H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-28-2005, 05:33 PM

Mori is off the scale

Hi,

We're (our company) considering getting an H2 for me due to its ample cargo space.

Why the H2 SUT? Our country has stupid laws - we get a price deduction of 22% on VAT tax if the car is a pickup truck. :-/

Anyway - I don't like traditional pickups (like a Ford F-150). The boss has an X5 which I've driven a few times and its almost as good as my sport hatchback.

Back to the topic - I will be covering large distances with the car with cargo that has to be transported quickly and safely - hence I will want the best on-road performance possible. What would you suggest as a good strictly interstate/autobahn wheel/tire combo? I was thinking of going in the 20-24" direction with suitable tires (please help me find something which is only for road use - can't find anything on Dunlop/Pirelli/etc. sites). I will keep the stock 17" wheels and tires for my own personal use when I'm not working, and just slap them on for the weekends.

This is what I was considering so far:
http://www.zinikwheels.com/gall-Z12.htm

In either 22 or 24" - the price is pretty good on it but what tires to get?

Another issue is concerning the midgate thingy - its foldable but if I'm driving in the wet/snow I guess its not terrible comfy. Is there anyway to seal off the front row from the back when the midgate is down?

How practical is the rear spare tire? Will swinging it open to undo the tailgate wear me down with time or will I get used to it?

Whats the on-road ride compared to on-road SUVs like the BMW X5 or Volvo XC90?

Please don't trash me for the wheel size - I know you guys are offroaders, but I really want good traction and feel on the road and autobahn.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:33 PM

Mori is off the scale

Hi,

We're (our company) considering getting an H2 for me due to its ample cargo space.

Why the H2 SUT? Our country has stupid laws - we get a price deduction of 22% on VAT tax if the car is a pickup truck. :-/

Anyway - I don't like traditional pickups (like a Ford F-150). The boss has an X5 which I've driven a few times and its almost as good as my sport hatchback.

Back to the topic - I will be covering large distances with the car with cargo that has to be transported quickly and safely - hence I will want the best on-road performance possible. What would you suggest as a good strictly interstate/autobahn wheel/tire combo? I was thinking of going in the 20-24" direction with suitable tires (please help me find something which is only for road use - can't find anything on Dunlop/Pirelli/etc. sites). I will keep the stock 17" wheels and tires for my own personal use when I'm not working, and just slap them on for the weekends.

This is what I was considering so far:
http://www.zinikwheels.com/gall-Z12.htm

In either 22 or 24" - the price is pretty good on it but what tires to get?

Another issue is concerning the midgate thingy - its foldable but if I'm driving in the wet/snow I guess its not terrible comfy. Is there anyway to seal off the front row from the back when the midgate is down?

How practical is the rear spare tire? Will swinging it open to undo the tailgate wear me down with time or will I get used to it?

Whats the on-road ride compared to on-road SUVs like the BMW X5 or Volvo XC90?

Please don't trash me for the wheel size - I know you guys are offroaders, but I really want good traction and feel on the road and autobahn.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Hummer Professional

rocketw19 is an unknown quantity at this point

were not all off-roaders i like the big rim small tire combo just not on my hummer i went with 24" rims and a 37" toyo mud tire. thats my compramize. i think you would like it best also just for the fact that you drive in snow. no once the mid gate is down its down no way around that. i have a ****ty picture of my sut i will try and post so you can see my rim/tire combo. and fair warning your gonna get flamed for askin questions you can find your self.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:47 PM

Mori is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rocketw19:
i think you would like it best also just for the fact that you drive in snow. no once the mid gate is down its down no way around that. i have a ****ty picture of my sut i will try and post so you can see my rim/tire combo. and fair warning your gonna get flamed for askin questions you can find your self. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will get a set of 17" winter tires for the winter. All season's are a big no no.

Thanks for the pic. I will probably end up with either 20-22 inches or the stock 17s with new on-road tires (due to price). Mud/off road tires don't cut it at all. We've had A/T's on our long gone Merc ML430 and they were a POS.

Thanks for the warning - I did run through a lot of the threads on here and google, but still some of the questions I have remain unanswered. If I asked something obvious then forgive me, but I don't have much time to do research.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Hummer Professional

i see your gonna have the stocks set up for winter. for strictly performance id use a pirelli p-zero they wear fast but thats cuzz they handle the best. id also go with a 22" rim so you can have more of a sidewall option. 24s are limeted to rubberbands witch will have a ****ty ride.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:31 PM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mori:
I will be covering large distances with the car with cargo that has to be transported quickly and safely </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh oh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there anyway to seal off the front row from the back when the midgate is down? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. If you get the tonneau cover then all that's left open is the rear window, which probably won't let in too much cold air while you're blazing down the autobahn.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How practical is the rear spare tire? Will swinging it open to undo the tailgate wear me down with time or will I get used to it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people keep the spare mounted on the back while others take it off. I kept the tire on my SUT and have never found it to be too much hassle. If it gets to be too much hassle for you, there's a light/frame kit you can get to move the license plate to the bumper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Whats the on-road ride compared to on-road SUVs like the BMW X5 or Volvo XC90? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't driven either but I've been a passenger in both BMW and Volvo SUVs. Granted, I'm prejudiced, but to me the H2 is a far better ride.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">. . . but I don't have much time to do research. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet you expect others to make time to answer?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:42 PM

Mori is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mori:
I will be covering large distances with the car with cargo that has to be transported quickly and safely </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh oh.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Quickly and safely don't pair up?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
No. If you get the tonneau cover then all that's left open is the rear window, which probably won't let in too much cold air while you're blazing down the autobahn.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sounds good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I haven't driven either but I've been a passenger in both BMW and Volvo SUVs. Granted, I'm prejudiced, but to me the H2 is a far better ride.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't mean comfort - I am mainly reffering to handling, such as relatively high-speed bends, body roll, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Yet you expect others to make time to answer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No. I was making an excuse for not researching stuff more. It is up to you to answer or just flame me, or perhaps even ignore me totally.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:49 PM

rodster is off the scale

I don't mean comfort - I am mainly reffering to handling, such as relatively high-speed bends, body roll, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, got it. Not sure what to say other than the SUT is not a sports sedan. Given your emphasis on performance, you might want to take a good long test drive before buying.

No. I was making an excuse for not researching stuff more. It is up to you to answer or just flame me, or perhaps even ignore me totally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understood.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:34 PM

Mori is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
I don't mean comfort - I am mainly reffering to handling, such as relatively high-speed bends, body roll, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, got it. Not sure what to say other than the SUT is not a sports sedan. Given your emphasis on performance, you might want to take a good long test drive before buying.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - I kinda noticed. I've got my little Porsche killer in the garage anyway, so I don't mind so much.

One more thing: how well does it drive in delicate (as in not hardcore) off-road terrain with the stock tires?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Hummer Authority

Boss Hoss is off the scale

I have not driven the x5 but my wife drives a 330. From the few beamers ive driven including my wifes the BMW is a "drivers car" and performs very well. My understanding is the x5 handles as well as the 3series. That being said, the Hummer will not handle nearly as good as the X5. It is MUCH more comfortable and the ride quality is very good, but the suspension is not performance oriented in the way you are asking. This doesnt mean it cant be done however. Im sure you can make one handle nicely even though the aerodynamics of the H2 are pretty wrotten.

Personally i cannot think of anything would rather drive than my H2.

20in Kaotik NT-1s with 35x13.50Pro Comp Xtreme All terrain
Old 12-28-2005, 08:19 PM

Mori is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
I have not driven the x5 but my wife drives a 330. From the few beamers ive driven including my wifes the BMW is a "drivers car" and performs very well. My understanding is the x5 handles as well as the 3series. That being said, the Hummer will not handle nearly as good as the X5. It is MUCH more comfortable and the ride quality is very good, but the suspension is not performance oriented in the way you are asking. This doesnt mean it cant be done however. Im sure you can make one handle nicely even though the aerodynamics of the H2 are pretty wrotten.

Personally i cannot think of anything would rather drive than my H2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

And thanks to all those above who replied too. More comments always welcome.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Hummer Professional

ooops wrong picture!
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Hummer Professional

how do i make the pictures smaller? mori thoes are 24s with a 37"mud tire rides very nice! you cant tell cuzz the picture is junk but the tire still has a mean look to it.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:41 PM

Mori is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rocketw19:
how do i make the pictures smaller? mori thoes are 24s with a 37"mud tire rides very nice! you cant tell cuzz the picture is junk but the tire still has a mean look to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sweet ride! Looks mean enough. Tell me - how do 37" tires translate to regular sizes such as 315/40 R24 and the like?

What tire size (without changeing the overall tire+rim diameter) is suggested for 20, 22 and 24" wheels?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 PM

rodster is off the scale

One more thing: how well does it drive in delicate (as in not hardcore) off-road terrain with the stock tires? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The stock tire is a good multi-purpose tire. Have a click: http://www.*******club.com/tech/h2_tires.html
Old 12-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will be covering large distances with the car with cargo that has to be transported quickly and safely </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Better have that gas card ready!!!! I have also found that I need to be very organized as to what to carry as the cargo space is very limited. No need to worry about those off road deliveries at all--that is where the beast was born to be.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!