I know of for the 37's are'nt cheap, but they are supposed to work really well. http://www.bluehummer.com/tirechains1.html

-007=
Old 11-30-2004, 04:44 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

Call up Blue Hummer and ask them about running the H1 chains on your H2 tires and see what they have to say.

Look at the inside of your tires and see how much clearance u have w/ the 37" tires.
If u can't fit the palm of an average size hand between yor tire and the body or suspension, I wouldn't use chains.
The chains are about the size of your fingers and any ice or crude build up and they will get bigger.
BTW if u see mostly hardpack and ice the cable chain would be OK, and they are only the size of a pencil or so.

Hope this helps more.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 AM

markw is off the scale

I got some SCC Super Z cable chains (part #LT853 for stock 315/70/17). They seem to have a wide range of sizes: http://www.scc-chain.com/Pages%20Tra...oducts/zt.html. I ordered them on line from Vulcan. The reason that I went for the SCC chains is that fitting appears to be very easy and clearance is good.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do chains help with deep snow?

I've read through the posts talking about packed snow and ice, but I'm curious if anyone has got stuck in deep fresh snow and was able to get out with just chains.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:45 PM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CslRkH2:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Attached Images

Old 01-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

It's looking a bit cold down there in vegas...

'03 H2
Old 01-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CslRkH2:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very helpful...Thanks!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:09 PM

rodster is off the scale

Very helpful...Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry 'bout that. Couldn't resist!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Hummer Expert

I actually love playin in the snow, but the cold is another story.

Let's compare weather in July